Smooth Criminal 25th Anniversary

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
It's 25 years to the day since MJ released this legendary song. I just wanted to mention it as I feel it is one of Michael's most criminally (pardon the pun) underrated songs. One for the vocals, two for music and three for the amazing story that is told. This is my favourite Michael Jackson song, for many reasons, including the short film, but mainly because it gets better with every listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Lgyiyg6dY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceU4ANZKdOM

I don't think it's underrated. It's one of MJ's most popular, most iconic songs. I think back when it was released it was kind of underrated as it peaked only at #7 and I still can't get how could MTV make Paula Abdul's Straight Up beat Smooth Criminal at the VMAs. So yeah, at the time it was kind of underrated, but I think over time it became one of those iconic songs and videos of Michael.

In no way is smooth criminal underrated, its one of his most icon songs and music videos, as Respect77 posted above. Maybe it's overlooked by critics and what not but then again almost all of his work after Bad is.. With that being said, Smooth Criminal is IMO Michaels best Music Video. If you just really, i mean really sit down, watch and study it you will see how convoluted and intricate it really is. I find myself sometimes choosing to watch the SC video over actual movies lol.

Great thread SmoothCriminal1995

Smooth Criminal is one of MJ's best songs and it's the greatest short film of all time in my opinion. Smooth Criminal is just cool. That's the only way i can describe it.

i have adored this song for a long time, michael's voice.. the way he expressed his art through this masterpiece was second to none. the passion he had whilst in the studio is something that can't be duplicated by any untrained ''artist'' of today. it's a masterpiece, fantastic.

Buenos Aires.

Bucharest.

Wembley.

Auckland.

Short Film :heart:

Genius.

Last edited:

That song was start of MJ in my life. This is pure masterpiece

It's so hard to tell which song is his best but Smooth Criminal is definitely up there! Everything about it is phenomenal

Back