Sony Music & MJ?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
I know this has been talked about many of times but.....

Is Sony still contracted to release MJ's music? I thought that contract ended a few years ago, didn't Michael just have 1 or 2 albums to release after Invincible? in which he did with a couple of best of albums?

Now that Sony are realising yet another one with 'This Is It' will this be the last thing Sony will release in terms of Michael Jackson music?

He should not be contracted to anyone, MJ's Estate is surly now in charge of his catalogue!!

To my understanding, MJ's situation with Sony is like this:

-Any music recorded after 2004 is free to be shopped to other labels (and according to reports, there are two albums' worth of post-2004 material that is being shopped to four labels, including Sony, by his estate now).

-Any music recorded between 1976 and 2004, both released and unreleased, is Sony's until 2011.

His contract was fulfilled with the release of The Ultimate Collection boxset in 2004. However, Sony owns the masters to all songs recorded prior to that (both released and unreleased) for seven years. Songs that were written by MJ before that are still MJ's, so long as they were never recorded. After seven years, those masters revert back to MJ, or now, his estate.

This happens often with record labels. Sometimes record labels release compilations and re-releases that the artists don't approve of, for example Mariah Carey's "The Remixes" in 2003 was released by Sony many years after her contract ended. Mariah didn't want it released and did absolutely nothing to promote or even acknowledge it, as if it were an unofficial release. We see Motown do this now with their endless supply of MJ and J5 compilations.

Other times, the labels and artists are friendly about re-releases and work co-operatively, for example Thriller 25. Michael contributed to the project and worked to promote it. MJ has a ridiculously high royalty rate with Sony, I believe something like 47%. So even though Sony owns the rights to the masters, MJ still obviously serves to benefit from re-releases and proper promotion, because of the royalty revenue he'd earn.

Last edited:
Sony sucks. They are perfectly willing to walk all over and trample other people's art if it makes more money for them.

IN addition to how they are handling Mj's music, just look at spider-man 3. Sony gave Raimi almost total control for 1 & 2, but for part 3 they didn't give him much control, and it sucked, but it made the most money. Sony knew it would if they did it that way.

I know that Michael did a new deal with Sony....which gave us Thriller 25th Anniversary.

The This Is It concerts didn't seem to contain any new songs and this is an indication that he might of not scheduled an album to be released.

Or he might of decided to get the touring (o2 concerts and maybe world tour) done first. And then concentrate on final album (maybe with videos) but no more live performances. This might mean that his final album is not finished!

The problem is that all the other studios are no better then sony!!!!

Yes, that´s why Michael created his own music company 1 year before sony killed him.

-Any music recorded after 2004 is free to be shopped to other labels (and according to reports, there are two albums' worth of post-2004 material that is being shopped to four labels, including Sony, by his estate now).

-Any music recorded between 1976 and 2004, both released and unreleased, is Sony's until 2011.

His contract was fulfilled with the release of The Ultimate Collection boxset in 2004. However, Sony owns the masters to all songs recorded prior to that (both released and unreleased) for seven years. Songs that were written by MJ before that are still MJ's, so long as they were never recorded. After seven years, those masters revert back to MJ, or now, his estate.

This happens often with record labels. Sometimes record labels release compilations and re-releases that the artists don't approve of, for example Mariah Carey's "The Remixes" in 2003 was released by Sony many years after her contract ended. Mariah didn't want it released and did absolutely nothing to promote or even acknowledge it, as if it were an unofficial release. We see Motown do this now with their endless supply of MJ and J5 compilations.

Other times, the labels and artists are friendly about re-releases and work co-operatively, for example Thriller 25. Michael contributed to the project and worked to promote it. MJ has a ridiculously high royalty rate with Sony, I believe something like 47%. So even though Sony owns the rights to the masters, MJ still obviously serves to benefit from re-releases and proper promotion, because of the royalty revenue he'd earn.

If accurate, this is very detailed.. and thanks!

dito what electrick eyez says although i read the royalty rate was nearer 30%

The problem is that all the other studios are no better then sony!!!!
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

you are so right. Look what IDJ/UMG did to Janet's.

smh.

Thanks electrickeyez for your explanation!

I'm interested in this thread, Michael's relation with Sony is very interesting for me. I know that Sony hides many things related with Michael, he told us a little bit in the past but I want to know "everything" about this mafia ($ony).

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Excellent synopsis.

MJ was in control of his empire when it came to his publishing & artistry.

Thanks electrickeyez for your explanation!

I'm interested in this thread, Michael's relation with Sony is very interesting for me. I know that Sony hides many things related with Michael, he told us a little bit in the past but I want to know "everything" about this mafia ($ony).

Tommy Mottola has been affiliated with the mafia for YEARS with his pal Morris Levy, a member of the Genovese crime family.

Read about it here:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/features/n_8387/

who would have thought lol thats not what a nice jewish boy should be getting involved in as my grandmother would say lol

lol remember watching docus where it was said the first mafia type gangs in N.Y were actually jewish ones.

Back