Spam spam spam

fondero

Proud Member
As I was reporting once more one of those annoying spam posts that are invading some threads, I realized I was singing: Spam, spam, spam.... cause I was thinking of that classic, unforgettable and superb sketch by Monty Python :lol:

And I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told long ago that they were responsible for the use of the term, true or not, Wikipedia agrees

Spam: Etymology

According to the Internet Society and other sources, the term spam is derived from the 1970 Spam sketch of the BBC television comedy series "Monty Python's Flying Circus". The sketch is set in a cafe where nearly every item on the menu includes Spam canned luncheon meat. As the waiter recites the Spam-filled menu, a chorus of Viking patrons drowns out all conversations with a song repeating "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam... lovely Spam! wonderful Spam!", hence "Spamming" the dialogue.[12] The excessive amount of Spam mentioned in the sketch is a reference to the preponderance of imported canned meat products in the United Kingdom, particularly a brand of spiced ham (SPiced hAM = SPAM) from the USA, in the years after World War II, as the country struggled to rebuild its agricultural base. Spam captured a large slice of the British market within lower economic classes and became a byword among British children of the 1960s for low-grade fodder due to its commonality, monotonous taste and cheap price - hence the humour of the Python sketch.

I'm sure many of you have seen it, anyway enjoy it... I do everytime I watch it! :D

:lol: Now always when I see some spam I'll remembering this sketch.

So much spam going on...........this morning I had spam and eggs for breakfast. :lol:

Back