Stylist Rushka Bergman Talks of MJ

GreenEyes

Proud Member
I highlighted the sections that pertain to Michael.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rushka Bergman, Stylist to Michael Jackson, on Remaking Bebe
Sep 12, 2012 4:45 AM EDT

Serbian fashion star Rushka Bergman is cleaning up Bebe, favorite clothier of teen moms everywhere. As her first collection debuts, she tells Rebecca Dana about styling Michael Jackson, overvalued fashion bloggers, and her dream—styling Clint Eastwood.

Rushka Bergman, the pint-size Serbian fashion queen and style muse to many of Hollywood’s leading men, walked into Pastis before noon on a Tuesday dressed for a night on the town. She wore all black—black Balenciaga cocktail dress, black oversize Balenciaga leather varsity jacket with an embroidered dog on the lapel—plus bright red lips and bright red studded booties, a tribute to her great friend and lost soul mate Michael Jackson.

Not so long ago Bergman and Jackson, whom she styled for the last three years of his life, were singing opera to each other over the phone on Christmas morning
and working with fashion’s biggest names, including Balmain’s Christophe Decarnin, Dior Homme’s Kris Van Assche, and Tom Ford, on outfits for the “This Is It” tour that never was. Now Bergman has a very different gig. Among other projects, this fall she is helping reinvent Bebe.

It takes a classy broad to clean up a trashy brand, and that’s why Bergman, a contributing fashion editor at L’Uomo Vogue who has styled hundreds of covers for the book, has lent her talents to Bebe, Kourtney Kardashian’s favorite downmarket retailer and the outfitter of choice for teen moms everywhere.

Bergman debuted her first collection with the brand at the Bortolami art gallery in Chelsea on Monday, a little “teaser,” as she calls it, of the sharper cuts and finer fabrics she plans to work gradually into the mall-chain’s polyester aesthetic. Gradually, so as not to “scare” the brand’s loyal fan base. Early reviews were good. Bergman was not surprised.

“It was so bad, so cheesy,” Bergman says of Bebe before her. “It could not be worse.”

She took her inspiration for “Bebe Black” from the Queensboro Bridge, whose diamond pattern she noticed while sitting in traffic between her Long Island City apartment and her studio in SoHo. She did the collection in two days. “Imagine what I could have done if I actually had time,” she says.

Bergman’s immodesty comes off as charming, not vain, in part because the praise she heaps on everyone else in her orbit is so much greater than the compliments she reserves for herself. Jackson was a genius—“jen-eee-ooos,” in her heavily accented English—as are Hillary Clinton (whom she has styled), Steven Spielberg (ditto), Hedi Slimane, Bill Clinton, Michelle Obama, Balenciaga designer Nicholas Ghesquiere, Jil Sander, Barack Obama, Vogue Italia editor Franca Sozzani (“I love her”), and Chelsea Clinton (“I hope she will be president someday”), among many others.

Ask Bergman her age and she smiles through those red lips and says, “28, always.” She is not 28, nor is she trying to be. “I think my wrinkles are cute,” she says. Jackson ordered her never to get Botox.Botox destroyed the soul of the people,” she says. A child who grew up under communism and studied economics at the University of Belgrade, she found her confidence later in life and cannot understand why anyone would want to be in their 20s. “Proudly I can say when I was 20 I was too naïve,” she says.

Bergman was born in Serbia, to a successful land-owning couple who spoiled their three daughters. She has been married twice, for four years apiece, to a diplomat in Ghana and a very handsome American. She does not think much about marrying again. She likes children but never wanted any of her own. Her mother, with whom she is close, continues to be baffled by her work in the fashion business, even now that she’s gotten the “huge money” job with Bebe.

