SONY/ATV Catalogue. What it really means to the estate.

I read the article & THANK YOU for it.

So MJ's stake is about $750 million at this point - which include 60-70% of all the music that plays on the radio in every genre of music.

MJ = Genius. And no one can take that away from him OR his children, ever.

Value

The value of Sony/ATV Music Publishing has varied in reports. In 2002, Forbes magazine estimated Jackson's 50% stake in the company, along with other music publishing ventures, to be worth $450 million. The organisation was valued at $700 million in 2003. Industry experts valued the catalogue at between $600 million and $1 billion in 2004, based on the sales of rival catalogues. Charles Koppelman, a veteran music industry executive, stated that $1 billion was more reflective of Sony/ATV Music Publishing's worth. "Buyers would be lining up around the block if it were ever put up for sale", he said. "And I'd be in the front of the line." The value of the company was further estimated by Ryan Schinman, chief of Platinum Rye, to be $1.5 billion

In 2005, Jackson's defense attorney, Thomas Mesereau revealed that the song catalogue had been valued at between $4 billion and $5 billion. The company's song catalogue is believed to generate up to $80 million a year; The Beatles' hits alone bring in $30 million to $45 million a year. Jackson's other publishing firm, Mijac, which publishes songs written by Jackson himself, is valued to be worth at least $75 million.

:punk::punk::punk:

Thanks for the link.

in 2007 when mj was refinancing his loan his share in sony/atv was estimated to be 1.5 billions that was official documents, and the company generates above 350 millions a year, it is really insulting to claim that 251 songs for the beatles generate as much as the other 749.749 owned by the company. so what mez stated was much more accurate

and Michael owns his won song too (MIJAC) and that will have a huge value in the future!

in 2007 when mj was refinancing his loan his share in sony/atv was estimated to be 1.5 billions that was official documents, and the company generates above 350 millions a year, it is really insulting to claim that 251 songs for the beatles generate as much as the other 749.749 owned by the company. so what mez stated was much more accurate

Well, music, like any other commodity goes up and down in value. With age and popularity, things change in terms of worth. There are certain songs that have more value because of the 'tunes' and how they can be used. Some Beatles tunes are great music on their own, even with no words.

Over time some music becomes less popular because the people who followed the musicians get older and other music becomes more popular. There was a time when Frank Sinatra dominated the charts, or Judy Garland. As Elvis' fans grow older, his music will not be as popular. Its just a fact of life. This is why you need to keep refreshing the catalog. There are a lot of people who didn't even know who Paul Anka was and he was pretty popular once.

Its pretty amazing how media, or lets say financial journalists ignore the basic facts and permanently twist the facts... of course with reducing the status of MJs asset = Michael is a billionaire...

Well, music, like any other commodity goes up and down in value. With age and popularity, things change in terms of worth. There are certain songs that have more value because of the 'tunes' and how they can be used. Some Beatles tunes are great music on their own, even with no words.

Over time some music becomes less popular because the people who followed the musicians get older and other music becomes more popular. There was a time when Frank Sinatra dominated the charts, or Judy Garland. As Elvis' fans grow older, his music will not be as popular. Its just a fact of life. This is why you need to keep refreshing the catalog. There are a lot of people who didn't even know who Paul Anka was and he was pretty popular once.[/QUOTE

Neither Anka nor Elvis or Sinatra could ever transcend generations and borders with their music like Michael did.That's why I believe his music will last for much much longer.
My parents are 78,I'm 44,my kids are 16 and 18 and we are all fans.And I've seen that in many families.

Over time some music becomes less popular because the people who followed the musicians get older and other music becomes more popular. There was a time when Frank Sinatra dominated the charts, or Judy Garland. As Elvis' fans grow older, his music will not be as popular. Its just a fact of life. This is why you need to keep refreshing the catalog. There are a lot of people who didn't even know who Paul Anka was and he was pretty popular once.[/QUOTE

Neither Anka nor Elvis or Sinatra could ever transcend generations and borders with their music like Michael did.That's why I believe his music will last for much much longer.
My parents are 78,I'm 44,my kids are 16 and 18 and we are all fans.And I've seen that in many families.

Michaels music might last longer but his music is not part of the catalog. Fortunately, he has MIJAC publishing which he owned. Actually, Elvis is not doing too badly all things considered and his music still sells.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing oversees the publishing of approximately 750,000 songs — performers as varied as The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, The Everly Brothers, Destiny’s Child, Hank Williams, Joni Mitchell, System of a Down, Eminem, Neil Diamond, Björk, Lady Gaga, The Jonas Brothers, Akon, Flo Rida, Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift and many others. Sony/ATV is the fourth-largest music publisher in the world.

The company acquired the Acuff-Rose catalog (featuring classics from Hank Williams and Roy Orbison) in 2002 for $157 million from Gaylord Entertainment.

Sony/ATV expanded its business in 2007 with the acquisition of publisher Famous Music from Viacom. The deal was worth some $370 million, and added 125,000 songs and sound cues to Sony/ATV’s catalog.

The growing company also scored a hit when it acquired the catalogue of award-winning songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller in 2007 for some $45 million.

In 2005, Jackson’s defense attorney, Thomas Mesereau, revealed that the song catalogue had been valued at between $4 billion and $5 billion. The company’s song catalogue is believed to generate up to $80 million a year.

WHO IS THE KING???
YES.

Michael Jackson.

Here's what I don't get, when the media talks about mj finances hey always talk about the beatles... But what about MJs own music, are they really worth nothing compared to the beatles?

This is a BS, this is not a Beatles catalog, this is Sony/ATV and consists of only 158 songs of the Beatles... of the 750,000 songs...

MiJac publishing (which doesnt mean all MJ songs) is worth... 75-100 mill. dolars...

The Beatles songs themselves are worth 30-50 mil. dollars.

Holy smokes! The Beatles songs rake in over half the annual earnings! $45Million, WOWZERS!

This is a BS, this is not a Beatles catalog, this is Sony/ATV and consists of only 158 songs of the Beatles... of the 750,000 songs...

MiJac publishing (which doesnt mean all MJ songs) is worth... 75-100 mill. dolars...

The Beatles songs themselves are worth 30-50 mil. dollars.

if mijac doesn't contain all his songs then... where do the other songs belong?

i guess the ppl who wrote them or berry gordy for the motown songs. mijac also contains many songs by other arstists. jackie wilson sly stone etc. it isnt just made up of mj songs

Have you seen the list of Sony/ATV Music Publishing artists? It doesn't seem likely that The Beatles could be generating half of their earnings.

Of course not, that is just a "twisting" media agenda... boosting The Beatles as (lets say) the leaders and money makers... for Michael (?) from Sony/ATV... In fact, its approximately (max.) 1/5...

BTW, WikiPedia is not a relevant source... :fortuneteller:, its a "history changer"....

Here's what I don't get, when the media talks about mj finances hey always talk about the beatles... But what about MJs own music, are they really worth nothing compared to the beatles?
of course not. the media is anti MJ. there are songs in that catalogue from all over the place that make it unjustifiable for anything that the media ever said negatively about MJ's finances. and MJ fans clamour year after year for MJ's own music. and it has never stopped.

Back