Snoop Dogg Leads Johnny Cash Remix Disc

DuranDuran

Proud Member
July 11, 2008 , 5:00 PM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Billboard

Johnny Cash's music has been reinterpreted by a host of hip-hop and dance music acts for "Johnny Cash Remixed," due Oct. 14 via Compadre Records/Music World Music. Snoop's version of "I Walk the Line" features his QDT production team, which also includes Teddy Riley and DJ Quik.

The project was approved by Cash's son, John Carter Cash, who says his dad "would have loved this remix record. While it stays true to the original recordings, this CD touches on undiscovered ground. This is what my father was about: staying true to tradition while creating groundbreaking new music."

"If you take your time to listen to it, country music is very similar to rap," Snoop Dogg told Billboard last year. "Johnny Cash is the one who stood out to me. I love his style, his swag, the songs he made."

Elsewhere, the Alabama 3 tackles "Leave That Junk Alone," Pete Rock reworks "Folsom Prison Blues," Mocean Worker updates "Hey Porter" and Frank Sinatra remixer Philip Steir handles "Get Rhythm."

Other acts involved in the album include Sonny J, Kennedy, Mexican Industry Of Sound, the Heavy and Count de Money.

A documentary about the creation of "Remixed" is in production. The album will also be available in a deluxe vinyl edition on Sept. 23.

I wanna hear that Snoop Dogg joint. That should be interesting

apparently there's no multitrack recordings to remix from so it's just adding a beat over the original tunes :/

i think there's going to be a lot of chopping and eq'ing going on and focus on acoustic tunes with little-to-no drumming.

Mark Ronson (Amy Winehouse, Lilly Allen) is doing the same thing with Dylan's tunes

Ronson also produced the "Man In The Mirror" Rhymefest mixtape remixing Mike's stuff - mostly buidling on original recordings instead of using available acapellas. so it can work out fine in the right hands cos i liked that joint.

Could be pretty decent. I thought "My Medicine" was a pretty fun track off Snoop's most recent album.

the album leaked last month. the Snoop track is a mess, as are most of the rest.

but these stood out for me:

Belshazzar (Machine Drum Remix)

Port Of Lonely Hearts (Midnight Juggernauts Remix)

Folsom Prison Blues (Pete Rock Remix)

i was hoping for a better Pete Rock mix, but his genius just wasn't there that day.

Back