[Study for thesis] Had you heard about TMZ before MJ's death? Were you reading this website?

Did you know TMZ before Michael's death?

• Yes

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.2%

• Total voters

Ourania

Proud Member
My last question for now, I'll come back with more later on, but those are the major points I have to focus on right now. The focus is set on the reputation of TMZ before and after Mike's death, and how their implication in it made them obtain the scoop of their lives.
So simply, I'll ask you YES or NO. If "yes", I'll ask you to describe how many times you read TMZ and what appealed to you on this website, before MJ's death.

Last edited:
Re: Had you heard about TMZ before MJ's death? Were you reading this website?

Nope. I heard while watching BBC News 24 that it was reported on 'www.TMZ.com' that he had died. This was WAY before everyone else. So I checked the site and of course they said it. I read on MJJC during all this that TMZ was a tabloid so I didn't believe it until it was confirmed.

A friend of mine in facebook told me that he read about Michael's death :cry: in that website and that's how I learnt about it..

i know it since 2008

I knew about TMZ before, but had never visited the site. TMZ has a half-hour network TV show in the USA and I think that added to people knowing about it.

No I didn't know about it, and I was lurking around this website for about a week before I joined. I hadn't been following any Michael Jackson news until then.

Yeah, I've known about TMZ. Never really payed any attention to them. Still don't. My friend loves the show and I watched it a couple times with her before Michael died. It's annoying as hell.

I HATE TMZ.
I wish that show was off air.

Yes I knew that site. But only because members sometimes linked to their MJ videos. But I hated that site because they always added stupid titles and comments to MJ videos and photos!

i knew about the site too, and the show where they love to make people feel bad about their lives. i wonder if they really knew he died when they said so, or only assumed it and reported it, but in the end they ended up looking credible. which was so lucky for their stupidity. it made everyone go crazy without confirmation from the real sources who wouldn't stress you like that if it wasn't confirmed true first. so for a longer period of time tmz worried people when we were still holding out hope. a cold, insincere website telling you he died.

I HATE TMZ. I HAVE ALWAYS HATED TMZ. I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH FOR HAVING TO REVERT TO WATCHING TMZ for up to date news relating to MJ.
THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA SUCKS.

If ever there was a time in history to be ASHAMED of mainstream media it is now... This decade has been horrible (9 years)

TMZ is a big tabloid company. It's the TV/ Internet version of The National Enquirer

I was aware of the existence of TMZ but checked it out maybe twice...?
I considered it a tabloid and a waste of time, but yes, I knew about it before MJ's death.

Thank you all for your answers, don't hesitate to keep on posting, and even debate on the matter. Althoug we all agree on what is TMZ as a whole (a bunch of c*** that is). My aim is to demonstrate that it was the first time that a website and thus internet were credited with such a "scoop", putting into question the logic of internet journalism, considered out of control, and it's true, seeing their lousy methods. (God how much I hate this video where they literally insult MJ, asking him if he still can Moonwalk...)

I was familiar with TMZ but only went there on occasion, it's basically the internet version of a tabloid. When Michael passed and they were the first to report it I didn't believe it. I wanted "official" confirmation from a "real" news source, like CNN. Turns out TMZ was right before any of the other official news networks. Since then I have checked out TMZ for news related to Michael because it seems that they know ppl involved with his death and subsequent estate battles than any of the other news sources... My assumption is that they can pay ppl to give them certain information. Do I take everything TMZ says as the truth? No, but that goes for any news source.

Yes I knew about TMZ before.
I went there very rarely though and I haven't checked the site since. It feels strange that TMZ from all possible news sources (if that's what you can call TMZ) was the first to announce about Michael's death.. :(

I read about TMZ for the first time here. I visit the site regurlarly now to check on Michael news, though I know it's a tabloid site and I have to be critical when reading and not believe everything they say because it's all unofficial.

I wasn't reading on this website but joined after his death to keep up with the news and all sorts of interesting information about Michael.

Of course. Based on its reputation for being one of the trashiest "news" sites out there.

Yes, I did know of TMZ before Michael died... I regarded it as a tabloid site, akin to the National Enquirer. Unfortunately, my dismissal of the breaking story of his death only came as more of a shock when CNN and more reported it.

I never cared about TMZ prior to his passing it was trash to me just like Perez's website.

I knew more about the TMZ TV show than the website. I only caught a minute or so of it when flipping through channels, watching them chase down celebrities and shoving cameras in their faces turned me off.

Yes I knew it, no I didn't read it (and still don't).

TMZ was always the first to broadcast video footage of Michael out and about around LA, visiting doctors or rehearsals.

That's true. It seems like they've had a big interest in him for some time now and with his passing, many of the stories on their site revolve around him now. It's true that they are trashy and tabloid, but I don't write them off completely because sometimes they do get it right. As everyone else has said, they were the first to comment on MJ's passing. They were also one of the first to report about Janet doing the MJ tribute at the VMA's this Sunday.

I don't believe everything they say at all, but like them or not, they do get their stories right a lot of the time.

Back