The Bebe job appealed to her for several reasons. First, she hit it off with Bebe owner Manny Mashouf, who gamely endured her withering criticism of his brand. Second, it was a challenge. How hard is it, really, to put Dior Homme on Michael Fassbender? But to take a label with 600 retail outlets and a bad reputation and turn it into something fashionable gals will wear—that was interesting. “If Jil Sander can do Uniqlo, why can’t Rushka Bergman work for Bebe?” is how she puts it. And finally, Bergman, who has a bubbly, childlike enthusiasm about most things, is down on the fashion business these days

“Even designers have lost their voice,” she says. “Everything is mass. Everybody copies everybody.” Bergman prefers the classics: “Dostoyevsky is my favorite. I just read five times The Idiot. I love of course Freud. Herman Hesse. Citizen Kane.” She is skeptical about the ascent of fashion bloggers in the design world.

“There is room for bloggers, but they are not fashion directors,’ she says, pounding the table. “This is my statement, big time.”

She is turned off by all the pop stars dabbling in fashion. She hopes celebrities will stop trying to design clothes. What does she think of Lady Gaga?

“I do not think.”

If she could style anyone she would choose Queen Elizabeth and Clint Eastwood. The former she would put in more flattering fabrics and a wider array of colors. The latter would look good in anything. He is another jen-eee-oos.

But none approaches the talent of her greatest professional love, Jackson, whom she describes as being “from a different planet.” They bonded initially over their love of 16th-century art. He teased her because she didn’t have any of his music on her iPod. She worked for him without a contract, saw him naked plenty of times (she vouches for his skin condition), adored his energy, and was shocked by his death. “He gave me only his beauty,” she says, and shielded her from the anesthesia abuse that ultimately killed him. Her other major project is pulling together a museum exhibit showcasing Jackson’s collection of couture, a massive endeavor and her great passion.

She is turned off by all the pop stars dabbling in fashion. She hopes celebrities will stop trying to design clothes. What does she think of Lady Gaga? “I do not think.”

These days, Bergman is also captivated by technology—she shows me a picture of Jackson’s three children, Paris in an AC/DC T-shirt, that a friend just texted to her iPhone. She shoots videos now and posts them on Vimeo. At the ripe old age 28, she feels a momentum building.

“I don’t know where I’m going,” she says, “but I know I have to go faster.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...list-to-michael-jackson-on-remaking-bebe.html

Just found this...

http://www.thecoveteur.com/rushka-bergman/
001372a9ae2713ab752a11.jpg

“I was searching for seven days for his contact and one day I sent this e-mail to his lawyer. First off, I didn’t even know if the e-mail address I sent to was the correct one. My phone starts ringing and [the voice] says. ‘I’m the lawyer for Michael Jackson from Washington, DC.’ I already saw myself in the court. And then she says, ‘Mr. Jackson confirms your cover of Vogue magazine.’ So I said, ‘Please Madame, could you confirm this please once more, so that I’m sure that this is the truth’ because I couldn’t believe that this was the truth. And she said, ‘Absolutely.’ I didn’t even count five minutes before the e-mail came already confirming the cover of Vogue with Michael Jackson, and then my life changed.

I learned that when we did the photo shoot with Bruce Weber. It was with literally 1000 [pieces of] clothing. 66 designers and nobody said no. This one jacket he had with sequins was eight kilos! The next day, Michael called my boss and asked if I could style him to be his personal stylist. And then Michael called me and said, ‘Where are you now?’ I said that I was in the house prepping for the next day for my photo shoot. He said, ‘I cancelled your photo shoot. I’ll come to pick you up. We’re going to Las Vegas!’

I never moved out of his house. I was always there. He chose me. When he died, I cried for days. I needed water to calm myself down. I said, ‘Why did you die? Why did you die?’ I think in some way he’s always here. I was in this chair when he died. I almost died too. We were making the shoes and my cousin texted me. ‘Rushka, I don’t know where you are, but can you please press news now? Something is going wrong with Michael Jackson,’ And in the same second when she texted me, someone else said, ‘Sweetheart, where are you? Do I need to come to your studio?’ When I asked why, she said, ‘Something is going wrong.’ The same second, my younger sister asked, ‘Rushka, are you okay? Are you in the studio? I have to tell you some bad news. I don’t know if this is the truth, but your friend Michael Jackson has passed away.’ I have the chills. I said, ‘This is not possible.’ Everybody came here and I was on the floor, screaming. I couldn’t even believe that this was real. I was thinking that this was all made up. Can you imagine myself? I’m making Michael’s shoes with Jonathan (my assistant). Michael was in charge of absolutely everything; if he said, ‘I want this’ then this is it. He was a genius; pure genius.

