Spike Lee’s MJ inspired film 'not happening'

virginia_woolf

Proud Member
It Looks Like Spike Lee Has Scrapped His Michael Jackson-Centric, ‘Brooklyn Loves MJ’ Project

In April of last year, it was reported that director Spike Lee was working on a new feature-length drama about gentrification called, “Brooklyn Loves MJ” that was rumored to star Samuel L. Jackson, John Turturro, Julianne Moore, Rosie Perez, Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington. We confirmed as much (at least the existence of) when we got our hands on the script. Lawyers for Lee made us remove all and every trace of details about the screenplay, but some elements about the project remain here on this Associated Content Yahoo blog (not our site .esq dudes). They write, the film is expected to “examine the potential community impact of a tribute concert and neighborhood celebration in Michael Jackson‘s memory, as this fictional event might occur in a re-gentrified area of Brooklyn, New York.”

Alrighty then, but a recent report out of Chicago says that “Brooklyn Loves MJ” has been unfortunately shelved.

A Playlist reader wrote in last week to say that a friend had heard Lee speak on Jan 18 in Chicago at a Martin Luther King, Jr. event. When the filmmaker took questions from the audience, this friend asked the director how his Michael Jackson-related film project was coming along, and he replied abruptly, “It’s not happening.” He then called for the next question and reader says he was apparently visibly upset. [Emails and calls to Lee’s CAA reps to confirm or clarify were not returned.]

The director is an avid Michael Jackson fan and this indeed must be upsetting to him. Lee staged a community block party tribute for Jackson on what would have been the entertainer’s 51st birthday on August 29, 2009 in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. Lee did the same again in 2010. He also directed two short films for the Jackson protest song “They Don’t Care About Us,” the track that was notoriously known for its “Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/ Kick me, **** me, don’t you black or white me” racial slurs in 1996. Jackson returned the favor by recording the original song “On The Line” (written by Babyface) for Lee’s 1996 pic, “Get On The Bus,” however the song—which opened the film—was never featured on the soundtrack. Lee also directed the video for “This Is It.”

Up next for Lee seems to be “Nagasaki Deadline,” which is a thriller about a troubled FBI agent and his desperate race to thwart two terrorist attacks on American soil. In case you’ve forgotten Lee has already said that plans for an “Inside Man 2” have been scrapped. [photo credit of Spike Lee, Eternal Polk]

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/it_looks_like_spike_lee_has_scrapped_his_michael_jackson-centric_brooklyn_l/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed#

I'm very sorry to hear this. I admire Spike Lee very much and I was looking forward to his movie as a tribute to Michael. I hope this is a temporary hitch and it will get picked up later. Sometimes it's just not the right time for something. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea or will never happen. I'm staying hopeful!
Much respect to Spike Lee!

The title sounded like it would be such a great movie. I was really looking forward to this. I really want to know the reason why he says it's not going to happen....

I had some great ideas for this movie myself. I'm sure whatever Lee had in mind would've been a success.

There is a rumor floating that while sending the script out for potential backers and producers to look at it was leaked on to the Internet by some producers and mutual friends. Don't know how true this is, but that is one possible reason.

if he was visibly upset, i am guessing that Hellywood threatened to ruin Spike's career, if he went ahead with the movie. i don't think that's a stretch. that's Hellywood.

Oh man, I was looking forward for this..
But who knows, maybe he works something out..

Maybe the estate denied permission to use mj music. Wouldn't be surprised.

disappointed...
Maybe he had a lot of difficulty finding investors and getting enough fund?
If so, another case of pro-MJ projects getting shelved:angry:

Or, the production had to stop temporarily? Hopefully, we would see the final product even though we have no clue how long it takes. I read the movie "Black Swan" took years to be completed becuz of financial issues. But it finally saw the light of day and now it's on a roll with Natalie Portman winning the awards.

spike gets props for TDAU but he lied in Miracle at st. anna.

Could you elaborate on that a bit more,please?

Also, when was the last time Michael & Spike last spoke in true conversation well as we the public know...?

:wub:

lack of financial backing perhaps, maybe its being blocked by some movie studios. Someone doesnt want this project to happen.

Let's just hope this project is just shelved for later use!!!!!!

This is too bad. :no: I hope it will get released someday. After seeing what Spike did with the TII song, and TDCAU, I know he could make a great tribute film.

Some insight about what the movie is supposed to be about!!:
http://www.shadowandact.com/?p=21951
Samuel L Jackson Talks “Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson” (Spike Lee’s Next Project); Julianne Moore To Play His Wife
By Tambay, on April 22nd, 2010

About a week ago, I posted an entry detailing the contents of Spike Lee’s next project, titled Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson.

Soon afterward, I received one of those “threatening” emails from a law firm representing Spike (Zuber & Taillieu LLP), ordering me to delete all references to the specifics of the project, or face legal action! After a few email exchanges with the attorney on the case, I eventually complied.

A week later, today, comes word that Samuel L Jackson spilled the goods on the project while doing press for his upcoming film Mother And Child; so, it’s all out there now, and I can’t be blamed for “leaking” any of it . Blame Samuel Jackson and his big mouth!

So anyway… Samuel says that Spike was all “depressed” about Michael Jackson’s death, and decided to write a new movie about it.

What’s it about again? Well, as I stated previously, and now verified by Samuel L Jackson, the film will be about a group of Brooklynites who want to throw a concert in a specific area of Brooklyn for Michael Jackson, “and the new gentrified people that live in the neighborhood (who) are worried about the kind of element that might be coming into the neighborhood,” if the event occurred there.

Essentially – and it’s actually a true story by the way – Spike wanted to throw the MJ party in a certain part of Brooklyn that’s no longer what it used to be (if you catch my drift), and the residents of that area weren’t too keen on the idea… because… well… I’m sure you can figure it all out!

Samuel Jackson said it “looks like I might be doing” the movie, and hopes Julianne Moore will play his wife! Recall in my initial post I stated that Julianne Moore, along with John Turturro, Rosie Perez, Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington were all either already attached to star, or were being considered.

Apparently, Samuel and Spike had lunch after the Oscars… “We had a power meeting. We talked about it and I read the script. So it should be okay,” said Samuel.

So, there ya have it… a little more info on Spike’s next project, currently titled, Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson.

I’m sure we’ll be hearing a lot more about this in coming months… whether Samuel was supposed to reveal all that info is his problem to worry about!

Back