Studies to work in the entertainment business?

Word Smith Sr

Proud Member
I'd like to pursue a career in the entertainment business, what should i study? I'd like to work in the "live events area" by working for an entertainment company for example. What should i study to get there? ONE of the things i'd like to do is help a tour take shape from start to finish i.e decide when it begins, when it ends, which cities it will visit (find out where the demand is to do this), etc,etc...... I'd also like to be a part of an entertainer staff and help him/her take the right decisions career wise.

Last edited:
I'd like to pursue a career in the entertainment business, what should i study? I'd like to work in the "live events area" by working for an entertainment company for example. What should i study to get there?
That's exactly what I was doing for a while! Live events, thousands of people who cause thousands of problems. Tiring, but bloody interesting. Especially if you really know that's what you wanna do in life.

I, myself, haven't study anything. I was just lucky in life, but that's not good example to fallow.

Work in entertainment gives you many possibilities of self-development. You would be surprised how many people work to make everything go around. Stage is not everything. That's why you really don't have to study anything which has something to do with music.

First make sure what you wanna do. You don't have to be into sound or light. Security, supervisors, assistants, translators or medics are always very welcome on the show.

ONE of the things i'd like to do is help a tour take shape from start to finish i.e decide when it begins, when it ends, which cities it will visit (find out where the demand is to do this), etc,etc......
Maybe economy or management? Then you can apply for some job in event company. But I don't think they will give such a responsible job to some newbie to be honest. Usually directors are responsible for that, but lots of people have to agree with them.

Artists usually don't have much to say.

There's not one study for the entertainment industry, simply because it's comprised out of hundreds of different fields and jobs. There's also not one person that creates a tour and determines how it goes, any of these things depend greatly on many people working togeter. You'll have to find out specifically which area you are interested in. Sales? Planning? PR? Legal? Art? Construction? Engineering? etc etc, the list is too long.

Mostly what seems to happen with people is that they start out in one of these fields and just gain experience and grow and get involved in many other things. :)

Thank you very much for responding Secret Man and Sifa_Dias. Sifa_Dias, i know that the entertainment business is comprised out of hundreds of different fields and jobs, what i'm asking is what are the different fields and careers in the entertainment business. Sorry for asking my question in a bad way.

Everything really, pac. It's a big machine with hundreds of people working on the show. Everything starts on planing, goes through construction and ends at cleaning.

I'd like to pursue a career in the entertainment business, what should i study? I'd like to work in the "live events area" by working for an entertainment company for example. What should i study to get there? ONE of the things i'd like to do is help a tour take shape from start to finish i.e decide when it begins, when it ends, which cities it will visit (find out where the demand is to do this), etc,etc...... I'd also like to be a part of an entertainer staff and help him/her take the right decisions career wise.

Since 2006 I have been working in the Music Industry as a executive legal secretary for an Agent, Buyer that has been in the industry for 30+ years...as well as been working on my undergrad in Law since 2005 (before 2005... prereq classes).

My boss John does most of the negotiating for National Artists (You Name It we can do it, if the price is right, and the venue is big or small enough) as well as some local artist (s). I process anything and everything that has to do with Artist (s) & their Contracts, Buyer (s) and their Contracts, Promo, Deposits, Balance Due ect. ect. ect.

For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a Music Industry Lawyer, (Manager, PR, AR) that sort of thing. As I grew older & wiser...I pretty much focused (self taught) my energies on learning all I could about the who, what, why, and how things worked in the Music Industry.

My answer to you...It really depends what part of the music industry you desire to be a part of...basically...what part of the music industry turns your crank..?

:angel:Knowledge Is Growth

Well, i'd say that i'm attracted by the business part of the entertainment industry. I've also been thinking about the legal part of the entertainment industry. I live in France, does anybody know a college/uni in the US and Canada (i'm hesitating between those two) for which i wont have to pay billions of dollars and in which i could learn about the business part of the entertainment industry? Same question for the legal part of the entertainment industry. If not, does anybody know one in another english-speaking country?

Last edited:
Well, i'd say that i'm attracted by the business part of the entertainment industry. I've also been thinking about the legal part of the entertainment industry. I live in France, does anybody know a college/uni in the US and Canada (i'm hesitating between those two) for which i wont have to pay billions of dollars and in which i could learn about the business part of the entertainment industry? Same question for the legal part of the entertainment industry. If not, does anybody know one in another english-speaking country?

Sweet...Pretty much most collages have programs in Business, Management, and Legal...Either way you look at it college can be expense, However, no one can ever take your knowledge away and your in vesting in your future.

If you wish to study in the United States...I can help you look into the foreign exchange student program that most if not all colleges offer in America.

:angel:Knowledge Is Growth

try NYC hun and its a wide open space for the entertainment industry ive met a few actors in passing

Thanks everybody for answering my thread. MissyLedger, ill search for universities+ entertainment areas in NYC thanks for the tip. Does anyone know the VFS school in Canada? Is the "Entertainment Business Management" program any good?

Canada is much cheaper for study and level of knowledge is not worst than in the US.

Back