Smooth Criminal Video/Bad Tour?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
When was the Smooth Criminal video actually made, because it must have been made before the Bad Tour 88 leg as he wore the jacket and hat on stage as seen in the video?

But then wasn't MoonWalker (which feat.Smooth Criminal the video) released after the Bad Tour?

I think the video was released before the concert. Cause the choegraphy was also the same.

It must have been before the second leg as there were pictures from the set in Moonwalk.

Back in those days, quite a lot MJ's short films etc were shot way in advance of their actual release. For example, The video for Give In To Me was shot in Germany in June of '92 when Mike was there to launch the Dangerous Tour in Munich :yes:. However, It's actual premiere was broadcast on the Oprah Winfrey interview in February of '93...

Smooth Criminal was probably shot in January/February of '88. Mike at that time was developing/rehearsing for the second leg of the Bad Tour where Smooth Criminal first appeared on the set list at the very beginning of the U.S leg. He also at that time shot other videos like TWYMMF and Dirty Diana etc...

Frank Dileo says when everything goes down in the making of Moonwalker. Something about it being sure between the tours or something. Check it out.

^^ Well he was touring for half of that year. He was a busy man, especially then. Half of Moonwalker was filmed before first leg of tour, the the movie was finished, and then the 2nd leg.

the video was made way before the tour - there's a still on the last page of the hardback moonwalk book that had fans wondering "where is that from?" plus stills from the grounds of neverland with the kids from the movie. the tune with the costume and all that was played all thru the US leg and the europe leg before the video/movie came out at christmas 1988.

so at the time, us fans were like - that was cool - but we didn't know it was from the video until for sure until after we saw moonwalker.

sure. between the japan/australia leg and the 1st US leg (when it was first performed). which is what the first poster asked (the 88 leg)

Having contacts who worked on all of Moonwalker, I know work first began on it in 1986 - this would be Smooth Criminal and long before the other parts were being made. Aside from Chilvers, Kevin Pike was the first onboard (Special Effects Supervisor Smooth Criminal 1986).

Speed Demon - Michael filmed his live acting/dancing part before he did his American leg in '88. The animators spent the summer of '88 working round the clock on the animation - some of them are on-line friends of mine.

Leave Me Alone - also around the time of Speed Demon to get MJ's part out of the way because he was going to be in Europe. This one was filmed using the kind of film cell used for big movies, so it was a pain in the ass to put it onto a VHS cell - took three times longer than it should have.

According to Visual Documentary, the BAD video was filmed in July 1987.

Back