Should they release Chicago as a duet?

donalb

Proud Member
The lackluster performance (and support from Sony) of APWNN has me wondering if they should release Chicago as a duet. These days, a LOT of artist release supplemental radio/digital versions of their songs with a featured artist such as Katy Perry, Jay-Z, Sam Smith, etc., If they decide to go with this option, two choices that could work well are Ludacris or T.I. Although I have mixed feelings about making this a duet, this could really help to give the song more recognition especially as Michael is no longer here.

FYI, I just saw a fan made video on YouTube using footage of You Rock My World. The dancing and scenes in that video really work well with the vibe of Chicago. The video has about 100K views so far with a lot of positive comments from fans about the song and/or video. Perhaps the Estate/Sony could do something similar to this?

Last edited:
Re: Should the release Chicago as a duet?

No more duets please. I want to hear Michael singing his own song and not some other singer.

I don't understand people's desire to make songs a duet. I'd rather just hear Michael and not have some other artist tacked on to make chart success.

I don't understand people's desire to make songs a duet. I'd rather just hear Michael and not have some other artist tacked on to make chart success.

I hear what you are saying, but collaborations are definitely a big trend in today's music. As fans, we already have the solo version of the song on the album and can listen to it as often as we like. If a duet encourages more people to buy the album, they will only get this solo version as well. We should also keep in mind that Michael did several collaborations during his lifetime so he was definitely not opposed to sharing the stage/spotlight with others.

In retrospect, I should have used the words featured artist in the title instead if "duet". In many ways, a featured artist helps to showcase the primary artist by giving the song more recognition. Two examples, are "California gurls" and "Stay with me". Although Snoop Dogg and Mary J Blige are featured in supplemental releases of these songs and helped contribute to their chart success, the main credit for these songs is clearly given to Katy Perry and Sam Smith in terms of how people view these songs. People see CG as a Katy Perry song and SWM as a Sam Smith song regardless of the featured artist. Moreover, despite its "duet" billing, people clearly view LNFSG as a "Michael Jackson" song even though Justin Timberlake helped it get radio airplay and chart success

Last edited:

No...I just like the song as it is.
The two controversies of his voice just makes this song beautiful

For Chicago I think duet partner or guest rap would not fit at all. But rap guest in Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Xscape and even Blue Gangsta would be great and fit perfectly (Jay-Z for example or 2Pac on Xscape). For duets with a female: A Place With No Name & Loving You. For duet with a male performer: Slave To The Rhythm. For Chicago - I think no duets or guests.

And remember these would be only remixes, released along with the album/single version.

If you are so desperate for a success, then the only way unfortunately is to get a Timberlake type and fake the duet. Such a shame but it's just an unfortunate truth it seems right now.

1 duet is fine, but having a duet over and over again is just a shallow desperate attempt to get a hit.

No chance, original Michael Jackson is what i go for.. 'Chicago' is stunning..

If Chicago is 3rd single I hope the album version will be used.

BUT that being said - I would not hate the idea of a duet version on the single. - As long as the solo version was used in the video and promoted as the single.

No more duets please. I want to hear Michael singing his own song and not some other singer.

THANK YOU! You beat me to the punch with this post and I agree 1 million percent. Everything doesn't have to be a duet or have screaming guitars in it, lol!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Love reading what you have to say regarding this issue

Please no more manufactured duets !
Michael is the biggest selling artist ever, he doesn't need anyone else to get him a number 1

The only duets I want to hear are any ones locked in the vault (including the Freddie Mercury duets)

Maybe it´s a trend for todays artists with duets but Michael isn´t here.
No duets, at least with songs with complete or almost complete vocals

Back