Sony/ATV Bidding For The Marketing Rights To Elvis Presley's Estate

billyworld99

Proud Member
elvis_presley--300x300.jpg

By CLAIRE ATKINSON
June 13, 2013

The sale of marketing rights to the Elvis Presley estate is shaping up as a real Heartbreak Hotel, The Post has learned.

Just three suitors have expressed interest in the assets — which will be sold alongside those of Muhammad Ali — just two weeks before initial bids are due, sources said.

The two assets are expected to fetch a total of $200 million, sources said.

The low turnout is not unexpected, as the Elvis assets being sold by Apollo Global Management are varied, running the gamut of music rights, a hotel, tours, potential movie rights, The King’s image and likeness, and more — which require a wide spectrum of talents and abilities for any one suitor.

Apollo will cancel the sale if it fails to attract what it considers a minimum bid, sources said.

The potential bidders include music-publishing company Sony/ATV, and investment firms Guggenheim Partners and G2 Investment Group.

G2 is run by Todd Morley, a former Guggenheim Partners executive.

The Raine Group, which is executing the sale on behalf of Apollo’s Core Media unit, previously known as CKx, has set a June 26 deadline for first-round offers.

“The current owners really did all they could with the Elvis estate,” one banking source told The Post. “They jacked up the ticket price and merchandise.”

However, revenues of the estate have been hurt, the source added, by the shuttering last fall of the “Viva Elvis” show at the MGM in Las Vegas.

The Raine Group is working in concert with entertainment lawyer John Branca, an executor of the Michael Jackson estate.

A bid by Sony/ATV — co-owned by the Michael Jackson estate — would be aimed at acquiring the Elvis music catalog included in the assets, sources said.

Sony/ATV would tie up with a partner that could take on operations at Graceland, Elvis’ former home in Memphis, Tenn.

Given Sony/ATV’s siblings, Sony Pictures and Sony Pictures TV, the company would be well placed to polish the Elvis brand.

G2, according to a source, is interested in both the Elvis and Ali businesses.

A bid by Guggenheim Partners fits in with the company’s focus on live music and sports events.

Core Media, then CKx, was purchased by Apollo Global Management for $509 million in 2011. At the time, Apollo was expecting returns from “Viva Elvis” to run for some time.

Elvis Enterprises was acquired by CKx in 2005 when its CEO Bob Sillerman, paid $100 million for an 85 percent stake.

The balance is held by Lisa Marie Presley.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/few_court_king_5mSEIqYoKBMxqb48kSyjcO

More reasons for the establishment to hate on mj!

The establishment can suck eggs.. Who cares - This is building Michael Estate and Sony/Atv is the best hands for the Elvis Catalog to be in. They can do a lot for the Elvis Brand.

The Raine Group is working in concert with entertainment lawyer John Branca, an executor of the Michael Jackson Estate.

A bid by Sony/ATV — co-owned by the Michael Jackson estate — would be aimed at acquiring the Elvis music catalog included in the assets, sources said.

Sony/ATV would tie up with a partner that could take on operations at Graceland, Elvis’ former home in Memphis, Tenn.

Given Sony/ATV’s siblings, Sony Pictures and Sony Pictures TV, the company would be well placed to polish the Elvis brand.

A lot of people in the US would be extremely butthurt if the MJ Estate got it. But I'd love it!

Who cares about the haters, it's something the fans have learned to live with. Great move if it happens.

I dont care. just saying. they hate the fact he owns the beatles and some of e.p music already.

