...something I discovered about the Prince Opus. [Mystery Solved]

Pretty_Young_Thriller

Proud Member
I already ordered my Michael Opus, but I was looking at the details for the Prince Opus again and discovered that I already own a book that's VERY similar. It even has the same name.

This is the home page for the Prince Opus - 21 Nights:
http://www.krakenopus.com/family/prince/index.php

This is the book, 21 Nights, I bought a couple of days ago... for less than $13 at a half-priced bookstore:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

There aren't many differences at all except the price. The book on Amazon even comes with a CD of the songs that are loaded to the iPod that comes with the Opus.

Edit: Somehow the Opus people are involved with the book on Amazon too. They're listed Ryan Supple and Bobby Heller as Opus Reps Agents.

Last edited:
Re: I'm not so sure about Opus anymore... something I discovered about the Prince Opus.

Is it the same book?

Michael's is an unlimited print run too. The Prince 21 nights is limited to 950 copies worldwide. So the Prince one is more exclusive than Michael's already based on that. I still want one though.

Re: I'm not so sure about Opus anymore... something I discovered about the Prince Opus.

It's not the same book but it does have the same pictures, poetry, etc.

The Opus version is just a fancier version of the same thing though from what I can tell -- and it comes with an iPod with the songs and a live performance video.

By exclusive, I meant that I hope I don't find out the MJ Opus is just a fancy version of all the other books we already have or can buy on Amazon for a much cheaper price.

Opus is unique. If someone copied their product and is selling it on amazon that's just sad and I'm sure they will get caught. If I remember the Prince Opus was like 900 bucks so I can't believe the quality and hard work that went into opus could be duplicated. I hope they don't do that to Michael's because check out my interview with them - the proceeds go 100% to who Michael wanted it to go too.

They do have a copyright on it right?
So anyone who duplicates it, is against the law and can get some jail time or some high fine.

Anything created in a tangible form has a copyright. So if the copyright holder wants to sue, they can. I doubt there would be jail time for this kind of thing, but the fines can be quite high, especially where photographs are concerned.

I don't believe this book is unofficial. The authors are listed as Prince and Randee St. Nicholas (the photographer) and it came out a year ago with a reputable publisher. It is possible Prince and his photog sold the rights to the publisher of this book and the Opus people. I don't know where that leaves anybody on the copyright issue.

I'm sure the Opus is more grand--I don't doubt that at all, but the content is the same or almost all the same for sure. The cheap book is very beautiful too btw. And I'm still excited for my opus to get here. I don't want anyone to think I'm like "omg I shouldn't have bought it". I just saw this and it made me worry a little about the actual contents of the book.

Yes it's definitely possible that the copyright owner(s) gave permission for the content to be used, sold rights, etc. That happens all the time.

I do like the fact though that with the Opus, a good chunk of the proceeds goes to the estate (the children, Katherine, and MJ's charities).

mj's opus will be made w/ class and love. it was something mj was excited about. i have no doubt that you won't be disappointed

Mystery solved guys! The first thing I did when I got home from work is crack the book open and go through the credits. Somehow the Opus people are involved with the book on Amazon too. They're listed Ryan Supple and Bobby Heller as Opus Reps Agents. I don't know why there's the Opus version and then the 'baby Opus', but that definitely explains why the content is the same.

Mystery solved guys! The first thing I did when I got home from work is crack the book open and go through the credits. Somehow the Opus people are involved with the book on Amazon too. They're listed Ryan Supple and Bobby Heller as Opus Reps Agents. I don't know why there's the Opus version and then the 'baby Opus', but that definitely explains why the content is the same.

I'd be kind of upset about that if I bought the Prince OPUS as expensive as it is, then see that this is for sale and almost the same thing for significantly cheaper. I'm still on the fence about buying Michael's Opus, but if I do, you better believe I'd be pissed if like a year later a baby Opus appears on like amazon.com or something for 19.95.

Back