The Archaeology of Morphine – Michael Jackson’s Darkest Hours

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
<header class="post_title_darkgrey"> The Archaeology of Morphine &#8211; Michael Jackson&#8217;s Darkest Hours

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2013/07/the-archaeology-of-morphine-michael-jacksons-darkest-hours

</header>
mjack1-1024x677.jpg
Posted by: Charles t. g. Clarke , <time class="entry-date" datetime="2013-07-23T23:26:57+00:00">July 23, 2013</time>
Morphine is one of the most famous drugs in the world and has brought to an end, the lives of some of the most famous people on the planet. Morphine abuse is news nearly every day of the year throughout the world.

In the Irish national newspaper the Independent, a report on the 22nd of July A.D. 2013 discusses how Dr. Liam Farrell, a GP became addicted to Morphine, a result of the stress brought on by being in positions of &#8220;immense responsibility and trust&#8221;.
There are a myriad of factors which bring on the need to take Morphine or any other drug, but once you begin it is difficult to stop. How did we get this far with Morphine? Well, its history is quite recent, but its roots go much deeper. This article will look at the history of morphine, the use of opium in prehistory and Michael Jackson&#8217;s portrayal of the drug in a practically unknown song he wrote and recorded.

mjack2.jpg
The Structure of Morphine : Wiki Commons

A new more potent drug was unleashed on the world 209 years ago in the dead of winter A.D. 1804 by Friedrich Wilhelm Adam Sertürner (A.D. 1783 &#8211; A.D. 1841). The uneducated 21 year old pharmacist assistant had a curiosity to rival that of Alice in her wonderland. Friedrich was interested in the properties of opium, eventually isolating an organic alkaloid compound. He asked three of his friends to ingest 30 mg of this compound each, after 45 minutes the three experience abdominal pain like no other and Friedrich had to induce vomiting on all three.

mjack3-757x1024.jpg
Friedrich Sertürner : Wiki Commons

Unperturbed, he continued to test the positive and negative effects of the drug, often on himself. A side effect he noticed in particular &#8211; sleepiness &#8211; gave him a reason to name the new drug Morphine after Morpheus, the Greek God of Dreams. Friedrich announced his discovery on the 21st of May 1805 in a letter to a pharmacy journal. Twelve years later, he wrote another paper which helped launched a new sub-discipline called Alkaloid Chemistry. Interest in the drug was not truly sparked until a year later when a French physician François Magendie published a paper describing the beneficial effects of the drug on a young ill girl who required sleep. The drug was made available to the public in 1817 by Sertürner & Co. And by the 1820&#8217;s many manufacturers were producing the drug thereafter. Initially, it was marketed as a treatment for alcohol and drug addiction, but the drug was found to be more addictive than opium and as the decades passed by, it became clear that Morphine needed to be used carefully.​
During the American Civil War, hundreds of thousands of soldiers suffered from the so called Soldier&#8217;s (Army&#8217;s) Disease, a disease which is claimed to have been a basic Morphine addiction. The drug found its way into the United States of America and by the early 20th century the drug could be bought easily without prescription. Estimates are difficult to confirm, but depending upon who you read 250,000 to 1,000,000 Americans were addicted to Opium by A.D. 1900.
A.D. 1853 sees the invention of the hypodermic needle, which allowed drug users to bypass the respiratory system to enter the blood. The combination of bypassing the various anatomical systems of the human body and the refining of the poppy&#8217;s sap to a pure organic chemical that led to the thousands of addicted war veterans of the major wars to come. Laws were introduced to ban drugs within certain cultures, such as the Mexicans and Chinese immigrants.

mjack4.jpg
American Civil War : Wiki Commons

In A.D. 1876, the inhabitants of Chinatown, San Francisco were prohibited from smoking opium and opium dens were shut down. The Narcotic Act of A.D. 1914 made the sale of such drugs illegal, though prescription continued unhindered. The law in the United States continued to wrestle with drug abuse. Drug use and human nature go hand in hand. Humans have used drugs to achieve alter states of consciousness for thousands, maybe tens of thousands of years. Prior to the refinement of drugs such as Heroin, Morphine and others, the sap of the opium poppy was consumed. Let&#8217;s look at the deeper roots of humanity&#8217;s love affair with drug use.

