So what's this funky song during BET 2003 MJ performance?

Science Freak

Proud Member
In a place with soul and love, it's called: Home.
Hi fellow MJ fans,

Does anyone know which song is played during the little MJ performance in front of James Brown on the BET 2003 awards?
The music starts at: 0:26

The song is funky, catchy and very neat to dance on.
Normally I would already have found the answer myself, though I'm not so busy with MJ anymore so please does anyone know?

Thank you very much!

Make it Funky.

MJ also samples a bit of it on at least one his live performances of
Dancing Machine......towards the end of the song. MSG 30th Anniversary.
MJ sings what sounds like "Ahh make it funky! Hoo!!" but the band is playing the bridge to Sex Machine, not the song Make it Funky. (And the horns play the Shake Your Body riff at the end).

I was wondering, has anybody here seen this live ? By "live" i mean either being there or watching it thanks to a tv (or whatever) as it's taking place. I'm a little "jealous" (in a positive way) because i saw it on youtube. As a consequence, i knew what i was going to watch. I did not know the the whole choreography beforehand but i knew he'd be there. The effect of surprise was a little ruined.

On a side note, i'd like to thank the OP for "broadcasting" this performance and make us drift to it again. It's beautiful to see Michael dance in front of his biggest influence the way he must have done so many times as a kid. What's a good equivalent ? Throwing a kick in front of Bruce Lee ? :)

MJ sings what sounds like "Ahh make it funky! Hoo!!" but the band is playing the bridge to Sex Machine, not the song Make it Funky.
(And the horns play the Shake Your Body riff at the end).

Thanks Cav!
That's probably true, about the bridge and such, and I'm sure it is, (probably why that ending sounded so familiar)
but Michael ACTUALLY DOES say those words..."Make it funky".

I was wondering, has anybody here seen this live ?
By "live" i mean either being there or watching it thanks to a tv (or whatever) as it's taking place. :)

OMGosh yes! I got it.... on....wait for it.... VHS! :lol:

Back then I liked recording some of the award shows anyway. Tho we knew
JB was receiving the award, I had NO IDEA MJ was gonna present JB with it.
By the looks of things no one knew MJ would be presenting. When he came out,
my eyes bucked and I screamed to the top of my lungs! Hahahaha!
It was soooo great to see that. And yes, I shed a few tears from pure
excitement and the joy of seeing this happen! Totally suprised! :D

And we all know that MJ was a sex-y machine.

Thanks Cav!
That's probably true, about the bridge and such, and I'm sure it is, (probably why that ending sounded so familiar)
but Michael ACTUALLY DOES say those words..."Make it funky".
He sure did! As short as that dance was, you can see MJ got so into it. Ever the perfectionist, MJ always seemed hesitant to perform spontaneously. But when JB asked him, it seemed as if he didn't want to let his idol down and he just allowed himself to be swept up by the music - as he did some 20 years earlier when JB called him and Prince out onstage, and Mike proceeded to sing a few lines and bust out some insanely fast footwork. Both great moments.

It's great that you got to see it without knowing MJ would be there. I read about in on the boards before seeing the clip. Still was very exciting to watch.

Back