So was Michael planning on wearing the full Smooth Criminal suit for This Is It?

analogue

Proud Member
For all of MJ's other tours whenever he would perform Smooth Criminal he never wore the full suit. All he wore was the jacket and hat cause he obviously wouldn't have enough time to change into the full suit (HIStory tour was the closest we ever got to having him wear the full suit on stage) but for This It It a movie of Smooth Criminal was gonna be shown before the performance and then MJ was gonna jump out of the movie and onto the stage and in the movie he was wearing the full Smooth Criminal suit.

So i think that yes, he was gonna wear the full suit because it would have looked stupid to see him in the movie with the full suit on and then have him jump onto the stage only wearing half a costume, and while the movie was playing that would have given him enough time to change back stage

At the Michael Jackson Exhibition at the 02, the costume was present. It looked exactly the same as the 'Moonwalker' one. He was planning to wear the full thing. Can't believe how many costumes changes there was.

Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It and Thriller, were going to be the only original costumes from the short films. (Except Billie Jean - Motown outfit) I didn't see the Beat It jacket it there though.

Last edited:
At the Michael Jackson Exhibition at the 02, the costume was present. It looked exactly the same as the 'Moonwalker' one. He was planning to wear the full thing. Can't believe how many costumes changes there was.

Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It and Thriller, were going to be the only original costumes from the short films. I didn't see the Beat It jacket it there though.

I think this was the Beat It jacket for THis Is It

Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It and Thriller, were going to be the only original costumes from the short films.

The Billie Jean jacket from This Is It was different from the one in the short film. In the music video he wore a black leather-ish jacket, but in the performances he was to wear a black sequin jacket.

SC video was 3D - the bullets would come out and the glass and everything - and then of course MJ too.

When you see the SC video you almost feel the glass and bullets come out in your face, then imagine it with 3D glasses.

And yes - I think he would wear exactly the same as in the SC video - which means full SC outfit.

The Billie Jean jacket from This Is It was different from the one in the short film. In the music video he wore a black leather-ish jacket, but in the performances he was to wear a black sequin jacket.

Meant 25th, HAHA

I think he would've worn the full thing - the stage performance is supposed to follow on from the film, so it would indeed look silly if he wasn't in full attire.

If I am correct when he jumps out of the window from the video, he appears on stage. So your correct there, it does follow from the film, and would rather silly, if he was wearing black trousers.

It's the anti gravity boots!

Michael-Jackson-O2-show-017.jpg

For some reason i never pictures the shoes looking like that.

I always love how he makes his quiet little neat way gaiting through those fallen/overcome gangsters as he exits the stage. ^

If I am correct when he jumps out of the window from the video, he appears on stage.

Maybe it's a bit off topic, but I never really understood how it would be possible that the real MJ could jump out from the screen on the stage.
Does anyone know how the procedure after the end of the Vignette would have been? The Vignette ends with Michael jumping out of the window and then Michael appears on stage...but how?

Last edited:
Maybe it's a bit off topic, but I never really understood how it would be possible that the real MJ could jump out from the screen on the stage.
Does anyone know how the procedure after the end of the Vignette would have been? The Vignette ends and Michael appears on stage...but how?

I reckon the film would end, a quick blackout and Michael would appears on stage?

I'd had benn really awesome to wathch him wearing the SC full outfit! :sigh:

Probably it's a bit out of topic but I prefer most of the costumes he wore during the rehearsals. The outfits I loved were the Billie Jean and Thiller ones, the other simmed to me heavy unpractical and it didn't reflect Michael's personality imo. It's hard to believe he was happy with all the clothes disigned by Zaldy but again, it's just my opinion.

Yes he was, I went to the MJ: Official Exhibition in the O2 last year and it was there with the shoes and full costume.

I think this was the Beat It jacket for THis Is It

It said in the descriptive notes that the Beat It jacket was made of Kevlar, to be fire resistant. I always wondered what they planned on stage........

^^^^^^ sorry Serious Effect, you got there first!

There is a photo somewhere of Michael and Kenny ortega... Michael is wearing the full outift and I'm sure the picture comes from the TII rehearsal.... but I'm damned if I can find that picture right now lol x

Also... wasn't there a door in that screen that Michael was able to walk in and out of??

Edit: The photo could have been taken during the recording of the short film sequence... I forgot that bit lol x

Last edited:
Back