Smooth Criminal performance I might be doing

john13th

Proud Member
I don´t know what you think of this but I perhaps going to perform Smooth Criminal at my sisters wedding soon. On one hand it sound reckless, I am not known for a person who dances a lot, I am kind of a little shy guy and I would easily get nervous if I stand there in the middle in front of the guests. On the other hand Smooth Criminal is the song that has wanted me to dance and perform and I can´t imagine what a feeling it would be to fire up that song all out loud in front of the guests. I think most guests are familiar with Michael and that they all like that song, I think it is his best song ever not least his video. Not many people know that I perhaps going to perform Smooth Criminal. In fact no one knows at all what I am planning because I want to keep this quiet and secret and make it surprising as possible.

You are the first one I am telling this to and you are probably asking me "can he the whole choreography of the performance?". Well yeah, most of it. I have been practicing since March 2003 when I haven´t been busy with anything else and it all began with the HIStory Tour performance in Munich 1997 and then the rest of the HIStory Tour performance in the other countries. Then I got hold of the Dangerous Tour performances and at last the BAD Tour performances which I think it is his best. I have been practicing at home and at the school when no one was there and looking since it does have big areas :tease: .
The choreography that I use is a mixture from all of the Tours like Munich 1997, Mexico 1993 and Wembley 1988 which I have trying to mimic as good as possible. And the audio I plan to use is the Smooth Criminal performance in Rotterdam 1988 because the audio was in so good quality, there was a great bass sound and especially the guitars (the guitars from the HIStory Tour sounded different and was not good as the BAD Tour and the Dangerous tour). The only problem with that audio is the noise in the background but I managed to reduce it with the audio filter program Cool Edit :clapping:.

The problems I have now is the guts to do it, I haven´t showed to anyone how I dance to that song for a long time, how big floor I can get access to at the local of the wedding party and if I can get that damned white fedora hat someplace for God´s sake. I tried on eBay to find that hat but all I found was in "off white" and that was not white. It was more like beige color. And now recently I checked with a hat store that exists in this town I live and the lady there told to me that she didn´t have the hat in that color :mat:. Now I might have to check with other hat stores that exist in another town not far from here but I might get the same response from them too.

So I am wondering if you were watching me perform Smooth Criminal with in whole black outfit would you have problems with it? I have a black fedora hat and I will wear black jacket and pants during the wedding. This question might sound silly but it would be so much more cooler to wear a white hat and a white jacket to it.

And I can´t promise you if I will perform it or not. But meanwhile I can try to find a video camera, record my "dance rehearsal", send it and recieve feedback from you. The time is starting to run out.

John 13, where have you been all this time? Go for it. i thionk you may need some backup dancers theough, unless you can hold everybody's attention on your own. Let us know how you get on. Send us the video. Good luck.

Last edited:
I say definetly do it. I only recently learnt the smooth criminal dance routine from the video (moonwalker extended version) took me a while to get it all together, but I'd say if ur confident enough to perform it then 100% go for it

Last edited:
And The wardrob is Nothing to be concered about... As long as u have a fedora...a glove and the socks...ur good to go...

I had a stage fright...I've NEVER Danced infront of ANYONE IN MY LIFE!!! but last year, my senior year, i performed infront of 2000 ppl. and i felt soooo much better...it was Nerve racking as H*ll...but i got through it. so i think u should do it. U've been practicing since 2003. i only practiced 4 a year and I THINK U Should show them wachu got.

When ur dancing, pretaned as if u r the best dancer that they'll EVER SEE!!! lol...i know its silly but when u have confidence in what u do, then u'll be confident to show it off.

I think what ur doing is Great...upload the rehersal on Youtube then we'll give u a feed back.

ITS Gonna be AWSOME!!! I tell ya.

Good Luck!!!

I have the answer to your fedora question, xscapecp.com theyve got the white fedora down perfectly, they have the best michael Jackson stuff ever. Some of its pricey but for what you get its amazing, really amazing pieces of clothing. Try it!

do it do it do it !!

and be sure that someone tapes it for us to see ;)

Break a leg :D

Ok, I have checked with three hatstores in another town close by, they didn´t have it either in pure white only in panama style where you see those small holes in the hat :mat:. But I did get a hold of a video camera so I should manage to record my rehearsal....

Ok, I have checked with three hatstores in another town close by, they didn´t have it either in pure white only in panama style where you see those small holes in the hat :mat:. But I did get a hold of a video camera so I should manage to record my rehearsal....
Good for you.Good luck with it too.:clapping:

One more thing, how long does it take for me to receive those products that the page http://www.xscapecp.com/ sells? I would like to buy the white hat, the white jacket and the spats. I live in Sweden and that store is located in UK I think.

the fedora would take about a week or so as u live in Sweden, the spats about 2 weeks and Im not sure about just the jacket but if I were you I'd order it just over a month before if possible.

