Songs Very Similar To MJ Ones?

This Is It

Proud Member
Lyric/melody/video-wise etc., which songs bear big resemblances to MJ ones?

Akon & Kardinal Offishall's Dangerous is similar to Michael's song of the same name. It's about a dangerous girl, and Akon is influenced by - and a big fan of - Michael.

Heartbreaker is much like to will.i.am's song of the same name, Taio Cruz's Break Your Heart - plus many other similar songs.

The Invincible album wasn't given the warmest critical reception, but it was ahead of its time by years. It's what music's like a decade on. The likes of Ne-Yo, Usher, Justin Timberlake, even Kanye West, are very much making music like that on Invincible. The Black Eyed Peas may be called innovative, but their latest album is basically 2000 Watts - futuristic words, computerisation... Just listen to it, you'll understand.

This came out before Billie Jean, but Hall & Oates' I Can't Go For That has a similar rhythm.
[youtube]cGZwPGsfcwM&fmt=18[/youtube]
These came out afterward:

Billy Ocean ~ Caribbean Queen
[youtube]VhJIDETEVIQ&fmt=18[/youtube]
Midnight Star ~ Night Rider
[youtube]8h7XcJhM_BU&fmt=18[/youtube]
Lydia Murdock ~ Superstar
[youtube]wtYbOKxwxYM&fmt=18[/youtube]
Robert Palmer ~ Addicted To Love

[youtube]EiiZcTuegi4&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Lyric/melody/video-wise etc., which songs bear big resemblances to MJ ones?

Akon & Kardinal Offishall's Dangerous is similar to Michael's song of the same name. It's about a dangerous girl, and Akon is influenced by - and a big fan of - Michael.

Heartbreaker is much like to will.i.am's song of the same name, Taio Cruz's Break Your Heart - plus many other similar songs.

The Invincible album wasn't given the warmest critical reception, but it was ahead of its time by years. It's what music's like a decade on. The likes of Ne-Yo, Usher, Justin Timberlake, even Kanye West, are very much making music like that on Invincible. The Black Eyed Peas may be called innovative, but their latest album is basically 2000 Watts - futuristic words, computerisation... Just listen to it, you'll understand.

ur so right about that. that's why all the negative stuff i ever heard about MJ, i know, was based on envy. there was also, Kylie Minogue..she had a song out that was deliberately sounding like Heartbreaker. still invincible hit number 1. so..media be damned.

the song by Minogue is called 'red blooded woman', and it got mixed reviews by critics..meaning some of them were good..plus the song charted well around the world, top five in some countries..and in the country where MJ got the most flack..the usa..this song by Minogue reached number 1 on the dance chart. that's why i never trusted critics when it came to MJ. i know their 'critiques' were just jabs at MJ the person, but they knew his invincible tracks were good. naturally, 'red blooded woman' got played on the radio, and 'heartbreaker' did not get played on the radio. here's the kylie track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBpAjXIqmv8

This came out before Billie Jean, but Hall & Oates' I Can't Go For That has a similar rhythm.
[youtube]-HfKbgEzivk&fmt=18[/youtube]
These came out afterward:

Billy Ocean ~ Caribbean Queen
[youtube]VhJIDETEVIQ&fmt=18[/youtube]
Midnight Star ~ Night Rider
[youtube]8h7XcJhM_BU&fmt=18[/youtube]
Lydia Murdock ~ Superstar
[youtube]wtYbOKxwxYM&fmt=18[/youtube]
Robert Palmer ~ Addicted To Love

[youtube]EiiZcTuegi4&fmt=18[/youtube]

lol..that murdoch chick, either was about comedy, or seriously needing an airwaves restraining order against her. obviously she was obsessed with Michael. came very close to plagarism, too.
there was also papa don't preach and like a virgin by Madonna..and a whole train of billie jean soundalikes. i think it's the most mimicked song, understandably. that hall and oates song doesn't seem to have the essence. i guess that's why nobody copied it, per se..

this would be a fun thread..

ironically, i believe that R Kelly's 'i believe i can fly' sounds like 'you are not alone.' lol

if i can think of some more, i'll come back here. i know there are a lot out there...but..a little sadness keeps me forgetting, at the moment..

edit: there's 'i can dream about you' from the dirty dancing soundtrack. moreover the video was the thing, there...where the lead singer did the moonwalk.

Last edited:
The following song makes me think about Mike. The singer is called Matt. He's a french R'n'B singer. The song is entitled "Le test" (which means "the test") Came out in 2006. Take the time to listen to the whole song and you'll think about MJ for sure. Here :

[youtube]GdyGFbuLe_0[/youtube]

Last edited:
lol..that murdoch chick, either was about comedy, or seriously needing an airwaves restraining order against her. obviously she was obsessed with Michael. came very close to plagarism, too.
It's just an answer song to Billie Jean, not plagarism. In the blues and R&B genres, there's a long history of answer or reply songs to a popular hit. The Silhouettes had a song in the 1960s called "Get A Job". The Miracles put out a reply called "Got A Job". Later on, it became popular with rap acts as well, like with the endless replies to UTFO's "Roxanne Roxanne" and the late 1980s "battle" records between LL Cool J and Kool Moe Dee.

Beyonces Sweet Dream always reminds me of MJ, especially the begining...

This reminds me of Baby Be Mine. I couldn't find the studio version (probably because it's on Warner Brothers). The tempo is a bit faster on the live version.
[youtube]PNPRwMpt6Ao&fmt=18[/youtube]
This doesn't sound like any MJ tunes, but the chant from Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' comes from here.

[youtube]aWK_Josc0Og&fmt=18[/youtube]

The rhythm on Blood On The Dance Floor appears to come from the bassline of this early 80's funk classic.
[youtube]GtfZbj4J71A&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back