Stan Winston of MJ's Ghost film dies [all threads merged]

elusive moonwalker

Guests
Stan Winston, dead at 62; Oscar-winning visual effects artist suffered from multiple myeloma
11:57 AM PT, Jun 16 2008

Stan_winston Stan Winston, an Oscar-winning visual effects artist, has died at age 62.

Winston died at home Sunday evening after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a rep from Stan Winston Studio.

"Stan died peacefully at home surrounded by family," a spokeswoman said.

Winston won four visual effects Oscars and earned multiple nominations. His first Oscar was for James Cameron's "Aliens" (1986). Winston later won two Oscars for "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1992) (visual effects and makeup) and 1993's "Jurassic Park."

Phil Tippett, who shared a visual effects Oscar with Winston on "Jurassic Park," noted that Winston was one of the best in the business.

"Stan contributed to some of the greatest -- fantastic movie characters in motion picture history," Tippett said. "His loss in a great one and he will be missed."

In lieu of flowers, Winston's family is requesting that donations be made to his charities of choice, a list of which will be posted here shortly.

Re: stan winston of MJs ghost film dies

wow! that's sad...

R.I.P..

I hope Michael is taking this o.k. he's known him since we was a teen..

This is awful and totaly unexpected

R.I.P Stan

He was so young! His work was amazing. He was one of the best for sure. RIP Stan you will be missed.

Rest In Peace :( ............

Last edited:

R.I.P. He was extremely talented and made great contributions to the entertainment industry.

R.I.P Stan - The entertainment industry has lost another genius

ALeqM5gnvtcOIi9zVClJjwLb07Cyj1A_Yg

In this May 8, 1997 file photo, Michael Jackson is sittimg next to Stan Winston before the screening of his latest music video "Ghost" at the Festival Palace in Cannes during the 50th International Cannes Film Festival. Hollywood special-effects maestro Stan Winston has died at age 62. The Oscar-winning visual effects artist died at his home Sunday, June 15, 2008, surrounded by family after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio. (AP Photo/Laurent Rebours, file)

awww... R.I.P. Stan..man his work was amazing

Re: Stan Winston - Special Effects Creator of GHOSTS passed away!

He was so young, its shocking. He was one of the best in his field. RIP

More sad news :( My condolescence to his family and loved ones.

He was so young, its shocking. He was one of the best in his field. RIP

When you said young, I thought the guy was 20! :toofunny:

I don't really know who he is, but, may he rest in peace. And thanks to him we have a beautiful video in the collection of Michael Jackson ^_^

RIP

God bless you,Stan and his family.My condolescence to his family and friends.
This is so sad...R.I.P. Stan!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Sad news. RIP to Stan. :(

winston-cp-5043251.jpg

Stan Winston, right, sits next to Michael Jackson at a 1997 screening of the film Ghost, which Winston produced. (Laurent Rebours/Associated Press)

RIP

Last edited:

I send my heartfelt prayers to his family and friends. Rest In Peace Mr. Winston.

I remember there's a photo in which Stan Winston, Spielberg watched Michael Jackson undergo make-up process in a studio. who got that photo?

This is terrible news...God bless Stan and his family. I am grateful that Michael and Stan were able to work together again on Ghosts...Michael's, "Oh Stanley"...cracks me up everytime I watch The Making of Ghosts. He also did work on "The Wiz". Michael has known Stan since the age of 16. What a major loss for all who knew him in the industry, personally and professionally. He will be missed.

RIP stan! terrible news to wake up to!

OMG! :eek: I'm shocked!!! This is so sad! He was an amazing artist and he was so young!

R. I. P. :sad:

I tought of stan about 2 days ago!

the

Michael " Oh Stanley"
Stan " Don't start with me Michael, see these gray hairs here... "

Stan is very talented. Ghost is really a masterpiece. RIP Stan. :(

Back