Illustration_Papaver_somniferum0.jpg
Opium Poppy : Wiki Commons

Opium was extracted from the Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) and evidence of cultivation goes back as far as 6,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria. Thus far, the oldest reference to the use of Opium is on the Ebers papyrus scroll, written about 3550 years ago in an Ancient Egyptian tomb near Luxor. The papyrus discusses the benefits of opium ingestion such as a sedative for children and relief from teething pain. About 3,400 years ago, the famous Minoan culture worshipped the Goddess of the Poppies.
Galen_detail.jpg
Aelius Galenus or Claudius Galenus : Wiki Commons

How do we know this if there are no written records? Well, the goddess in question was crafted in clay with the key feature of three hairpins in the shape of well-slit poppy capsules (Mekones). A religious rite associated with this Goddess was portrayed on a gold ring from the ancient city of Mycenae in the Peloponnese.
There is reference to opium consumption in the Homeric epic about Helen of Troy. She has been returned to Greece after the successful employment of a wooden horse to infiltrate the city of Troy. After the celebration of Helen&#8217;s return, she retires to her room and mixes a drug with some wine. This combination helped Helen forget painful memories. No person &#8220;could shed a single tear that day&#8221; after ingesting such a combination. Opium is almost certainly the drug that was slipped into her wine. Herodotus noted that northern coastal communities of the Caspian Sea inhaled the smoke of burnt poppy heads bringing on a sense of euphoria, 2600 years ago.
The 2nd century A.D. sees the Greek physician Galen promote its use and it is from him that we get the first known warning about the potency of this drug. Opium was also prescribed by Arab physicians for the treatment of eye problems and diarrhea in the Middle Ages (A.D. 500 to A.D. 1500), while Arab traders brought it to China and India. Chinese physicians prescribed opium for the ailments of diarrhea, stomach aches, dysentery, coughing and ailments of the intestines, lungs and kidneys.
The site of Viborg Søndersø, Denmark, dating to between A.D. 1018 &#8211; A.D. 1035, had faecal deposits, which contained traces of poppy seeds. Poppy ingestion was therefore part of eating practices in Viking Denmark. The introduction of tobacco from the America&#8217;s brought about a new age in drug consumption. Why ingest the sap, when you can smoke it, by-passing the digestive process to the lungs straight to the blood. In the late 1700s, there began a booming opium trade in India, particularly around Bengal. The British East India Company traded opium for silver, which was in turn used to purchase tea. So important was this trading that it brought two countries into conflict, a war often referred to as the Opium War.

Opium_den_chinatown.jpg
An Opium Den in Chinatown, San Francisco, USA, c. A.D. 1880&#8217;s &#8211; Credit: Wiki Commons

A link can be found between the use of particular medicines and different societies. Recent research examined the evidence of narcotics from five sites in San Diego, California between A.D. 1876 and A.D. 1920. These sites represented different cultures, one of which was Chinese. Chinese labourers consumed the least amount of patent medicines, nevertheless the researchers found that all five sites had patent medicines bottles. Depending upon what culture one grew up in, this would determine which form of medicinal treatment one relied upon. Chinese labourers relied on medicinal practices from the motherland and their familiarity with Opium.
Patent medicines (products sold without prescription, list of ingredients and ironically usually without an official US patent) were at best useless and a &#8220;dose of poison&#8221; at worst. Some patent medicines contained 50% morphine. But people still fell for these, primarily through the effectiveness of the product to give them that, high and also the advertising campaigns. Early 20th century America experience its first taste of aggressive advertising, in the form of print media and radio advertising.
A form of peer pressure finished off the process, where the minority would have to buy the products because the majority were doing so. Consumer behaviour was and still is determined by the need to fit in to society. Manufacturers also enlisted doctors to help promote their products. Another factor was the expensiveness of professional care, compelling purchase of cheap products. We will now move forward in time and examine the portrayal of Morphine in music and its most famous addict.

Michael_Jackson_with_the_Reagans.jpg
Michael Jackson with the Reagans : Wiki Commons

Known the world over, the musical works of Michael Jackson became a staple of radio airtime and personal music collections. The creative hits of this musical genius have been played over and over again. He was the man that helped break down the racial barriers in popular culture, particularly music. In the mid A.D. 1990&#8217;s, Jackson began to experience a decline in his popularity, incurred by the constant tabloid attention, the molestation cases, marriages and divorces. This period of Jackson&#8217;s musical adventure is the most underappreciated of his four decades as a musician.

