Sydney Pollack has died

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
wenn1126933__oPt.jpg

Director Sydney Pollack passed away today due to cancer at his home in Los Angeles. He was 73.
Notable films as a director: They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (nominated: Best Director 1970), Tootsie (nominated: Best Director/Best Picture 1982), Three Days of the Condor, The Way We Were, The Yakuza, The Firm, Jeremiah Johnson, Out of Africa (Winner: Best Director/Best Picture 1986)
As a producer: Recount, The Quiet American, Forty Shades of Blue, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Searching For Bobby Fischer (!), King Ralph (!!), Sense and Sensibility
Pollack was recently praised for his supporting performance in the Best Picture nominee Michael Clayton. He also appeared on The Sopranos in a small but highly memorable and resonant role. His producing partner and fellow director , Anthony Minghella, passed in March, aged 54.
If you want to take a look back via Netflix, I’d recommend They Shoot Horses…, Condor, Tootsie and Jeremiah Johnson in that order. As an actor, Tootsie, Husbands and Wives, Eyes Wide Shut, and Clayton. To people under 25, Pollack served as a fine representation/presence of a Hollywood long past, where smart films for adults were a priority (imagine that, even if you’re not a film snob!) and where franchises and event films didn’t yet have a deathgrip on the market.
Casual moviegoers responded to his voice and mannerisms on screen—you knew this guy, he seemed smarter than most—and as you watched, or at least as I watched, what came across was that Pollack cut through the modern day industry bullshit and greed, and man, he fucking knew it. Some of his films like The Yakuza still seem a little over-fawned upon, but he’s a prime example of a talented cineaste who didn’t sell out and who aged with grace, eyes open.
I’d hate to get a raised eyebrow from the man, is all I’m sayin’. When I think of a respectable film director, Pollack’s voice and face often pops up (yes, those “do not interrupt” commercials help). I wonder and, have wondered at times, who the hell will be there to take Pollack and his peers’ place. That’s usually when a walking-talking mega cup of soda bursts through the door to say “hi.” Sydney Pollack will be missed, but his work and reputation will also be discovered for generations. You can say his name in any film class that is nearly worth the cost, and a certain communal respect will hit.
R.I.P.

He was 73.

RIP

Last edited:
Gosh!

may he rest in peace :flowers:

he was fantastic :yes: I remember him playing Will Truman's dad on Will & Grace. He also worked with Nicole Kidman in Eyes wide shut before getting a chance to direct her and Sean Penn in the Interpreter (love that film ^_^).

Apparently he and Dustin Hoffman argued that much during the filming of Tootsie that Hoffman suggested he do a role himself, so that's how Sydney ended up being Tootsie's agent in the film :lol:

Out of Africa was a masterpiece ^_^ I really enjoyed that, apparently he and Redford were good friends

He owned and flew a Cessna Citation 750 jet, N138SP.

Apparently he liked to do cameo roles because it allowed him to spy on other directors and their techniques.

He has left behind some great pieces of work :)

This is so sad. May he rest in Peace. I remember his role in Tootsie. He was a riot. He will be missed!

Gosh!

may he rest in peace :flowers:

he was fantastic :yes: I remember him playing Will Truman's dad on Will & Grace. He also worked with Nicole Kidman in Eyes wide shut before getting a chance to direct her and Sean Penn in the Interpreter (love that film ^_^).

Apparently he and Dustin Hoffman argued that much during the filming of Tootsie that Hoffman suggested he do a role himself, so that's how Sydney ended up being Tootsie's agent in the film :lol:

Out of Africa was a masterpiece ^_^ I really enjoyed that, apparently he and Redford were good friends

He owned and flew a Cessna Citation 750 jet, N138SP.

Apparently he liked to do cameo roles because it allowed him to spy on other directors and their techniques.

He has left behind some great pieces of work :)

Now I know where I know him from! He did play Will's dad on Will & Grace.I'm a big fan of that show and when they showed on the news today that he died I kept thinking why does he look so familliar?
But he did A LOT more than just playing his dad so it's really a shame that he died... May he rest in Peace...

Last edited:
May he rest in Peace and thanking him for leaving us wonderful movies and memories

Now I know where I know him from! He did play Will's dad on Will & Grace.I'm a big fan of that show and when they showed on the news today that he died I kept thinking why does he look so familliar?
But he did A LOT more than just playing his dad so it's really a shame that he died... May he rest in Peace...

Yes! :lol:

when I saw him on the television I was :eek: "Will's dad!!!"

he was good in that though especially when Grace catches him cheating on his wife :giggle:

Back