Smooth Criminal was nominated for best choreography?

litia

Proud Member
I've just watched the Moonwalker version on Youtube and someone there comments that it lost to Paula Abdul for best choreography. What award was that? And what's that song by Paula Abdul? I was shocked really :huh:

This is, by far, the best choregraphy of the 80's. I don't know why everyone in 1987 were against Mike.. !!

If thats true, Smooth Criminal definately should have won. Did they miss the lean?

Did they decide that anyone should get an award except Michael? I wonder which choreography of Paula Abdul that was. Please! I can't remember a better choreography than SC. Or was it one of Janet's? Yes, that could be.

For the first time in my life, even if I have not seen the opposing music video, I am still 100% certain that the result was bullshit. It doesn't matter if it's Paula or Janet or another video by MJ himself. SC's choreography destroys all. Normally, I would at least find out what the other candidates and winner were, just so I don't sound ignorant, but no. Smooth Criminal should have won.

Last edited:
Yeah it's MTV Music Awards 1989, he lost to Paula Abdul- "Straight Up" for Best Dance Video and Best Choreography. I'm sure it must have been the other sped-up version :yes::yes:

Last edited:
Yeah it's MTV Music Awards 1989, he lost to Paula Abdul- "Straight Up" for Best Dance Video and Best Choreography. I'm sure it must have been the other sped-up version :yes::yes:

The short version Smooth Criminal video with the really fast images doesn't really have any choreography. So why would that be nominated?

The short version Smooth Criminal video with the really fast images doesn't really have any choreography. So why would that be nominated?

:lol: :lol: I chose to believe that rather than SM Moonwalker version losing to that video by Paula :huh:. It's nice, but better choreography than SM?? :no:

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: I chose to believe that rather than SM Moonwalker version losing to that video by Paula :huh:. It's nice, but better choreography than SM?? :no:

No, Straight Up isn't better. Even Paula's Cold Hearted video is better than Straight Up. Maybe it won because Arsenio Hall was popular at the time. :p But Straight Up was #1 on the charts and Smooth Criminal made it to 7 or 8. I remember that period, as far as radio was concerned Straight Up was played way more than Smooth Criminal. Where I lived, after the 4th single Man In The Mirror, the rest of the singles weren't played that much on the radio. Another Part Of Me was played a bit on the R&B station though. Award shows are usually based on popularity.

Back