The album Blood on the Dance Floor &#8211; HIStory in the Mix to date is the best selling remix album of all time, with over 11 million copies sold as of A.D. 2011. But alongside the seven remixed versions of songs from the earlier album HIStory, there are four new songs recorded mostly during the HIStory Tour period. Morphine ranks as the darkest song on this concept album, with an addict facing the power and deadly grasp of a powerful drug. It is a song drawing from the Industrial Genre, a genre which has its origins in 1970&#8217;s Britain and Germany. You can sense real anger and frustration in Jackson&#8217;s vocals accompanied by that relentless funky crashing of Slash&#8217;s guitar and percussion. The song is made all the more poignant after the tragic death of the man himself.

The song is a rollercoaster ride of emotion, from sadness, to anger, to desperation all in a state of euphoria. Half way through the song the relentless funky beat gives way to orchestral pop, representing the relaxing effects of the drug Demerol. The toxicology report in the aftermath of Jackson&#8217;s death found traces of Demerol in his system. This drug is an opioid analgesic and though not Morphine it acts in much the same way. About 90 seconds later the addict returns to harsh reality, with the return of the crashing percussion. Michael Jackson chose to turn his experience of Demerol into a song.

He was introduced to morphine after the pyrotechnical accident of the 1984 Pepsi commercial. It was not until the 1993 Child Molestation case that Jackson, deprived of sleep brought about by stress, needed narcotics to relieve pain and allow him to sleep. A friend of his, Elizabeth Taylor intervened to help Jackson fight his drug habit. Sadly, this was ineffective and he persisted in taking drugs until Doctor Conrad Murray unintentionally brought Michael Jackson&#8217;s life to an end, through negligence as a doctor and breaking key rules. Many famous celebrities have died of drug overdoses, Elvis Presley died of polypharmacy amongst other factors. Michael Jackson in a deep discussion with Lisa-Marie Presley made his worst fears known.

&#8216;I am afraid that I am going to end up like him (Elvis), the way he did&#8217;.&#8221;

His worst fears were realised on the 25th of June A.D. 2009. He will be missed but his music lives and lives on in one song to remind us of the power of Morphine. Archaeology talks too us through the artefacts humans left behind and through it we are beginning to understand our relationship to the drug over the thousands of years.
It was sometimes necessary, part of cultural rituals, but today primarily used for leisure, the power of the drug extracted from the poppy and the ability for us to inject the dose directly into the blood stream means that we have tried in vain to eradicate the powerful grasp Morphine has on societies throughout the world.

It is sad that the curiosity of a simple pharmacy assistant 209 years ago, unleashed a truly harmful and life-threatening chemical into the world. Indeed, shortly after Friedrich Sertürner discovered the new drug, his own wife became the first recorded victim of Morphine. Distraught, Sertürner warned all of the danger associated with such as powerfully refined drug. He was too late; the damage was done.

Reference:

2005 &#8211; Hughes &#8211; Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore &#8211; Random House
2010 &#8211; MacGregor &#8211; A History of the World in 100 Objects &#8211; Penguin Books Ltd.
2011 &#8211; Seppala & Rose &#8211; Prescription Painkillers: History, Pharmacology, and Treatment &#8211; Hazelden Publishing
2011 &#8211; Vogel, John &#8211; Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson &#8211; Sterling Publishing
2013 &#8211; Collins, L. Katherine &#8211; An anthropological and archaeological analysis of American Victorian (1876- 1915) and Progressive Era (1900-1920) &#8211; San Diego State University
2013 &#8211; Sloth et al &#8211; Viking Age garden plants from southern Scandinavia diversity, taphonomy and cultural aspects &#8211; Danish Journal of Archaeology
Michael Jackson sculpture &#8211; Header Image Credit : WikiPedia
Written by Charles T. G. Clarke

HeritageDaily : Archaeology News : Archaeology Press Releases

Someone should inform the writer, that there wasn't found any traces of demerol or any other narcotics in his system. +I thought that all instruments in Morphine played Brad Buxer

Morphine didn't kill Michael... and his periods of dependency were due to the need for pain relief for one reason or another. The nature of a true addict is to crave the drug to get high. Different thing altogether. (This according to medical experts, not me.)

since when was Morphine considered to be a "a practically unknown song"....?

Morphine is a very cool song and it deals with the problems Michael faced and overcome in 1993...there was no Demerol or Morphine found in his system in 2009, so considering the evidence Michael was not using drugs both in 2005 or 2009...

It is (outside of us fans listening to it). Just because we are quick to jump for all things Michael Jackson doesn't mean the world does. I know people who thought the "Invincible" album was new when they heard me playing it last WEEK.

Last edited:
It's TOTALLY an unknown song.
You have to think outside of your fandom.
Most people don't even know of the remix album at all, let alone some non-single.

