Slash mentions Michael Jackson in a new interview

Interviewer : You were around the Michael Jackson world. What do you know about that world we did not know?

Slash: Michael I only knew him for the most part on the professional level. I don't even think when he attempted to be any closer than that, I'd even allow it cause it's too crazy. You know there's being famous and then there's being that kind of famous. That's a crazy world to be in because you have no sense of reality.

Interviewer: And you can see it from the outside?

Slash: I was close enough at that moment because Guns'n'Roses was probably the biggest stadium rock band at the time and then you have the Michael who is sort of the Elvis Presley of the period. and it's like "that's scary man". And he was just dealing with it. I felt for him because he as an artist one of the genius artist , most genius artist I have really been around perhaps next to Ray Charles and a couple other guys. And sort of stuck in this world when nobody is real. Nobody would talk to him in a real fashion. Everyone is sort of around him so they can gain something from him so on and so fort. It's a very lonely situation.

Everyone is sort of around him so they can gain something from him so on and so fort. It's a very lonely situation.

That was very true and still is even in death

i am bit confused. Is he saying Michael wanted to be friends but he kept it professional because of Michael's fame? Nobody would talk to him in a real way and that was lonely for Michael?

he's saying that they knew each other professionally.

then he mentions a hypothetical: saying even if he wanted to be friends he wouldn't want it because his level of fame was so crazy.

he goes on to say he's one of the most genius artist he's been around and how his level of fame made it hard for him and how he felt sorry for him.

Interviewer : You were around the Michael Jackson world. What do you know about that world we did not know?

Slash: Michael I only knew him for the most part on the professional level. I don't even think when he attempted to be any closer than that, I'd even allow it cause it's too crazy. You know there's being famous and then there's being that kind of famous. That's a crazy world to be in because you have no sense of reality.

Interviewer: And you can see it from the outside?

Slash: I was close enough at that moment because Guns'n'Roses was probably the biggest stadium rock band at the time and then you have the Michael who is sort of the Elvis Presley of the period. and it's like "that's scary man". And he was just dealing with it. I felt for him because he as an artist one of the genius artist , most genius artist I have really been around perhaps next to Ray Charles and a couple other guys. And sort of stuck in this world when nobody is real. Nobody would talk to him in a real fashion. Everyone is sort of around him so they can gain something from him so on and so fort. It's a very lonely situation.

Thanks Ivy the last paragraph points out how people associate themselves with him to get something out of him--very true.

Yes, that's what i understood too. Sad that Michael tried to be friends & Slash couldn't because of Michael's fame & the world he lived in. Too bad Slash didn't try to be Michael's friend.

Very true , honestly everyone and everybody love Michael and have memroies with him now after his death , you have to wonder where were they when he needed them more ??

Some people have no shame !

in the oprah interview in 93 or some interview, didnt michael say that both Slash and him both loved animals? It sounded like they did know each other at least a little more than just professionally

I admire Slash as a musician. Sometimes when he talks about Michael, I hear something off in what he says, but then I caution myself not to be an over-sensitive fan.

I think a lot of fans need to stop being over sensitive when it comes to interviews.

Makes me a little sad to think that people felt they couldn't be just a mate to Michael because of his fame. I like Slash and he and MJ always looked so comfortable together.

Makes me a little sad to think that people felt they couldn't be just a mate to Michael because of his fame. I like Slash and he and MJ always looked so comfortable together.

I feel the same way.

in the oprah interview in 93 or some interview, didnt michael say that both Slash and him both loved animals? It sounded like they did know each other at least a little more than just professionally

I think like when they would work with each other they probably spoke bout their love for animals n things like that

Back