Stop the Loudness War!

That has a lot to do with people buying "boomin' systems" for their cars (that cost more than the car is worth in some cases :p). They want the bass to rattle the car, lol. The more bass, the better.

Um... I'm not into the whole DOOF DOOF thing, but I DO like listening to my music LOUDLY.
I admit, I don't really understand this whole 'loss of quality', blah blah - no offence. If a song makes my heart twinge pleasantly, then that's all I care about.:)

hicks20054491.JPG

They are doing the same with Michael's music...

Billie Jean - 1st Edition on CD (1982)
BJ_1.png

Billie Jean - Remastered "Special Edition" (2001)
BJ_2.png

^^ exactly the original Thriller sounds great and then you get to thriller 25 with crap mastering and it's not the same. they clip it so everything stays at the same volume / no highs and lows. It makes everything more bassy, and sounds especially bad on slower songs as there is less seperation between vocals and instruments.

It started in the early 90s and they have gotten slowly louder, the record companies want to the have the loudest record so it "grabs your attention"

And btw you can still make well mastered albums boom, turn the bass up :p

^^^^A lot of the earlier CDs sounded low and flat. Some of them also developed "drop outs" when they got old, especially ones released by Atlantic Records. So were unplayable. I had the original vinyl "Thriller", and I heard the CD when it was released in the late 80s and the sound quality was less than the record. Which is why I tended to stick to records unless there was no alternative or extra songs were added to the CD.

Yea some real early ones just had the vinyl master shoved on that's why they sound flat. I have a number of cds made in the 80s and they all still play okay.
I would play vinyl more now but my player is a piece is sh-t, you need a reasonably good player for them to sound as good as cds.

But there's no reason they can't master them with dynamics and not sound flat these days

That has a lot to do with people buying "boomin' systems" for their cars (that cost more than the car is worth in some cases :p). They want the bass to rattle the car, lol. The more bass, the better.

First thing I thought of when I read this was LL Cool J's "The Boomin' System" song lol.

They are doing the same with Michael's music...

Billie Jean - 1st Edition on CD (1982)
BJ_1.png

Billie Jean - Remastered "Special Edition" (2001)
BJ_2.png

Yes! I've only recently re-got the orginal Bad album release from 1987 on Cassette and it's sounds so much much better than the Remasterd vesion that was released in 2001

Just because some says ''Remasterd'' it doesn't always mean it's a good thing

Back