Michael Jackson was a virtuoso of music, avant-garde dancer and fashion icon. He was the boldest master. His originality and richness defined the music of the 1980's until today. At the same time, he was a great father and a true humanitarian. His heart was bigger than the planet--even bigger than the galaxy. His gentle and spiritual nature made him one of the greatest people that will ever walk the Earth. The more I got to know him, the more I loved him--it was magic. He was so beautiful, he had the power of love. I miss him very much and I will never forget him. He will stay in my heart and his music will live with us, as we always used to say ‘Forever, Darling!'"

- As told to us by Rushka Bergman

That's sweet. Judging from the pictures that are around of the two. I think Michael was very fond of her. Not in a lover sort of way, but as a great friend.

Paris78;3954064 said:
Just found this...

http://www.thecoveteur.com/rushka-bergman/
001372a9ae2713ab752a11.jpg

“I was searching for seven days for his contact and one day I sent this e-mail to his lawyer. First off, I didn’t even know if the e-mail address I sent to was the correct one. My phone starts ringing and [the voice] says. ‘I’m the lawyer for Michael Jackson from Washington, DC.’ I already saw myself in the court. And then she says, ‘Mr. Jackson confirms your cover of Vogue magazine.’ So I said, ‘Please Madame, could you confirm this please once more, so that I’m sure that this is the truth’ because I couldn’t believe that this was the truth. And she said, ‘Absolutely.’ I didn’t even count five minutes before the e-mail came already confirming the cover of Vogue with Michael Jackson, and then my life changed.

I learned that when we did the photo shoot with Bruce Weber. It was with literally 1000 [pieces of] clothing. 66 designers and nobody said no. This one jacket he had with sequins was eight kilos! The next day, Michael called my boss and asked if I could style him to be his personal stylist. And then Michael called me and said, ‘Where are you now?’ I said that I was in the house prepping for the next day for my photo shoot. He said, ‘I cancelled your photo shoot. I’ll come to pick you up. We’re going to Las Vegas!’

I never moved out of his house. I was always there. He chose me. When he died, I cried for days. I needed water to calm myself down. I said, ‘Why did you die? Why did you die?’ I think in some way he’s always here. I was in this chair when he died. I almost died too. We were making the shoes and my cousin texted me. ‘Rushka, I don’t know where you are, but can you please press news now? Something is going wrong with Michael Jackson,’ And in the same second when she texted me, someone else said, ‘Sweetheart, where are you? Do I need to come to your studio?’ When I asked why, she said, ‘Something is going wrong.’ The same second, my younger sister asked, ‘Rushka, are you okay? Are you in the studio? I have to tell you some bad news. I don’t know if this is the truth, but your friend Michael Jackson has passed away.’ I have the chills. I said, ‘This is not possible.’ Everybody came here and I was on the floor, screaming. I couldn’t even believe that this was real. I was thinking that this was all made up. Can you imagine myself? I’m making Michael’s shoes with Jonathan (my assistant). Michael was in charge of absolutely everything; if he said, ‘I want this’ then this is it. He was a genius; pure genius.

Michael Jackson was a virtuoso of music, avant-garde dancer and fashion icon. He was the boldest master. His originality and richness defined the music of the 1980's until today. At the same time, he was a great father and a true humanitarian. His heart was bigger than the planet--even bigger than the galaxy. His gentle and spiritual nature made him one of the greatest people that will ever walk the Earth. The more I got to know him, the more I loved him--it was magic. He was so beautiful, he had the power of love. I miss him very much and I will never forget him. He will stay in my heart and his music will live with us, as we always used to say ‘Forever, Darling!'"

- As told to us by Rushka Bergman

What does she mean by "she never moved out of his house"????:unsure:

Back