This is an interesting turn of Events. The Sony/ATV music publishing catalog does own all of Elvis's #1 hits. I wonder what this Company would take as a minimum bid? John Branca advised Michael Jackson to bid $9 million for "Neverland," when Bill Bones was asking $35 million. Michael's competition put in a bid of $14 million and Bill Bones said yes to Michael's $17 million. If John Branca bid that low for "Neverland" originally, I wonder if this Company would take anything less than $100 million or just break even? Michael's Estate would bid $50 million and Sony/ATV would bid $50 million. It really is hard to say, as the Elvis brand just doesn't sell like it once did, as the Elvis Show had to close already. Elvis's fan's are pretty old, the one's who fell in love with him back in the mid-1950's, the core group. There just isn't that nostalgic feeling that's why the Company is selling off Elvis's property so they don't lose their shirt. Those maintenance fees are a killer for anyone!

graceland.jpg

Is this the worthy investment and will it bring in money? The previous owner clearly lost many money since he bought the Elvis estate. It seems the value of the estate drops dramatically in merely 2 years. I am not very exited like some fans here.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Did You know that Michael Jackson/MJ Estate owns more then 60 Elvis Presley songs through his joint venture with Sony?

Below You can find a full list of these songs:

AN AMERICAN TRILOGY (Mickey Newbury)
AND THE GRASS WON&#8217;T PAY NO MIND (Neil Diamond)
BIG BOSS MAN (Al Smith/Luther Dixon)
BOSSA NOVA BABY (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
BURNING LOVE (Dennis Linde)
DIRTY DIRTY FEELING (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
DON&#8217;T (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
DON&#8217;T CRY DADDY (Mac Davis)
FOOLS FALL IN LOVE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
FUNNY HOW TIME SLIPS AWAY (Willie Nelson)
GET BACK (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
HE IS MY EVERYTHING (Dallas Frazier)
HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Mae Boren Axton/Tommy Durden/Elvis Presley)
HELP ME (Larry Gatlin)
HEY JUDE (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
HOT DOG (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
HOW&#8217;S THE WORLD TREATING YOU (Chet Atkins/Boudleaux Bryant)
I CAN&#8217;T STOP LOVING YOU (Don Gibson)
I FEEL SO BAD (Chuck Willis)
I LOVE YOU BECAUSE (Leon Payne)
I WANT TO BE FREE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
IN THE GARDEN (Gordon Stoker/Neal Matthews)
IN THE GHETTO (Mac Davis)
IT&#8217;S A SIN (Fred Rose/Zeb Turner)
JAILHOUSE ROCK (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
JUST TELL HER JIM SAID HELLO (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
KING CREOLE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LAWDY MISS CLAWDY (Lloyd Price)
LITTLE EGYPT (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LONG TALL SALLY (Richard Penniman/Entoris Johnson/Robert Blackwell)
LOVE COMING DOWN (Jerry Chesnut)
LOVE LETTERS (Victor Young/Edward Heyman)
LOVE ME (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LOVING YOU (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY (Hank Cochran)
MIRACLE OF THE ROSARY (Lee Denson)
NEVER AGAIN (Billy Edd Wheeler/Jerry Chesnut)
ONE NIGHT (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King/Anita Steiman)
RELEASE ME (Eddie Miller/Dub Williams/Robert Yount)
RIP IT UP (Robert Blackwell/John Marascalco)
SANTA CLAUS IS BACK IN TOWN (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SAVED (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SHE&#8217;S NOT YOU (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Doc Pomus)
STEADFAST, LOYAL, AND TRUE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SUSPICIOUS MINDS (Mark James)
SWEET CAROLINE (Neil Diamond)
THAT&#8217;S WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGIN (Fred Fisher/Billy Hill/William Raskin)
THERE GOES MY EVERYTHING (Dallas Frazier)
TREAT ME NICE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
TROUBLE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
T-R-O-U-B-L-E (Jerry Chesnut)
TUTTI FRUTTI (Richard Penniman/Dorothy LaBostrie/Joe Lubin)
WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES (Joe South)
WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK (Russell Moody/Bert Carroll)
WELCOME TO MY WORLD (Ray Winkler/John Hathcock)
WITCHCRAFT (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King)
YESTERDAY (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
(YOU&#8217;RE SO SQUARE) BABY I DON&#8217;T CARE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)

what is marketing right? what's the difference from publishing right?

as an Elvis fan i was livid when the last sale took place. right now i'm confuse as what this means for Elvis image and future of the estate. i just hope it doesn't get worse then it is today

Apparently there's nothing confirmed and Sony / ATV is just one of the proponents.