Alright, I have recorded my rehearsal and this was the first time I saw myself perform in front of the camera, even though I have also stand in front of the mirror and executed the moves. I saw the clip and while I thought some moves were smooth and quite similiar to Michael there are of course moves that I didn´t execute correctly which you might see in the clip. Like where I flex and shake my legs, I didn´t do leg kick high enough and the clip gives me the impression sometimes that I am slow, tired and careless. I wasn´t, I tried to put so much energy to the moves and I got sweaty of course afterwards. You can see and hear that I slam into the wall after the adlib, don´t worry I didn´t get hurt. And no, I didn´t fell on the floor at the last spin at the end of the song :p. This is just a rehearsal and hopefully I will be better when I am eventually perform this song at my sisters wedding.

The audio clip I use is from the Bad Tour concert in Rotterdam 1988. You will here a lot of stepsounds from me in that area and echoes.

So how do you prefer I upload this clip; Youtube, Megaupload, Yousendit, Rapidshare or Mediafiles? If you choose Youtube I won´t have the comments enabled because there are scumbags out there who wants to nag about Michael´s personal life and all the allegations against him. And I want to keep this discrete as possible because I am a guy who don´t want to be in the internet spotlight and don´t be written about me because of that clip. I rather share this clip on this forum only and nowhere else if you can respect that.

i'd prefer youtube but as u said without the comments enabled. ps what do u think about the delivery times i mentioned above?
Hmm, I don´t know the wedding is to be held on Saturday next week and I don´t think that I will receive the product before that date :(. It would require a miracle in order to let that happen. It is kind of comical and tragic at the same time that it has been so difficult to find the hat and even the jacket in pure white color. And I don´t dare that often to buy clothes and headgear on the net because I could receive the wrong size or in wrong color which happened in that case when I bought that off white hat. And even if you find the right products it could cost a fortune....anyway I have uploaded my rehearsal and I hope you like it and please give me some feedback.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntgHOnzqeU

You have to input the URL manually. I don´t know why it complains that the "video is no longer available". Press the button bottom right and you can copy the url this is inside the display screen.
EDIT: The clip does work now, I just didn´t enable embedding to external sites. All you just need to do now is to press the play button.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don´t know the wedding is to be held on Saturday next week and I don´t think that I will receive the product before that date :(. It would require a miracle in order to let that happen. It is kind of comical and tragic at the same time that it has been so difficult to find the hat and even the jacket in pure white color. And I don´t dare that often to buy clothes and headgear on the net because I could receive the wrong size or in wrong color which happened in that case when I bought that off white hat. And even if you find the right products it could cost a fortune....anyway I have uploaded my rehearsal and I hope you like it and please give me some feedback.:)

You have to input the URL manually. I don´t know why it complains that the "video is no longer available". Press the button bottom right and you can copy the url this is inside the display screen.
EDIT: The clip does work now, I just didn´t enable embedding to external sites. All you just need to do now is to press the play button.

That wasnt bad at all mate :)

Speaking as someone who has done some semi-profession impersonation myself, all I can say are the following. First of all your moves seemed a little heavy and clunky. I did notice however that you seemed to be wearing big trainers? If you get some better shoes with a flat, smooth underneath it will help you glide a lot more, and will make your movements a lot more fluid :yes:

Also, with regards ot the music, Although ti was very quiet in the video, the croud noises were really loud and obvious. If you were going to have this music loud at a performance, the croud noises would be too much. Maybe you should look into downloading a more professional live version with very little (or no) crowd noise? It just makes it look and sound that much better :yes:

Other than that, It was defiantly good for someone who is shy, and uploading their rehearsal. All I can say is keep practicing, and defiantly go for the performance. Don't let your nerves get to you:D

Hope that was informative? Good luck to you! :punk:

Yeah, that was correct, I was wearing trainers :yes:. I will buy loafers that looks like Michaels loafers. But I don't know how smooth the soles should be. Yesterday I found loafers in a shoe store where the soles where smooth but slippery when I walked with those on the carpet. But the shoe heels had rubber ripples which prevented the loafers to be too slippery but when I tried to moonwalk with those shoes on the hard surface it didn't went smooth but it was rather hard to do it. On the other hand the surface in that store wasn't even and smooth....:unsure: it is hard to know which shoes you are going to have. But those loafers were beautiful so far and I shall keep looking for other shoes.

I think that you need to put more energy into your performance but other than that you did a pretty good job

This is the next rehearsal I did which I recorded with the video camera. Now I have those loafers and I have changed some of the dance moves from the previous video :).

Last edited:
dont worry pal, I performed Smooth Criminal at the Year End Party of my company, and everyone asked for more.....:)). I was so happy and continued with BJ (most amazing - my boss said!!! ;))) and The Way You Make Me Feel....

Back