Skin-whitening creams found in Jackson home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancemasterman

Proud Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36058738/ns/entertainment-celebrities/

Skin-whitening creams found in Jackson home

LOS ANGELES - Detectives found large quantities of general anesthetic and dozens of tubes of skin-whitening creams in Michael Jackson's home after the singer's death, search warrants unsealed Friday show.

Investigators went to Jackson's rented mansion June 29 following a lengthy interview with his personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, who told them he had placed a medical bag in a cupboard in a closet.

At the home, detectives found 11 containers of the powerful anesthetic propofol, some of them empty, as well as a range of sedatives and various medical items including a box of blood pressure cuffs, according to the warrants, which were redacted and unsealed after The Associated Press filed a legal motion.

Jackson's June 25 death at age 50 was ruled a homicide caused by an overdose of propofol and other sedatives. Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

During their search, detectives found 19 tubes of hydroquinone and 18 tubes of Benoquin, both of which are commonly used in the treatment of a skin condition Jackson had called vitiligo. The disease creates patches of de-pigmented skin, and creams can be used to lighten skin that has retained its color to give a more even appearance.

"Some people with vitiligo get to the point where there is so much of them that is pale, it makes more sense to remove the bits that are brown," said Dr. David Sawcer, assistant professor of clinical dermatology at the University of Southern California.

Interactive

Michael Jackson’s inner circle
The late singer had eight siblings, three children and two ex-wives, plus numerous doctors, advisers, and famous friends. Here's a look at who's who.

Benoquin is derived from hydroquinone. Though the creams can be used at the same time, it is unusual to do so, Sawcer said. The medications typically come in travel-toothpaste-sized tubes and each treatment usually lasts a few months. Side effects include acute sensitivity to the sun.

"In the places they have no pigment, they are exactly like an albino," Sawcer said.

The discovery of medical creams in Jackson's home dovetails with an odd remark Murray reportedly made soon after Jackson's death.

According to police statements obtained by the AP, Jackson's personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, told detectives that in the hospital where Jackson was pronounced dead, Murray told him he wanted to return to Jackson's house "so that he could pick up some cream that Mr. Jackson has so that the world wouldn't find out about it."

Alberto Alvarez, Jackson's logistics director, who was summoned to the stricken star's side as he was dying, told police Murray interrupted CPR on the pop star to collect drug vials. He gave the vials and an IV line with a milky substance resembling propofol to Alvarez, according to the statement Alvarez gave police, and told him to put them in bags that were similar in description to those later found in the closet.

The skin cream was not listed as a factor in Jackson's death nor was it detected in a toxicology report. What killed Jackson, according to the autopsy report, was an overdose of propofol, an anesthetic normally used for surgery. Murray told police he gave it to Jackson to help him sleep, a use anesthesiology experts have said is grossly improper.

Click for related content
Source: Doc halted Jackson’s CPR to hide drugs
Frail Dennis Hopper receives Hollywood star
Manager sues Axl Rose for nearly $2 million

Dr. Zeev Kain, anesthesiology department chair at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center, said he was surprised by the amount of propofol detectives found. Among the 11 containers police said they found were three 100ml vials, which Kain said could be used as general anesthesia for several hours.

"A doctor should not use propofol at home to start with," Kain said.

The warrants also show Murray shipped propofol and other medications to his girlfriend Nicole Alvarez's house in Santa Monica. It's unusual to send propofol to a private residence but not illegal.

Michael used the creams for his vitiligo. Normal treatment for the disease, what is the media's point again?

Exactly, HOW PATHETIC, it was part of his vitiligo... media are IGNORANT (or work as if they were) its CONFIRMED, (it was beforeyes i know) :puke:

They doing it to make michael look like a fool and them being "right" for once. They are so pathetic

So that media still on that level of being shady about his skin color again come on now every body knows mike had the skin disease can they find something new to talk about? Minni muffin cornballs

the point is that he used the creams for his vitiligo. That's what it says in the article.

The headline of the article says that creams were found in his home. Well, he had vitiligo and used the creams, so obviously he would have had some in his home. That is what some are finding redundant in an article - me included.

Well I'm glad they actually mentioned it was for vitiligo, but the headline is just a way to get attention...lol.

geez you guys sure do hate us Journalists. I'm not yet a journalist but I am on my way to being one.

The media claims he treats his vitiligo and you guys claim they are once again trying to claim he didn't have a skin condition. What's the point of that? They are saying the same thing you guys have been saying and you criticize them for it?

How come it's okay for MJJ community members to say he has a skin condition but when the media does it they are suddenly being pathetic and ignorant?

The headline of the article says that creams were found in his home. Well, he had vitiligo and used the creams, so obviously he would have had some in his home. That is what some are finding redundant in an article - me included.

