Sound samples in "History" (song)?

jemini515

Proud Member
Is there a list anywhere of all of the sound samples in the song "History"?

Just wondering!

Thanks!

I've been wondering about this myself. It would be great if there was a transcript including the dates as it's hard to hear everything. Who knows, maybe there is someone who did their thesis or dissertation about this on the board?

I think the Queen of England's first speech is in it & part of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. But a detailed list would be wonderful.

Isn't there a list in the cd booklet? I can't seem to find mine right now so I can't check. :/

Last edited:
Isn't there a list in the cd booklet? I can't seem to find mine right now so I can't check. :/

If so, I would love it if someone could scan that list or copy it... I no longer have my actual CDs anymore since I moved to a smaller apartment and have everything on my computer.

Thanks!

I have no means of scanning, but I can type it up for you..

Audio clips for HIStory include:
Charles Lindbergh Report by Lowell Thomas
Art Collier reporting on Hank Aaron
Robert Kennedy eulogy by Edward Kennedy
Farewell To Baseball by Lou Gehrig
Greetings to the Children of England by Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret
"I am the greatest..." by Muhammad Ali from "Boxing: Champion Forever"
Interview with Berry Gordy from "Conversation With Ed Gordon"
"I am the Edison phonograph" courtesy of Gordon Skene
"I have a dream..." courtesy of the Dr Martin Luther King Jr Estate
"By any means..." courtesy of the Malcolm X Estate

HIStory includes a sample of "Beethoven Lives Upstairs" courtesy of Susan Hammond's Classical Kids
HIStory contains a sample from "Picture At An Exhibition" composed by Modeste Mussorgsky, arranged by Maurice Ravel, performed by The Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy

There you go :)

Thanks Gwyneira! Interesting facts.

It also include sample of Mike himself as a kid.. the "I don't sing it if I don't mean it" bit.

Got this from wiki:

The song sampled multiple musical compositions and historical audio quotes, all of which were dispersed throughout the track. Early in the track, one even included quotes from an interview with a young Michael Jackson from 1970.

America The Brave was also sampled while MJ as a kid is talking.

And a few more bits and pieces not credited in album booklet.

Back