Teddy Riley Studio - Burnt to the Ground

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
"Virginia Beach firefighters headed back to the scene of a fire at a former recording studio used by Grammy-award winning producer Teddy Riley. Crews tackled rekindling embers that caused smoke to rise from the building on Virginia Beach Boulevard - hours after the original fire was thought to be extinguished.

The former home of Future Records Studios is destroyed. Fire ripped through the vacant building early morning hours on June 24. Crew knocked down the flames in about 40 minutes. Those flames took down the second floor and destroyed most of the first.

Lost in the damage, a former draw for famous musicians. Beginning in the early 90's, Grammy Award winning producer Teddy Riley created hits with his former group BLACKstreet, and for artists like Janet and Michael Jackson, Heavy D, and Tom Jones.

Riley no longer owns the building and now lives in Atlanta. He spoke exclusively to WAVY News 10's Nicole Livas late Tuesday afternoon. He saw video of the fire online and says he's blessed to be out of that building, but that's not how he wants to remember the studio.

Riley told Livas, "I'm really shocked about the studio. I think I've seen enough of it. I want to remember it like how it was when I was there and it was in good shape and there was nothing going on and nothing wrong with it so that's what I want to remember." Dr. Mark Honaker owns the veterinarian clinic in front of the building. He recalled, "Teddy was here a lot. I've see Justin Timberlake out here, and Michael Jackson even made an appearance one time."

Financial trouble forced Riley to give up the building. Last month there was an auction to sell it. But no one offered the minimum bid of $500,000. Honaker said he considered buying it, even though he was not interested in the building, itself. "Actually just the land," Honaker said. He continued, "it would have provided more space for parking."

Morris Fine, an attorney in Virginia Beach told WAVY.com he's handling the building. Fine said in the last couple of months he has insured the property and restored electricity to the building. He said he hoped to sell it, with the "first $600,000 going to my client."

Fine said his client, Equitable Relocation Services loaned Riley money, but the producer defaulted on the loan. Fine also said he's met with several people who are interested in the property and even showed it to a potential buyer June 20. Fine said a representative from the City of Virginia Beach looked at the building because city leaders were considering purchasing it.

According to Fine, much of the equipment that had been left in the studio for more than a year was taken in the last few weeks. He said a leasing company owned that the recording equipment, took the electronics back because payments were not being made. It's not clear what will happen to the old studio now that fire has destroyed the building. Fire investigators have not yet determined what caused the fire.
As for Riley, he says he just finished working on Snoop Dogg's album and has other projects lined up."

Last edited:
sorry to hear that,but my suspect dial is ringing off the hook and the insurance is there to be collected.

Back