MSNBC has already made it clear and covered the fact that the autopsy report presented at trial confirmed he had vitiligo.

It's not redundant. It's just that according to the religous views of most members here all journalists are slimeballs.

geez you guys sure do hate us Journalists. I'm not yet a journalist but I am on my way to being one.

The media claims he treats his vitiligo and you guys claim they are once again trying to claim he didn't have a skin condition. What's the point of that? They are saying the same thing you guys have been saying and you criticize them for it?

How come it's okay for MJJ community members to say he has a skin condition but when the media does it they are suddenly being pathetic and ignorant?

if you are a journalist, you know the code of speak. we are not stupid.

you know how many ways there are to say something?

that's code of speak.

if you are a journalist, you know the code of speak. we are not stupid.

I understand perfectly how media biased works. Almost nobody here does. I don't deny there was a media bias against him while alive. That was how they got ratings. That is what would sell. Since he died it's been the complete opposite. Sponsors aren't going to want to be attached to a news organization that slams a dead guy, let alone a dead guy loved as much as MJ.

It's just that even when the media actually is fair people still talk about it as if it weren't.

If they hadn't people wouldn't read the article.

And thats the problem, some people don't read past a headline and journalists know this so they try to get you with a sensational and often times misleading headline to suck you in. Thats how the game is played.

I understand perfectly how media biased works. Almost nobody here does. I don't deny there was a media bias against him while alive. That was how they got ratings. That is what would sell. Since he died it's been the complete opposite. Sponsors aren't going to want to be attached to a news organization that slams a dead guy, let alone a dead guy loved as much as MJ.

It's just that even when the media actually is fair people still talk about it as if it weren't.

the headline on this article says 'skin whitening cream'. it could have also said, 'skin evening cream', or, skin lightening cream. the most respectful of the three, is 'skin evening cream'. and they knew that. also, it was the biggest block lettered part of the headline. they know that most people, that they are aiming for, don't take the time to carefully read, but everybody reads the big block headline.

you'd like to think they care, but they don't. they know the most respectful way to write something. they simply make a choice.

MSNBC has already made it clear and covered the fact that the autopsy report presented at trial confirmed he had vitiligo.

It's not redundant. It's just that according to the religous views of most members here all journalists are slimeballs.

Good for you that you're becoming a journalist - it's not of my concern really. I don't have any religious views of Jackson and never have.

If you can't see that is a sensationalist headline to grab attention in order to create interest in a subject which is a non-issue, then that is fine. But it's obvious what kind of journalist you will be - no offence.

Credible news agencies would not lead with a headline such as that. If you think they would, then you are not going to work for a credible news agency until you change your perspective.

JMO of course. Just like you presumed I was a religious MJ fan because I thought the headline was, quite frankly, ridiculous.

"xx has asthma pump in his home" - he suffers from asthma (within article)
"xx has syringes in her bedroom" - she suffers from diabetes (within article)
"xx has hair replenishment treatment in her bathroom cabinet" - suffers from hair loss (within article)

Which of those three are relevant headlines? Answer? 0. How are they different to the above? No way.

If they hadn't people wouldn't read the article.

I think that is the point. They continually word things in a way to make MJ look bad in the long run. Many people are not aware of the autopsy report and they think he purposely whitened his skin and not because of some disease. When they put headlines like this and word articles that talk on in paragraph after paragraph about how he whitened his skin and put a small sentence in there about how he did have vitiligo (and some articles even stated supposedly- how misleading is this) where this line can be overlooked by someone skimming through the article, the motives have to be questioned. Very few are going to actually thoroughly read the article. Most are going to say he wanted to be white.

I actually had a discussion about this at work today. A bunch of guys there said MJ wanted to be white. I said he had vitiligo. They said "sure he did"! And when articles like this come up with that headline, people who need an excuse to say something will use it and run with it. They actually said, "Oh how is he the only person in the whole world to have a disease that turns him white"?

I told them ignorance is when you have no exposure to the truth and so a person makes generalizations based on their limited view. Stupidity is when you have ample resources and you just choose to ignore them and make observations based on your limited view. In todays age, with so much information readily available, there is no reason for a purportedly educated person to live in stupidity. And if you choose to live there, please do not make arguments with others and try to support your views with nonsensical jibberish that belie a limited education.

They said, "Did you just call me stupid"?

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Let us not pretend that the Huffington Post, yahoo news and all those other news sites covering this 'news' have not chosen the most salacious way to present it. As vncwilliam and ExoticPrincess pointed out - the headline could and SHOULD have been worded differently because it is proven that people seldom read beyond the headlines.

So many now feel even more confirmed in their minds that Michael 'bleached' his skin.

A more fitting headline would have 'Creams confirm treatment for Jackson's Vitiligo'.

