"Stranger In Moscow" Appreciation

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Okay, so I am pretty much obsessed with this song lol. I just think it's brilliant and I believe it's probably the best song he's ever written and I believe Rod Temperton said he thought it was Michael's best song period. I'm not understanding why it didn't do better in the U.S. though, I think that's really too bad but i've heard plenty of people (non-fans mostly) say that it's a great, underrated song so I think more people are aware of it than I previously thought.

But I would really like to thank Michael for making this song because when I was going through a really tough time years ago and thought I was gonna lose it at times, I would listen to this song everyday and it would make me feel better and calm me. Listening to SIM made me forget about my problems for the time being so thank you Michael for writing such a wonderful song. I feel like not only did Michael write this song for himself, but he wrote it for others as well because i'm sure most people can relate to the message of the song because I think everyone has experienced moments of lonliness or feeling like no one really understands them at some time or another and that's what this song is about to me. The song has a universal message. I don't think I will ever get tired of listening to it. The thing that also makes this song so great and uniqiue though is that NO ONE but Michael could have written this or sang it the way he did. When he sings "How does it feel, how does it feel...", he just puts so much emotion into it and you really feel what he's singing. Michael really understands how to convey emotion through song so well and that's something i've always loved about him.

I also think the video is great as well . It fits the mood of the song perfectly.

So yes, sorry about rambling on for so long lol but I just have to say much props to tha King for writing this song! . A true masterpiece IMO.

-A few questions though for anyone who know's, what exactly is that man who speaks in Russian at the end of the song saying? What does it translate to in English? Because that's been bugging me for years and i'd really like to know lol so thx in advance.

Last edited:
totally agree! It's one of my favorite too. but ...sorry,I don't know Russian.
waiting to know....

I totally agree with you... It's truely a masterpiece. I adore this song. One of my favourites. :wub: Great lyrics, beautiful singing, as usual...Simply beautiful. I wish more people would know about underrated MJ songs. SIM is definitely one of them.

Here's the translation:
(kgb interrogator -
Russian to english translation)
Why have you come from the west?
Confess! to steal the great achievements of
The people, the accomplishments of the workers...

I totally agree with you... It's truely a masterpiece. I adore this song. One of my favourites. :wub: Great lyrics, beautiful singing, as usual...Simply beautiful. I wish more people would know about underrated MJ songs. SIM is definitely one of them.

Here's the translation:
(kgb interrogator -
Russian to english translation)
Why have you come from the west?
The people, the accomplishments of the workers

Hmmm, very interesting. Wonder why he decided to include that in the song? Must have been sending a message of some sort. Anyway, thanks for posting that Kinga :flowers:.

^^^you're welcome... :smile: Neither do I know the answer. He's so mysterious a lot of times.... I think he does these things on purpose. To think about his songs and hidden messages in them. His songs are not the regular ones. There are 2 categories: there are a lot of songs with no meaning, and there are MJ's songs... those make you think further... There are only a few MJ songs which hasn't got any message. Interesting, isn't it?

One of my faves :wub: everything about the song is beautiful... such a relaxing song, The music is fantastic

Last edited:
I love this song and it's one of the songs that has really helped me in my life. I remember when I was little I always skipped Stranger in Moscow :D But fortunately when I grew up I realised what a great song it is.

amazing song whenever i make a playlist for ipod i can never leave it off.

SIM is my favorite song from HIStory and in the Top 10 of my all time favorite MJ tracks. It's an amazing song from the start to the very end, it's really soothing.

When i was a difficult point in my life I used to drown my sorrows in this song.
I would just cry and cry because I felt totally invisible and alone. Thankfully I've moved past that tough stage.

When i was a difficult point in my life I used to drown my sorrows in this song.
I would just cry and cry because I felt totally invisible and alone. Thankfully I've moved past that tough stage.

Well that's good to hear that you're doing better now. This song helped me a lot too when I was going through my tough stage. I think this song has helped a lot of people actually. I just love Michael for writing this :wub:.

Speaking of SIM though, I remember that I once listened to this song in the rain outside in my backyard a few years ago. I turned up the volume to max and I was singing along to SIM screaming "How does it feel" over and over :lol:. I'm pretty sure my neighboors thought I was crazy :wacko: lol but seriously it was a REALLY good experience, I felt so much better and relieved afterwards. Really one of the best experiences i've ever had. I think everyone should try singing or listening to "Stranger In Moscow" at least once in the rain lol.

Last edited:
I have been to Michael's HIStory concert here in Budapest back in 1996 and that is the only song when I feel the following: I hear it sometimes like he's singing it in the stadium for 50.000 people. It's really a "de ja vu" feeling. I close my eyes and I feel like I'm in the stadium again...

this song is so sad... he just expresses in it how he felt back there in 1993 in Moscow (Russia)
there is something about this song, yes... you can feel his loneliness and his hopelessness at the time....
Michael captured the moment....

he always does it with his songs... that is his brilliance

this song is so sad... he just expresses in it how he felt back there in 1993 in Moscow (Russia)
there is something about this song, yes... you can feel his loneliness and his hopelessness at the time....
Michael captured the moment....

he always does it with his songs... that is his brilliance

You are so right about that, it's such a sad song, but so beautiful at the same time.
Every time I hear it I feel like crying just imagining what he went through at the time.

Full translation of the russian speech in the end is:

"Why have you come from the west?
The people, the accomplishments of the workers... Confess!
To bribe nation by the richness of the west")

That unforgettable "Lawd have merceiii"...I've always felt he sounds mad, sad, frustrated at the same time singin the line. So haunting. It's like, the part alone tells you about greatness of this song.

I think I haven't often heard the word "soulful" to describe Mike's songs or singing. I hate it. I'd highly recommend this song to those who hesitate to use that word.

Another thing that I've always had on mind about this song...the very title containing "Moscow". I had never heard any American song with that word in the title before. He's been around the world and seen it all, so I think he's got a wide range of subject matter and topics to make songs about.

just listen to his voice when he sings "when your alone and your cold inside"

it's magic.

also in Childhood when he sings " try hard to love me"

it's too good.

benedictee, Dr.Feelgood, welcome :)
Oh and by the way on 3:11 in version with intro russian boy shouts: "Hi, Michael")))

Yes, Michael's voice is absolutely amazing in this song, especially in acapella version. I think it's one of my favourite Michael's song

Last edited:
I love this song. You can literally feel his pain when listening to this song, it's amazing.

Well THANKS; i'v always wondered what it says, thank you know i fully understand the meaning of the song, does MJ knows russian?

That unforgettable "Lawd have merceiii"...I've always felt he sounds mad, sad, frustrated at the same time singin the line. So haunting. It's like, the part alone tells you about greatness of this song.

I think I haven't often heard the word "soulful" to describe Mike's songs or singing. I hate it. I'd highly recommend this song to those who hesitate to use that word.

Another thing that I've always had on mind about this song...the very title containing "Moscow". I had never heard any American song with that word in the title before. He's been around the world and seen it all, so I think he's got a wide range of subject matter and topics to make songs about.

"Lawd have merceeii!!!", unforgettable almost a crying scream desperate call, one of my favorites always.

Last edited:
Well THANKS; i'v always wondered what it says, thank you know i fully undrestand the meaning of the song, does MJ know russian?

"Lawd have merceeii!!!", unforgettable almost a crying scream desperate call, one of my favorites always.
Maybe he knows some Russian words...? Or maybe not.

Hey I knew I'm not the only one digging the part that much! Glad to read your post:)

Does anybody know was this russian part taken from somewhere (a film, poem, song..) or was it created just for this song?

Back