Siedah Garrett goes to the Oscars for "Real in Rio"..Tributes Michael Jackson for Career..0223012

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
OSCAR BUZZ....

SiedahGarrett.jpg

Siedah Garrett on the Oscars and more..
Songwriter who collaborated with Michael Jackson is nominated for 'Real in Rio'
By // Miki Turner - Jet Magazine

Siedah Garrett 2012-02-23

Most folks are so caught up with the buzz surrounding the Oscar nominations of Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer that few have noticed that there is one other African-American female nominee — Siedah Garrett.

Perhaps best known for co-writing Man in the Mirror with the late Michael Jackson, Garrett earned a nod this year for Real in Rio, which is up for best original song from the animated feature Rio. This marks Garrett’s second nomination. She nabbed her first in 2006 for co-writing Love You I Do from the Dreamgirls soundtrack.

Given that she’s going up against one other person in the original song category, Garrett kind of likes her odds.

“Look, I figure I’ve got half a chance,” she said with a laugh while strolling down the red carpet at last Friday’s NAACP Image Awards. “It’s kind of weird that there are only two of us but I think something like this won’t ever happen again.”

There has been some scuttlebutt over Garrett and Bret McKenzie, who wrote Man or Muppet from The Muppets being the sole nominees this year. Mary J. Blige’s song — The Living Proof — from The Help got snubbed as well as Madonna’s Masterpiece from the feature she directed, W.E. And, if you’re not familiar with either of the nominated tunes you better buy the soundtrack because neither will be performed on Sunday night when the 84th Annual Academy Awards air at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Still, Garrett is over the moon that she’s been invited to the party.

“There’s only one other African-American woman who has ever won an Oscar for her lyrics,” Garrett said. “That was Irene Cara for Fame. I’m proud to represent her. I couldn’t be more excited!”

Last week Garrett had no idea of what she would wear or what she’d say if she actually won, but she does know what’s up the road. She’s in talks to score some music for Rio 2, and is planning an upcoming album that will include a tribute to Michael Jackson.

“I owe him that,” she said. “He jumpstarted my career. But more than that, he was a man who brought us all so much joy through his music.”

The Source:
http://www.myjet247.com/JETInsider/Buzz/Content.aspx?topic=Siedah_Garrett

MJ TinkerBell..GOOD LUCK SIEDAH...:clapping::dancin::clap::pray::heart::pray:

Last edited:
Re: Siedah Garrett goes to the Oscars for "Real in Rio"..Tributes Michael Jackson for Career..022301

I can't wait .. I respect Siedah , she's awesome ...

Re: Siedah Garrett goes to the Oscars for "Real in Rio"..Tributes Michael Jackson for Career..022301

Absolutely wonderful. I wish her luck.

MJ TinkerBell;3603694 said:
OSCAR BUZZ....

SiedahGarrett.jpg

Siedah Garrett on the Oscars and more..
Songwriter who collaborated with Michael Jackson is nominated for 'Real in Rio'
By // Miki Turner - Jet Magazine

Siedah Garrett 2012-02-23

Most folks are so caught up with the buzz surrounding the Oscar nominations of Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer that few have noticed that there is one other African-American female nominee — Siedah Garrett.

Perhaps best known for co-writing Man in the Mirror with the late Michael Jackson, Garrett earned a nod this year for Real in Rio, which is up for best original song from the animated feature Rio. This marks Garrett’s second nomination. She nabbed her first in 2006 for co-writing Love You I Do from the Dreamgirls soundtrack.

Given that she’s going up against one other person in the original song category, Garrett kind of likes her odds.

“Look, I figure I’ve got half a chance,” she said with a laugh while strolling down the red carpet at last Friday’s NAACP Image Awards. “It’s kind of weird that there are only two of us but I think something like this won’t ever happen again.”

There has been some scuttlebutt over Garrett and Bret McKenzie, who wrote Man or Muppet from The Muppets being the sole nominees this year. Mary J. Blige’s song — The Living Proof — from The Help got snubbed as well as Madonna’s Masterpiece from the feature she directed, W.E. And, if you’re not familiar with either of the nominated tunes you better buy the soundtrack because neither will be performed on Sunday night when the 84th Annual Academy Awards air at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Still, Garrett is over the moon that she’s been invited to the party.

