Sony sued over PS3 firmware update that removes 'OtherOS' feature

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Sony sued over PS3 firmware update that removes 'OtherOS' feature

Sony sued over PS3 firmware update that removes 'OtherOS' feature Sony has been sued this week in California over its recent firmware update that removed the "OtherOS" feature of the PlayStation 3, a feature that had allowed for the installation of Linux on an HDD partition.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/03/29/sony_kills_off_linux_option_for_ps3_owners

The firmware update, version 3.21, was released last month.

The case was brought by Anthony Ventura who is claiming that the update is an "intentional disablement of the valuable functionality originally advertised as available." Ventura adds that millions of customers purchased their consoles with OtherOS advertised, and that Sony has broken the terms of its contract with these customers.

Additionally, Ventura says there are no "security concerns," as Sony claims, and the real reason the feature was removed was to prevent homebrew and piracy. Piracy has decimated PSP software sales, and it seems Sony would like to stop that on the PS3 before it even gets started.

The class action suit is available for all U.S. PS3 owners that purchased their "fat" console before March 27th.

You can read the filing here: Ventura v. Sony:
http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/108/1086720/gov.uscourts.cand.226894.1.0.pdf

While I dont condone piracy, Sony had no right to just come in and change something in your home without your permission. I mean you would not let some stranger come into your home and remove something from you without calling the police or trying to stop them. Say I have five or six different gaming systems and am tired of having to buy a new system each time, Why cant I place a new OS on my Playstation and then place emulators on it to play all my games on one system? I can do this on the Wii and Nintendo is not bent out of shape about it, so I wonder what is Sony's major mental malfunction.​

Last edited:
i hope he takes them to the cleaners. Sony ps3 updates piss me off. They literally FORCE you to do these updates too to even able you to play games that you've been playing for months...they suddenly decide u have to do an update. What happens if you dont have internet access? Do you have to go and buy a brand new game with the required update version just to enable you to use your playstation?

It annoyed me when they brought out this big update, that I literally HAD to do on my ps3 otherwise i wouldnt be able to play games... they remove this other os feature.

i hope he takes them to the cleaners. Sony ps3 updates piss me off. They literally FORCE you to do these updates too to even able you to play games that you've been playing for months...they suddenly decide u have to do an update. What happens if you dont have internet access? Do you have to go and buy a brand new game with the required update version just to enable you to use your playstation?

It annoyed me when they brought out this big update, that I literally HAD to do on my ps3 otherwise i wouldnt be able to play games... they remove this other os feature.

Starting on April 1st, with the PlayStation 3 firmware update v3.21, Sony will kill off the "Other OS" feature which had given "fat" PS3 owners the ability to install Linux on a second partition.

Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media says the move was made "due to security concerns."

Seybold says the update is optional but if users choose not to update they will lose:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

That means the update is pretty much required more than "optional."

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/03/29/sony_kills_off_linux_option_for_ps3_owners

While I dont condone piracy, Sony had no right to just come in and change something in your home without your permission. I mean you would not let some stranger come into your home and remove something from you without calling the police or trying to stop them. Say I have five or six different gaming systems and am tired of having to buy a new system each time, Why cant I place a new OS on my Playstation and then place emulators on it to play all my games on one system? I can do this on the Wii and Nintendo is not bent out of shape about it, so I wonder what is Sony's major mental malfunction.
But it isn't illegal to install other operating systems such as Linux on the PS3.

It is however illegal to install emulators and I don't see how you could emulate a "new system's" games considering there aren't even any stable PS1 emulators / ROMS yet.

Back