Tax Refunds 2010 / Looking for a Laptop ; Suggestions???

BillieJean84

Proud Member
what are you gonna save your $$$ from your tax refund checks this year?? I want to and was in Best Buy today, about a new laptop. My Dell is 5 years old & is filled with viruses.

Which brings me to my next question: Any suggestions as to what to get?? The guy said the new Toshiba was the best quality for internet and its cheap.

Well I'm not from the US so I'm not to familiar with the pricing and stuff but you shouldn't spend any more than around $500 if you're only going to use it for internet and DVD burning.

If you have a particular one in mind you could post the link and I'd be able to tell you if it's any good or not.

I'm going the same route with my return too...but it'll be for college when I go back in the fall. I'm going with a Dell most likely.

Whatever money is left goes to bills. :(

The Dell laptops with the coloured lids are pretty cool ive got one its just over 12 months old now and is as sharp as a tack considering it was accidently dropped the other day just make sure tho whatever laptop you buy its fully insured against accidental damage as laptops are easier to drop or whatever when in a rush

Price Range

To better assist you, what is your price limit? If you don't mind me asking. It helps narrow the search a lot.

less than 600.00 and prob around $300, if possible I want less than 400.00- but if not thats ok.

I want to be able to download: tv shows, mp3 files, music, videos & esp. the videos here in 'watts' section ; but I don't know what kind or program those are even.

DVD Burner

more for internet but also Word documents too

Re: Price Range

less than 600.00 and prob around $300, if possible I want less than 400.00- but if not thats ok.

I want to be able to download: tv shows, mp3 files, music, videos & esp. the videos here in 'watts' section ; but I don't know what kind or program those are even.

DVD Burner

more for internet but also Word documents too

Ok, I'll look up the latest and most suitable for you. However, I understand that it is going to be your primary computer. If so, I recommend that you stay within the 600 to 800 range because if you go below that it'll be the very low end notebooks and the netbook class devices. Since it is your primary device, you need one that will serve you for some time to come.

Plus, do you prefer a smaller and lighter laptops for portability or do you prefer larger ones?

I prefer a larger laptop so I can see everything ; not like the tiny netbooks. lightweight yes

thank you so much. I appreciate that. muah

As I stated, it is tough to find a desktop replacement laptop for 400 to 500 dollars. Until now, I didn't find anything cheeper than $670 that I am comfortable with recommending as a primary system. You'll always have slower cpu, lower resolution screens, integrated weak graphics cards, slower and lower ram... etc with these cheeper ones. The best two that I found until now are,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...ci_sku=9556296&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218123847586

this HP's price is 670 to 700. It is a good value for the money. Big screen 17", good battery life, hdmi, Blu Ray, 4gb ram expandable to 8gb (DDR2 which is slower than DDR3 and consumes more power, but ok)... Only issue is sound and that its weight is 7-8 lbs.

Verdict: Great value for the money. weight is justifiable as it is a 17" device and has blu ray. Sound card is not that good, but you can use a headset or a sound system. All in all, a good device

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...98552921644699998&N=4294953240#specifications

This one has a better cpu but doesn't have blu ray ($70 to add). It is 15.5" and weighs less than the former. Has 4 gb DDR3 which is better than the former. It starts at $700.

Verdict: Great for the value and looks great. I would go with this one if I were you.

Well, I don't like recommending just about anything especially if it is going to be your main device. If I find anything worthy for less than this, I will post right away. I doubt that I would find something, but we'll see.

My advice even if these prices were a bit more than you initially wanted to spend, I recommend that you save up a little more. PC's now are an integral part of our lives and are very very important in our daily lives. That's why you shouldn't buy anything. The $700 range is reasonable for an important product as computers and is a mid range price. Laptops with decent cpus and graphics cards are important as laptops aren't very upgradable. You're basically stuck with what you get apart form RAM and Hard Drives. The choice is definitely yours, but that's my two cents. If I find something else that costs less and is a good buy, I'll definitely inform you. Best of luck.

Back