In reading the comments that people have made at Huffington Post and yahoo, I am convinced that people will continue to wallow in their ignorance. And the media will continue to pander to it.

the headline on this article says 'skin whitening cream'. it could have also said, 'skin evening cream', or, skin lightening cream. the most respectful of the three, is 'skin evening cream'. and they knew that. also, it was the biggest block lettered part of the headline. they know that most people, that they are aiming for, don't take the time to carefully read, but everybody reads the big block headline.

you'd like to think they care, but they don't. they know the most respectful way to write something. they simply make a choice.

not much difference between skin whitening and skin lightening. and skin evening makes no sense at all and probably the least informative of the three options you presented. And yes they want people to click on the article and read it. If people don't than MSNBC doesn't make money.

Most people in the journalism industry do care very much so. They are very passionate about what they do. That's why they choose that field. Most are not wealthy and never will be, but they do the job anyways. If you doubt me just go to a local college and talk with people who are majoring in journalism and you will probably see that this is more important to them than anything else in the entire world.

Media bias exists, but it is nothing like the people here describe it. The way people here think it works would not be practical or competitive in our capitalist society.

Let us not pretend that the Huffington Post, yahoo news and all those other news sites covering this 'news' have not chosen the most salacious way to present it. As vncwilliam and ExoticPrincess pointed out - the headline could and SHOULD have been worded differently because it is proven that people seldom read beyond the headlines.

So many now feel even more confirmed in their minds that Michael 'bleached' his skin.

A more fitting headline would have 'Creams confirm treatment for Jackson's Vitiligo'.

In reading the comments that people have made at Huffington Post and yahoo, I am convinced that people will continue to wallow in their ignorance. And the media will continue to pander to it.

You hit the nail on the head!

And thats the problem, some people don't read past a headline and journalists know this so they try to get you with a sensational and often times misleading headline to suck you in. Thats how the game is played.

They do try to suck you into clicking on the article and reading it.

not much difference between skin whitening and skin lightening. and skin evening makes no sense at all and probably the least informative of the three options you presented. And yes they want people to click on the article and read it. If people don't than MSNBC doesn't make money.

Most people in the journalism industry do care very much so. They are very passionate about what they do. That's why they choose that field. Most are not wealthy and never will be, but they do the job anyways. If you doubt me just go to a local college and talk with people who are majoring in journalism and you will probably see that this is more important to them than anything else in the entire world.

Media bias exists, but it is nothing like the people here describe it. The way people here think it works would not be practical or competitive in our capitalist society.

skin evening cream makes plenty of sense since the writers know that the whole world pays attention to Michael, and his story. they know what that headline would mean.

and the biggest myth in society is that a person can't act noble and still make money. these people do lip service when they say they care, or they wouldn't be worried about the money to this extreme. there are plenty of upstanding people whose actions prove their claims, who still make plenty of money.

and i already stated what would be the most respectful of the headline examples i gave.

fine go for it guys. Have your little rant and have fun having something to hate. Next you guy's are going to claim that MJ was really still dark black at the end and the media just altered the photos to make him look white.

They do try to suck you into clicking on the article and reading it.

With so many believing he did not have vitiligo, I have a hard time believing an article title such as the one The Chosenone suggested, would not attrack many people to the headline as well. Those who believe he did not have it would want to read on to be surprised he did have it. And, those who believed he did have it will read for a confirmation. Why do you think this would not have worked as well. Since the topic of vitiligo itself when being used for MJ is a controversial topic?

fine go for it guys. Have your little rant and have fun having something to hate. Next you guy's are going to claim that MJ was really still dark black at the end and the media just altered the photos to make him look white.

aren't you going for the jugular, right there, as you claim we are? how about questioning those in the media who love having someone to hate? for the journalists, you use the word 'bias'. for us, you use the word 'hate'. that's interesting.

skin evening cream makes plenty of sense since the writers know that the whole world pays attention to Michael, and his story. they know what that headline would mean.

and the biggest myth in society is that a person can't act noble and still make money. these people do lip service when they say they care, or they wouldn't be worried about the money to this extreme. there are plenty of upstanding people whose actions prove their claims, who still make plenty of money.

and i already stated what would be the most respectful of the headline examples i gave.

as I said you don't understand how the bias works. The respectful choice is not always the one that brings ratings. I'm not saying it's right. I"m just saying that's how they choose what they choose. They don't care if it helps MJ or hurts him. People here often claim that the media's priority is to hurt MJ. Really they don't care either way.

Most in the journalism industry in private don't like to devote so much time to celebrities. They are more passionate about serious issues that affect the world. They only end up doing because they have to in order for their outlet to compete with the other outlets.

Behind every passionate journalist is a rich investor with a brief case calling the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back