“There’s only one other African-American woman who has ever won an Oscar for her lyrics,” Garrett said. “That was Irene Cara for Fame. I’m proud to represent her. I couldn’t be more excited!”

Last week Garrett had no idea of what she would wear or what she’d say if she actually won, but she does know what’s up the road. She’s in talks to score some music for Rio 2, and is planning an upcoming album that will include a tribute to Michael Jackson.

“I owe him that,” she said. “He jumpstarted my career. But more than that, he was a man who brought us all so much joy through his music.”

The Source:
http://www.myjet247.com/JETInsider/Buzz/Content.aspx?topic=Siedah_Garrett

MJ TinkerBell..GOOD LUCK SIEDAH...:clapping::dancin::clap::pray::heart::pray:

Yes I saw her in the audience when the camera panned. Did she win? I fell asleep.

Siedah didn't win unfortunately, but being nominated is a great honour in itself. How many musicians can actually add, Oscar Nominee to their credentials?

A video was posted by Brazilian member of this forum of her meeting with Siedah, and she seemed a super sweer person. I wish her much success in the future.

Love her, but I was rooting for the Muppets.

She didn't win, but I love the song. I was surprised when I found out she wrote it. I'm also a Muppets fan, so either song winning would have been fine for me. I wish they could have performed the songs though.

I know :unsure::no: I have been hearing alot of unhappy viewers this year surrounding this very song not being on the show , which should have been played in the broadcast which is appropriate since it was nominated and to find that a VIEWER favorite was disregarded is wrong..
:no:I agree with Sergio on this one..:pray:

The Oscar Controversy UPDATE :

476-QeqD1.St.74.jpg

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Sergio Mendes will attend the Academy Awards on Sunday, but will do so with mixed feelings.

He's honoured that his song "Real in Rio," from the animated movie "Rio," is one of the only two nominated this year, but upset with the show producers' decision not to present the tunes during the telecast.

"I am very frustrated, kind of sad that we will not be able to perform such a lively song," the 71-year-old Brazilian legend said in an interview Monday (Mendes shares the nomination with his countryman Carlinhos Brown and American singer-songwriter Siedah Garrett).

In some ways, it's reminiscent of what happened to another Latin star, Uruguayan Jorge Drexler, in 2005 when he was nominated in the category for "Al otro lado del rio," from "The Motorcycle Diaries." Instead of having the singer-songwriter perform his own song, the Academy decided to call on Antonio Banderas &#8212; who is Spanish &#8212; to sing it. Drexler, who was very hurt, ended up getting his way after he won: His acceptance speech was simply the first verse of his song, sang by himself.

The difference on this occasion is that Mendes is no stranger in Hollywood. The Grammy-winner, who is based in Los Angeles, boosted his fame in the United States in 1968 by singing Burt Bacharach and Hal David's Oscar-nominated "The Look of Love" at the Academy Awards ceremony.

Besides "Real in Rio," the other song nominated is Bret McKenzie's "Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets." It is also not included in the telecast, the Academy confirmed on Monday (Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, nevertheless, will appear as presenters).

The producers' decision not to showcase both songs has been criticized by some who think such performances would have injected great colour into a ceremony that last year saw its ratings drop 10 per cent.

oscar.jpg

In Mendes' opinion, "Real in Rio," which mirrors the awakening of the birds in a forest near Rio de Janeiro, would have been "perfect" for the show.

"(It's) such a lively song," Mendes, a first-time nominee, said. "You've seen the movie, you've heard the song, it's a perfect thing to do live but ... it's really up to the television producers. I was just hoping until, you know, till today, I'm still hoping. But I don't think it's gonna happen. Listen, you can't have everything. ... I'll be there anyway."

___

The Sources Online:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sergio-mendes-excited-oscars-saddened-songs-not-included-213354810.html

http://www.sergiomendesmusic.com

http://www.oscars.org/

CaptainEoLove85;3604135 said:
She didn't win, but I love the song. I was surprised when I found out she wrote it. I'm also a Muppets fan, so either song winning would have been fine for me. I wish they could have performed the songs though.

Last edited:
Back