So I'm in France...

Wingfoot

Proud Member
Hey guys,
I'm currently abroad (in France) doing a course which ends this week, and then will be spending 3 weeks in Paris with some relatives... Just wanted some advice on what I could do during those 3 weeks to maximize my trip (I've done a lot so far and enjoyed myself, but I haven't been having a blast...maybe because I'm not here with friends from back home).
I used to live here when I was a kid, and I also visited the country a few years ago, so I have seen the main attractions (I probably will see them again), but what do you think would be the best way to immerse myself in the culture and meet people?
I will be staying with family during the trip, so I want to balance out hanging out with cousins and doing my own thing, because I want this trip to be a 'personal growth' event (lol), and try to do things that I normally wouldn't do. I've gone out of my comfort zone a bit during this trip, but I want to get out there and do more...

Salut!

I studied English Literature and French at University, and part of my course was to go abroad to a French-speaking country for at least 9 months. I spent that time in Lyon, France and had a great time, even though I knew no-one before I went out. Admittedly I made friends at the University, but a few things that I did to immerse myself in the culture were:

- Book tickets to a comedy club. It was good fun, allowed me to gain a better understanding of French humour ;) and gave me something to talk about. There was an opportunity to have a few drinks and chat with people at the end too, so we took the opportunity to have a drink with the owner and heard some interesting stories about life in France!

- Avoid touristy places! Non-touristy ones are less expensive and you can find some real gems. In Lyon some friends and found the Bec du Jazz, a little Jazz bar tucked away that was very popular with locals, although it was filled with smoke as they do lock-ins!

Thirdly, check out this site too if you haven't already!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...s-99080/Off_the_Beaten_Path-Paris-TG-C-1.html

The themed Paris Walking Tours are great fun -- my favorite was the "Chocolate Walking Tour" which allowed for samples along the way. Here's a link:www.paris-walks.com

Also, I'm guessing since you've lived in Paris you know about checking out a Farmer's Market on the weekend--one that my family loves is Rue Cler in the 7th arrondissement. It's located just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower, so you can buy your lunch and walk over to the park, or sit in one of the cafes and people-watch. Lots of young people are milling around the market (especially at night) and in the park during the daytime. I think there are also free movies in the park over the summer...

I envy you being in my favorite city--enjoy!

Back