Strong ratings for BET Awards and Jackson tribute [

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Strong ratings for BET Awards and Jackson tribute

NEW YORK — The BET Awards turned into an impromptu Michael Jackson tribute and preliminary ratings show that it will have the event's biggest audience ever.

Nielsen Media Research says the ratings from its 56 biggest markets showed Sunday's BET Awards were up 61 percent over last year. An estimated 10 percent of turned-on television sets were tuned to the BET Awards – an unusually large number for a cable channel.

Nielsen says the show got a 5.8 rating in the overnight ratings. The awards ceremony has been held since 2001 and has never gotten more than a 3.7 rating.
Several celebrities, including host Jamie Foxx, paid tribute to Jackson.

The evening was capped by the emotional appearance of Jackson's sister Janet.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/29/us-michael-jackson-bet-awards-062909/

-Too bad they didn't do a proper tribute and just used MJ for ratings. Only worthwhile performances for me was Ne-Yo, Ne-Yo/Jamie Foxx, The O'Jays, Monica & Keyshia Cole and of course the best part was seeing Janet come out. Other than that it was a dissapointment.

No surprise as Michael has always = big ratings.

Wow...are there ways for them to calculate online streaming, cuz the site I was watching it on had over 13,000 peeps online watching.

They didn't have much time to revamp the show. We're talking less than 3 full days. Ne-yo's performance of Lady In My Life was great as was Ciara's rendition of Heal The World. Also, I had never watched the BET Awards before and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they actually honor people like Doctors, Students, and a Mayor. Very classy show in my opinion. I also liked the humanitarian segment with Alicia Keys and Wyclef.

They did Michael justice considering the amount of time they had to work with.

They didn't have much time to revamp the show. We're talking less than 3 full days. Ne-yo's performance of Lady In My Life was great as was Ciara's rendition of Heal The World. Also, I had never watched the BET Awards before and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they actually honor people like Doctors, Students, and a Mayor. Very classy show in my opinion. I also liked the humanitarian segment with Alicia Keys and Wyclef.

They did Michael justice considering the amount of time they had to work with.

Classy??? Jamie Foxx took the dinity away with his tasteless jokes, and shameless self promotion, even if was to be a regular awards show, I think it's improper to plug your own stuff.

When intention is factored in, it's obvious that everyone meant well. If something came out awkward, it was probably due to the fact that they were still shaken up by Michael's passing. I don't know how they all held it together and stayed so strong but I applaud them for it.

The only moment that I thought was rather questionable was the Tyrese/Rhames segment which was more than a little strange and I say that as a big Ving Rhames fan. His performance as Don King was truly unforgettable.

Jamie Foxx has to make his money. I can't fault him for it. He is pro-Jackson all the way and that's all that matters to me.

Back