SonyATV makes Warner approach

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
SonyATV makes Warner approach

Sony/ATV, the music group jointly owned by Sony and the Michael Jackson estate, held talks late last year to buy Warner-Chappell, the $2bn-plus music publishing arm of Warner Music.

By Amanda Andrews, Media Editor 7:30AM GMT 22 Jan 2011

News of the discussions with Sony/ATV came as it emerged on Friday that private equity house KKR has also held talks to buy Warner-Chappell from Warner Music, the home of recording legends such as the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac.

The news sent Warner's shares up 23pc in early trading.

Warner Music is simultaneously being advised on tabling a bid for EMI should lender Citigroup get the keys to its British music rival later this year.

Separately, sources told The Daily Telegraph that Guy Hands' Terra Firma late last year embarked on a last-ditch attempt to hold on to debt-laden EMI by approaching Warner Music to buy its recorded music division alongside another financial player.

After hearing that Warner Music was holding talks to sell its publishing arm, sources said Mr Hands made an informal approach to Warner chief executive Edgar Bronfman for its recorded music division in December.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ms/8275022/SonyATV-makes-Warner-approach.html

Hmmm, reminded me of this note where MJ writes about contacting "digital people" (Universal, Warner) and making huge $:

1223-mj-ebay2-credit.jpg

Thank you for posting DI..I guess we will have to see what happens.

Good. It just tugs at your heart that Michael was about to make such larger deals than he did before and this horrible thing happened. I love when he makes more and more money--makes the haters greener with envy, if they can be any greener.

Sometimes I find it uncanny that this Catalog always seem to be linked to something happy and painful at the same time. It seems it is always associated with a joyous moment for Michael but at the same time is associated with people's greed/envy/destruction of him. There is something about this deal, that resembles something he was about to do, that makes you sad some how.

Warner-Chappell is the publisher of MJs music.

Interesting. But is the estate in a position to buy businesses now? I thought they still had a considerable debt.

DI I just loooove your new sig.
hehehehehe.gif

BTW, what song was he singing while doing this dance? I don't have the bluray.

-----

I have a question... I heard the estate is debt free and I believe that... but why do people still say they are in probate???? Or is that something different.... I don't understand?!?!

probate is dealing with things such as lawsuits etc aswell i think. ie once everything is sorted and any fees paid out cause of rulings etc. basically u get to a point where everything has been sorted and thats it then it comes out of probate

Interesting. But is the estate in a position to buy businesses now? I thought they still had a considerable debt.
its not the estate its the sony/ATV company. any money used to buy up cats comes from that company not the individuals.

Back