The 90's are so underrated

analogue

Proud Member
I really feel the 90s is very underrated and ignored in popular culture - people seem to treat the decade with contempt due to all the boybands and bubblegum pop but if people would just look past the boybands they'll see that the 90's had quite a few good artists around during that time but sadly the good, true artists got overlooked and people can only remember the 90's for boy and girlbands

Here's a list of some good songs/albums from the 90's that is overlooked/hardly ever talked about

DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince - Code Red (album)
a-ha - Memorial Beach (album)
Cornells - 74-75 (Song)
Will Smith - Willienium (Album)
Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game (song)
Massive Attack - Unfinsihed Sympathy (Song)
T.L.C - Waterfalls (song)
Space Jam Soundtrack

Last edited:
I wasn't into 90s stuff. I just think of whiner rock & grunge. I did like Tori Amos and maybe Ace Of Base. My fave was Jamiroquai.

My fave was Jamiroquai.
well there was a lot of that around, especially with funk, soul and swing reprisals being all over the place/world, mainstream (njs transforming into contemporary R&B, nusoul) and underground alike. alongside some great directions in hip-hop (Detroit), in Dance music (US Garage - Todd Edwards, D&B, French House - Daft Punk) and the subsequent invention of 2-Step UK Garage ...

...making 90s > 80s for me.

and all of the above genres are strongly linked by swing rhythms with a lot of emphasis on funk/soul, some even influencing others within the same period.

like it is now (and no doubt was before the 90s), there was a lot of digging to be made for the music you'd like. kind of added to the enjoyment..

i wouldn't say any period in time is underrated/overrated however - the genius of our talents are always there (whether in the mainstream or otherwise) and history tends to bring out even the most obscure works from the eras to surface. and regarding bubblegum pop and manufactured boybands, that started in the 70s and 80s, respectively. i think marketing and PR was being milked in the nineties and took over completely in the noughties, barring the digital revolution that just messed shit up (in good, great and very bad ways).

Last edited:
I think the 80s were way better. Or the decades before it. After about 1990 I really liked very little popular music and know nothing about it. I mostly bought artists I liked already such as The Gap Band, Morris Day, Johnnie Taylor, Prince & the NPG, George Michael, Janet & Mike, Basia, Swing Out Sister, Madonna, Shanice Wilson, Paul McCartney, El Debarge, Beastie Boys, Depeche Mode, New Edition & offsprings (Johnny Gill, Bell Biv Devoe, Ralph Tresvant, Bobby Brown), etc. People that came out in the 90s that I really liked were En Vogue, Brownstone, Chante' Moore, Brand New Heavies, Digable Planets, Lisa Stansfield, Deeelite, Mariah Carey, Color Me Badd, TLC, C&C Music Factory, and Gerardo. They pretty much came out very early 1990s.

Last edited:
Boy bands and bubblegum pop ARE one of the main reason why the 90s were the BEST!!! :D

I grew up during the 90s and just by watching "Smells Like The 90s" on VH1, makes me feel really nostalgic and appreciative of much of the music that was made during that time. As for those who commented on the bubblegum pop boybands and girl groups, yes they might look lame and cheesy now but back then their music was really fun to listen to; just good, clean innocent fun.

I was a huge Spice Girls enthuasiast back in the day lol ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFAjBN5zuF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOgMAaHdhY&feature=related

Last edited:
There were some cool bands in the 1990's like Nirvana and The Prodigy. But I think 1990's sucked as far as music was concerned. I hate that decade so much.

Well I was born in '91, so I grew up with 90's music. it might not have been the best decade for music (okay, it definitely wasn't), but there was still a lot of great music. I love Savage Garden, Backstreet Boys, Silverchair, and Nirvana. lol, I also used to be a huge Britney Spears fan. Hey, I was only 9 :blush: :p

Last edited:
I think for the moment, 90's music might be slightly underrated. That's because it's only been 9 years since 1999. We have a whole new generation to please and they don't want nothing to do with the 90's.

I was born in '87 so I was a 90's child at the very best. I watched TV stations like MTV and VH1 when I wasn't supposed to and sucked in all the music videos that were available.

Soon though, I think at least in popularity, the 90's are going to see a musical comeback just like the 80's is kind of having at the moment. You know, kids who like to think their cool s**t by listening to stuff from the 80's like Flock of Seagulls (blech). I think that might happen again but with more 90's music.

Then again, I might be wrong! Music can seem so predictable, yet you never know sometimes.

That being said, my favorite music that came from the 90's was the R&B and Pop. I loved all of that!

Aw, you don't like A Flock of Seagulls, Ivory?

"And I raaaan, I ran so far awaaaay..."

:p

(Actually, I like that song. :D)

Last edited:
Hmmm, was the 1990s underrated? I do not know at all. I know it was def. overshadowed by the boy bands and teen singers heavliy. I think the best music of that decade was from 1990-1998. After that - no comment.

Back