So was MC Hammer Totally Going At Michael Jackson’s Neck On “2 Legit 2 Quit” ?

qbee

Proud Member

So MC Hammer Was Totally Going At Michael Jackson’s Neck On “2 Legit 2 Quit”
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/11/mc-hammer-michael-jackson-diss

By David D. on November 27, 2012

tumblr_m89h3rfi2w1qg2eqso1_500.jpg

So we all saw MC Hammer show Jay-Z whose career is really flourishing by taking the stage at the AMAs and reminding us that “2 Legit 2 Quit” is a thing that happened. This prompted me to tell my wife just how much the extended version of the video dominated my childhood. Since she couldn’t remember the video we watched again and Holy Sh*t MC Hammer (and to a lesser extent James Brown) Are Totally taking a dump on Michael Jackson!! Eleven !!

For those that don’t remember this, there was an extended version of “2 Legit 2 Quit” that aired on Fox after Cops or In Living Color or something and it featured Hammer visiting James Brown to get his power of funk. All I remembered was the late Mr. Brown hitting Hammer with all sorts of fireballs and hadoukens and it was totally awesome.

But there’s also another wrinkle to the video as Hammers talks to Brown about getting respect from someone that “may have thrilled others.” And right before Hammer takes off to start his song, The Godfather of Soul says “bring me back the glove.” Wait, Michael Jackson wears a glove. He’s talking about Michael Jackson!

And of course, the ending has an odd MJ “cameo” too. All of this was really bizarre and it blew my mind. And no I didn’t remember anything about this. If this was common knowledge then chalk it up to me being an idiot or some other insult you guys are good at coming up with. Anyway, here’s the video and below is an interview where Hammer explains a phone call he had with MJ about the video in question and the jabs.

2 Legit 2 quit video
[video=youtube;_UJaLq4YOo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_UJaLq4YOo0[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_UJaLq4YOo0

Michael Callls Hammer
[video=youtube;peKv0RzqftA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=peKv0RzqftA[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=peKv0RzqftA

Hammer said MJ allegedly was cool with it all. But, I don't know? I mean u clearly hear Hammer say to James Brown that one man refuses to give him the respect and propers he deserves! And he was talkin about MJ! Now from what I know with all the interviews MJ has given, he always gave James credit for inspiring him!? So I will never understand the beginning and the ending of Hammers 2 legit to quit video! Don't care if it was meant to be a joke either cause some fools will believe it. And judging by the nasty comments on hammers vid about MJ I know I'm right!

What Hammer and Prince and others don't realize is that when you make Michael your standard of comparison, you are saying Michael is the best. And James Brown confirmed it, because clearly, James respected Michael more than he respected all of them. And James is the one you want to listen to.

Awwww, all those people are/were like indians from old westerns. They all want Michael's scalp but none of them came close.

Btw, why that person wrote ending has an odd cameo from MJ? I saw nothing odd about it:scratch: or is it like they have to put bizarre/odd before Michael's name?

I am confused. Michael always gave respect to James Brown. If he is putting down Michael then I don't want to hear it.

All I can do is go by what the man said about the call he got from Michael, and the way he said the convo went, it didn't seem like a put down to me. :girl_impossible:

I agree Thats wasnt a put down IMO - This writer is being over dramtic. Trying to stir something up. In the video MC Hammer says the gloved one refuses to give him respect or something to that effect. He was going to get it. (by dancing and making a cool video) Then James Brown says bring me the Glove. (It was meant to be funny) it was a light hearted spoof. James brown loved Michael. I dont see anything mean spirited in that video. Just some friendly competition. He wanted Michael's attention and he got it .. The video was great. I remember when it came out and all the buzz around it. Of course the media is going to make it into something else. but it is what is Is ..

The reason the article said an odd cameo of Michael is becuase it wasnt Michael just the back of a Mj looking head and he was Giving the 2 legit 2 quit sign. :lol: I really cant see Michael being offended by it. They were still recognising him as the King. Even at the end when he gave his approval (well sort off) becuase he did a do slash motion with his hand at the very end. (Like no way) and he still had his Glove :)

I believe Michael would call him. Hey Hammer said he would have removed it if Michael was offended. That shows he has respect. Weather he would have I dont know But I dont think there was ever any ill will between them. Hammer was just being competitive .. and that is a good thing .. it brings out the best in artists... Even MJ said that.

Was there a reason why this was brought up in November 27 if it happened several years ago? Is it an anniversary of some Hammer song or something?

^ I have no clue? Except that recently Hammer was on the American Music Awards. He made a surprise appearance on stage with that "Gangnam Style" guy during his performance! lol

Lol! I watched those awards....well some of it but I saw Hammer. He still got it! Lol!
Which explains why he made that best dancers list.

Back