Well, apparently he was dependent on this stuff to fall asleep.
Propofol does not have matching receptors in brain. It is able to cause dependency less than chocolate. And according to the Dr.Czeisler's testimony, Propofol was the reason, why he couldn't sleep normally.

Propofol does not have matching receptors in brain. It is able to cause dependency less than chocolate. And according to the Dr.Czeisler's testimony, Propofol was the reason, why he couldn't sleep normally.

He started taking it because he couldn't sleep, so, although it wasn't helping him sleep, he couldn't sleep before he started taking it either.

Well to mj fan community it wasnt an unknown song but5 to the general public it was

but it doesn't cause addiction. there are no withdrawals symptoms. It's not considered a narcotic or opiate. (It's an anesthetic) It was just his drug of choice to sleep.

AtlasAir;3879087 said:

We don´t know the truth for sure but Murray said Michael managed to sleep without propofol between 23-24 june.Other drugs were used so Michael depended on drugs to sleep on, but it didn´t have to be propofol.

MIST;3880735 said:
We don´t know the truth for sure but Murray said Michael managed to sleep without propofol between 23-24 june.Other drugs were used so Michael depended on drugs to sleep on, but it didn´t have to be propofol.

i'm sure murray never said the truth about the last days, even about everything. and will not in the future.
the only thing he will do is to tell his lies in a book he will sell. $$$

Many people don't even know about Invincible. It's perfectly fine they don't know Morphine. At best they know and recognise Billie Jean, Beat It, Bad, Black Or White, things like that.

Regardless if it's addictive or not, having to be sedated to sleep can't be good at all for your health.
From what we know, he did it a lot. I mean, just coming out of alone is probably very jarring.
I've only been put under once in my life, so obviously I'm not an expert, but you are kinda loopy coming out of it.

Regardless if it's addictive or not, having to be sedated to sleep can't be good at all for your health.
From what we know, he did it a lot. I mean, just coming out of alone is probably very jarring.
I've only been put under once in my life, so obviously I'm not an expert, but you are kinda loopy coming out of it.

Depends on the person. I have been sedated with Propofol twice, I never had any problems afterwards. My mother however tends to feel very bad after sedation - throwing up and everything.

But of course it's not a healthy way to get regular sleep.

You believe everything you read in magazines and their websites?

EDIT: Thought you were referring to the Demerol.

In an unrelated yet related note, am I the only one noticing the new "fans" joining the forum who aren't very pro-MJ? It happened the months after his passing, during the Murray trial and seems to be occuring again. Just a funny observation.

But yea, Michael wasn't on demerol when hepassed. And I know it's been said during this civil suit that he used it in the past during tours for his insomnia, but I don't know how true that is. Being a sickler, I usually take morphine/dilaudid when I'm hospitalized, and I've taken it long enough to become pretty experienced with it. And I know if you've been taking it for a number of years like they claim Michael has, it will never give you a full night's sleep. You'll sleep for an hour or two at best before it wears off, then you're up again awaiting the next shot. Another thing is, you get it's full effects intraveiniously (sp?) as opposed to through a muscle, ie. The buttocks. Which is another reason why I don't believe he used it to sleep. I think personally, that his use of it was more pain related.

Last edited:
In an unrelated yet related note, am I the only one noticing the new "fans" joining the forum who aren't very pro-MJ? It happened the months after his passing, during the Murray trial and seems to be occuring again. Just a funny observation.

I'm a big fan of mj, obviously lol. But i'm not one of those fans that thinks he was an angel, or that he could do no wrong.

I have noticed that this place is becoming more reasonable, which is a good thing. I appreciate fans who can be critical of MJ when appropriate.

I'm a big fan of mj, obviously lol. But i'm not one of those fans that thinks he was an angel, or that he could do no wrong.
Yes of course...Michael is a human as we all. And of course he made lot of mistakes. Nobody said the opposite!!! And in my opinion he made tragic mistakes...I wish we could deter some of them.

Many people don't even know about Invincible. It's perfectly fine they don't know Morphine. At best they know and recognise Billie Jean, Beat It, Bad, Black Or White, things like that.
Morphine is one of the most heartbreaking songs of him. I shudder entirely when I hear it!!! Especially the ''relax''.

Morphine is one of the most heartbreaking songs of him. I shudder entirely when I hear it!!! Especially the ''relax''.

Yep he was showing what the doctors would say to him before .....well u know.....ugh its heartbreaking

Back