Some Music is Just Better Live

IvoryKeys

Proud Member
When Sdeidjs made the thread on the Live Music Archive, this posed the idea to have a thread dedicated to some of the best live cuts out there. As many of us listeners, artists and musicians alike know, some music out there is just better live. Experiencing the music with other people who also enjoy the same song and idea. You also get the chance to hear a possibly new version of your favorite song. Many artists like to change it up a little bit live, and really get the chance to extend the music.

Here are some of my favorites:

Umphry's McGee - Walletsworth.
Typical Jam band if you will. Love the guitar playing the most on here, and what makes this song so interesting is the complete change of tempo and melody in the end. I love it. Great to hear live.

John Mayer Trio - Chicken Grease Jam (D'Angelo Cover)/Cissy Strut (The Meters cover)
This is just John being his normal goofy self in 2005. It's lengthy, and mostly guitar, but I just loved it when I first heard it. Made me go look up these 2 songs and find their roots.
Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino play great solos in here as well if there are any drum and bass fans out there.

John Mayer - Neon (Acoustic)
Regular Mayer at his best. He has a wonderful ability to make a large venue seem like an intimate club with his acoustic sets. This is a little more 'jammy' compared to a song like "Stop This Train", but it's still wonderfully intimate. I've had the privilege of attending 3 Mayer concerts. All of which were great! But i've always adored his acoustic sets the most in his shows. John always delivers live with me.

AAAAAAND......The Ultimate live band for any Jam Band fan alive.....
PHISH!!! - My Friend, My Friend
Hell, they made their living and popularity out of playing live!
This is the song that got me into them. Im a new Phish fan. I'm getting the chance to see them this summer for the first time. This is quite a big deal for the Phish phan community. They haven't toured in awhile. Lord knows that when I do go, the air will reek of pot so much that I won't be able to breathe properly, lol!

I'll post some of my favorite live R&B music later...

great thread, and yep there are many elements to it - the actual live experience, the improv jamming, the 'imperfections', the oft-reworked arrangements, making complex use of simpler instrumentation, etc. etc. and a lot of the time it's 'naturally' syncopated (intentionally or otherwise).. just love it.

and with regards to recordings, people do debate which is better - live or studio - but i think it's an irrational comparison since both are completely different. studio is obviously more of an intricate work of art involving many processes (recording, production, engineering, focus on audio quality/acoustics) and the intimacy of it is unmatched. but a live version is just more free with a different focus in the ways highlighted above.

will go short-list some favs and upload..

Great thread, I was going to post a similar one but I just wanted to list my favourite Live albums (soul generally) and see if anyone has any other ones to recommend.

Best ones I have heard up to now:

Sam Cooke , live at the copa

Sam cooke, Harlem square (not the remastered version, because the original has much better noise of the crowd who are crucial to this recording)

Otis redding live in Europe (some places its called live in London and Paris)

Donny Hathaway Live.

Queen live (don't know the name of the album, but theres some songs on there like love of my life and we will rock you that are very good)

I personally don't like the Jacksons live album that came out as they are more of a visual act and it doesnt really come across in the recording how the crowd are getting involved.

Did somebody say live music?!?!?!?!?!?!?:wub:
It's JOURNEY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwnM3T-vVa4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwnM3T-vVa4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My absolute favorite bootleg. I actually contemplate if it isn't better than the officially released "Natural Wonder" album, the only reason I hesitate is because the other had a full orchestra.

Golden Lady

Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)

Tuesday Heartbreak

All I Do

So What The Fuss

I agree.

rexyoung.jpg

Back