Stan Lee talks about Michael Jackson, Spider-Man and Professor X

ivy

Proud Member
Only copied the parts about Michael Jackson. Rest can be read from the link below

The most interesting bit of almost-casting that I've ever heard came from a Producers Guild conference last summer: the "X-Men" producers revealed that Michael Jackson seriously lobbied for the part of Professor X.

I wasn’t aware that Michael Jackson wanted to be Professor X. I knew Michael Jackson. And with the things he discussed with me, I felt he wanted to be Spider-Man. That was the character that interested him. He never discussed the X-Men with me.

How do you think he would have fared as Spider-Man?

I think he’d have been good. I think he’d have been very good. But I must say that Tobey Maguire was wonderful.

I’m fascinated by the fact that Jackson worked with Stan Lee Media and attempted to buy Marvel, in the 90s.

Yes, he wanted to. He felt that would be the only way that he could play Spider-Man. [Laughs]

What do you think the company would have looked like now if that partnership came to fruition?

I can’t imagine it would have been totally different of course, but maybe not as successful. Michael was not a great businessman.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/04/30/stan-lee-interview-marvel-movies_n_1465728.html?ref=moviefone

I can't imagine Michael as Spider-Man. :) Here is great video about Michael visiting Marvel

There is more parts

Last edited:
I could imagine Michael as Spider-Man, I've always seen parallels between Michael and Spider-Man. For example, Spider-Man is portrayed as a villain in the fictional media, and in the real world Michael was accused by the media of doing a crime he never commented etc, but both Michael and Spider-Man and loved by the public.

I know, Stan Lee didn't wasn't being mean saying Michael wasn't a good business man, but Michael was a brilliant business man, and also a very underrated one.

It always upsets me to hear of examples of mj's unfulfilled hollywood dreams - he seemed so set on a film career back in the 80s.

benscarr said:
but Michael was a brilliant business man, and also a very underrated one.

I don't understand why posters rate mj as a businessman. I think he knew the music industry as well as anyone, and his purchase of atv turned out to be a brilliant move. But that was in '85 and i don't know of anything since that he did that was successful business wise - (apart from making branca his executor).

I don't understand why posters rate mj as a businessman. I think he knew the music industry as well as anyone, and his purchase of atv turned out to be a brilliant move. But that was in '85 and i don't know of anything since that he did that was successful business wise - (apart from making branca his executor).

Was Michael an exeptional one-of-a-kind business man? No, I don't think so. Michael was not the likes of Sam Walton. But still, he was a brilliant one, not because he bought ATV, but because of the ways he channeled his talents. In reality, what's good for a business may not be beneficial to its employees, customers and the society. Michael's heart was too generous and pure. His goals were not limited to monetary gains. His goals were peace, love and harmony - which were always in conflict against what a successful business strive to achieve.

If I consider Michael Jackson himself as a multi-million operation, then Michael was indeed a damn good businessman. It took a genius to find the right balance between artistry and public acceptability. Many artists are brilliant; yet, their work don't click with people. They live in their own ivory towers. Many more so-called artists consider fame and money as the ultimate goals and sacrifice their own voices along the way. Michael had such precise intuition and acuma. He knew what the general audience love to see and hear. And, he was able to deliver what the public wanted without sacrificing quality. And, he kept managing the public's expectation so well for decades. An artist and a businessman do not often perceive things the same way. More likely, what an artist wants are not what a businessman wants. Michael was this rare visionary who could somehow manage two sets of conflict goals rather seamlessly.

I don't think Stan Lee meant to insult Michael. Over the course of his career, Stan Lee must have witnessed the challenges faced by artists and confronted demands from businessmen. A compassionate human being with a generous heart is not cut out to be a CEO.

Well actually last October in a film festival here in Spain called Sitges Film Festival Bryan Singer, the director of X Men and Superman, give a lecture. I didnt attended but a friend of mine who is also a very big MJ fan did and he told me that Singer said that Michael actually cast for Profesor Xavier. And that he was like 2 hours or so talking and trying to convince Singer that he was the right man for the character... didnt happen thou, but he really tried.
Singer also said very nice things about Michael, that he was very nice, funny and polite, he said it was a pleasure talking to him, even thou he didnt saw him for the part

:) Cool story

Michael was a great business man, he owed the IRS ZERO.

his taxes weren't paid for the last 3 years of his life. I'm personally putting the blame on his managers and accountants etc, but just so you know.

Michael had some great achievements in business, like ATV, but some things not so good also happened, like the taxes not paid. He was a good businessman, but not the best one

Last edited:
Michael never really got a chance to expend his acting skills, and no matter what some fans say, I think in the right role he would've been great.

Also that Michael was not a good businessman is an incorrect statement. At the height of his career, Michael made some of the best business decisions that people still talk about to date. Namely, ATV. It's wrong to say otherwise going by just the last few years of his life.

Michael was a good businessman, but he was too trusting and let crooks take over.

Michael was a good businessman, but he was too trusting and let crooks take over.

I tend to think this way also. Michael had the ideas and the instincts. The problem was that he had people who didn't have his best interests at heart. What does he think of Michael the person?

Michael was a great business man, he only had a problem in choosing humans to be close to and to work with, but in terms of knowing what would sell and his creative and artistic talents he would be great. It is like some of the people who owned baseball and football teams and were not typical businessmen.

ivy;3631971 said:
What do you think the company would have looked like now if that partnership came to fruition?

I can’t imagine it would have been totally different of course, but maybe not as successful. Michael was not a great businessman.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/04/30/stan-lee-interview-marvel-movies_n_1465728.html?ref=moviefone

:wtf:

angfw5.gif

agree. he had good ideas but was to trusting ,niave ect to be what some would class as a great business man he allowed himself to be used and taken advantage of because of his good nature so ended up with leaches around him who saw a chance

It took a genius to find the right balance between artistry and public acceptability. Many artists are brilliant; yet, their work don't click with people. They live in their own ivory towers. Many more so-called artists consider fame and money as the ultimate goals and sacrifice their own voices along the way.

Really good point, he never sacrificed quality and artistry for purely commercial ends, and yet he ended up being probably the most popular act of all time.

Yes i agree with your post, mj's qualities don't seem to mesh with what i at least regard as essentials for being a top business man - ruthlessness, over riding concern for the bottom line, a hardness of heart when taking decisions etc. The skill in knowing who to trust and whose business venture to invest in was something else mj didn't have, save for his atv purchase. In that instance, he was buying something he loved and understood the value of. He would have been better off sticking to dealings within the music industry, for as will i am said, 'he was the industry'.

Last edited:
Really good point, he never sacrificed quality and artistry for purely commercial ends, and yet he ended up being probably the most popular act of all time.

Yes i agree with your post, mj's qualities don't seem to mesh with what i at least regard as essentials for being a top business man - ruthlessness, over riding concern for the bottom line, a hardness of heart when taking decisions etc. The skill in knowing who to trust and whose business venture to invest in was something else mj didn't have, save for his atv purchase. In that instance, he was buying something he loved and understood the value of. He would have been better off sticking to dealings within the music industry, for as will i am said, 'he was the industry'.

Yup. Exactly what's in my mind.

Back