TGIM on HIStory Disc 1?

chickyd

Proud Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who hate The Girl is Mine with a passion or anything, but I just remembered (since I don't bother with Mike's hit compilations) that it's on HIStory disc one... and uh.. just.. why?

First of all, it's obviously not a fan favorite. Or is it? I don't know. Second, if he was looking for another song from Thriller it should have been Human Nature or PYT instead. More importantly, why TGIM instead of Smooth Criminal or Dirty Diana? Worldwide chart performance wasn't even that great, was it?

I guess the song makes the compilation slightly more diverse by showing Mike's ability to work with different genres, but it still weakens the overall flow of the compilation (especially coming right after Beat It).

He seems to be really proud of the song though. I remember watching the video where he was explaining the creation of it and it kinda made me respect the song a little bit more.

HIStory Disc 1 is a terrible compilation album that basically reads as 'The Thriller & Bad singles'.

I like TGIM, always have done. However, it fares badly next to Say, Say, Say and pales in comparison to Smooth Criminal which is a very obvious choice for HIStory disc one.

What I like about TGIM is its simplicity, it's innocence and its fun. In a plethora of MJ songs that are about wanton women, paranoia, the state of the world; The Girl Is Mine stands as an amusing and pleasurable melodic piece that's fun to sing along to.

^^^^^Say Say Say is technically a Paul track since it was on his album Pipes Of Peace. Paul has it on his hits album All The Best and also his video compilation DVD, but doesn't have The Girl Is Mine, which was on a Michael album.

^^^^^Say Say Say is technically a Paul track since it was on his album Pipes Of Peace. Paul has it on his hits album All The Best and also his video compilation DVD, but doesn't have The Girl Is Mine, which was on a Michael album.

Wonder if we can request a swap.

I like TGIM. But my favourite Paul and Michael track has to be The Man then Say Say Say.

HIStory Disc 1 is a terrible compilation album that basically reads as 'The Thriller & Bad singles'.

I like TGIM, always have done. However, it fares badly next to Say, Say, Say and pales in comparison to Smooth Criminal which is a very obvious choice for HIStory disc one.

What I like about TGIM is its simplicity, it's innocence and its fun. In a plethora of MJ songs that are about wanton women, paranoia, the state of the world; The Girl Is Mine stands as an amusing and pleasurable melodic piece that's fun to sing along to.

cooooooooo f*ckin sign

HIStory

I agree with this. I looove TGIM - it is just fun. And it was a #2 hit here in the U.S. So I am glad he had it in his hit compilation in History.

And , imo, all of Thriller's 9 songs are perfection that's why it's a masterpiece among other things.

well, maybe Disc 2 would have looked bad if the selection on Disc 1 would have been "better".

TGIM was included because it features Mc Paul from THE BEATLES.
not because its one of MJs best songs. ;)

There does also seem to be a 'lead single' thing with HIStory disc one, given that the lead singles of OTW, Bad and Dangerous are all also included. Personally I love both TGIM and the perhaps other less obvious inclusion on that CD, IJCSLY. They add to the diversity of that disc and have their place as "simpler"/unaffected/mushier/romantic numbers, which is a part of MJ's art which I think we all appreciate anyway. As for Smooth Criminal as a replacement, for me there's more than enough of MJ's more paranoid/vitriolic work on disc 2, surely. For me, he got the balance just right for disc 1.

Back