Starting up a Charity

Ape

Guests
I have this idea I've been brainstorming and would really like to get started on it so that it could help out many people. The trouble is, I have never started a charity before and have no idea what it takes or how to get started. It's just (what I think is) a good idea that could make a big difference. Maybe so simple that I don't know why it's not been done before if it hasn't been.

I live in Canada but this could be something that would help people out all over. The idea isn't important yet right now to share, I just would really like to know if anyone here has experience with Charities, working with, or starting, or has researched it before and could educate me about it and the process.

Also I could see this taking up lots of my time. How do people who make charities survive? I know there will be fund raising but that's supposed to go towards making this thing happen. If it becomes full time work, and it is a charity, can I hire people (including myself) or do we all have to be volunteers? If that is the case, then maybe I can do this as not a Charity but a business that can still help and do the same thing, I'd just have to figure out a way for it to pay it's way, which I actually have already so.... I guess now it is a matter of finding someone who knows what they are doing to join me in this venture or contacting the government who may be able to point me in the right direction?

If no one knows first hand, is anyone aware of a place I could ask these questions and get helpful answers?

Thank you!!!

~Angel

Back