But I found the news very promising and regret that things are not going so well for the Estate of Elvis, who is a great artist and deserves value and good management of their business.

That is excellent for both parties.

Feels funny people are jumping for joy about this since it doesn't really benefit Michael himself but his estate and Sony ATV. It ain't just Elvis but it also has to do with Ali. Whoever gets it, hope they don't sabotage neither one of them. It ain't even that serious.

as an Elvis fan i was livid when the last sale took place. right now i'm confuse as what this means for Elvis image and future of the estate. i just hope it doesn't get worse then it is today

I just look at it as people don't know what they're doing. If Sony ATV does get it, they may find a way to salvage the good names of Ali and Elvis. They're both icons so their images shouldn't be squandered.

then the nightmares that Priscilla Presley had during the marriage of her daughter with Michael, maybe it was the main reason for her negative attitude during and after imo, can actually happen somehow?
if actually happens, it will be very ironic :ph34r: lol

I believe Priscilla's nightmares started with Thriller , the 1993 and 2003 were such a relieve to her because she believed finally something happened that would prevent MJ from being as big and influential as her abusing husband was.However, MJ proved her wrong dead and alive . What MJ's estate made in two to three years outdid what Elvis estate did in 30 years . The estate was doing well, he constantly was the top earner among the dead celebrities for decades, until MJ died everything changed then.

Apparently there's nothing confirmed and Sony / ATV is just one of the proponents.

But I found the news very promising and regret that things are not going so well for the Estate of Elvis, who is a great artist and deserves value and good management of their business.

That is excellent for both parties.
I just hope they don't ruine image of Elvis anymore then it have been over the last few years.
I just look at it as people don't know what they're doing. If Sony ATV does get it, they may find a way to salvage the good names of Ali and Elvis. They're both icons so their images shouldn't be squandered.
i'm worried because if this is true the same people will have control over not one but three icons.. they won't care one bit about the legacy of these men.

I just hope they don't ruine image of Elvis anymore then it have been over the last few years.

i'm worried because if this is true the same people will have control over not one but three icons.. they won't care one bit about the legacy of these men.
Im not sure I understand what you mean. Can you explain why they wouldn't try to further the legacy's or not care . If they don't plan on doing that, what would be the purpose of spending millions to have the publishing rights? When the Artist's Legacy is successful .. they are successful.

Like everything else, it may turn out good or bad. I find that it all depends on the way they make use of and handle the things they will be allowed to use.
So far from what i've seen is that the Estate of MJ's only worthly product(!) released is Bad25. Imagine them making them the same kind of mistakes like not creditin someone, or the M album. That will turn out baddddd, real bad

Sounds great to me!!

Imagine MJ Estate own The Beatles, Elvis, MJ and Eminem. - Some of the best selling artist in the world! (Eminem in the 00's)

It would be HUGE and great for the Estate. - It sure would be worth a lot and make a lot of money each year.

No matter how much I despise racist Priscilla Presley and would want nothing but the worse for her (in this case a black man's estate co-owning her precious Elvis) from a business standpoint, I don't believe this is a wise investment.

i have been saying for years now that I believe Dear Old Priscilla & co have been inflating EP's estate revenue. I don't believe for a second EPE have had the reported annual revenue of $60M...this is a dead asset (no pun intended) and I don't think
Sony/ATV should gamble on it. Not after the recent EMI takeover.

And let's not forget , EP didn't write his songs.
Baby boomers are retired and aren't buying music as they used to. Younger gens don't know or can't relate to EP. They've exploited those assets for 30 years and now are passing them around from one investor to the next.

Back