Should MJ have performed Smooth Criminal at the 1988 Grammy Awards ?

1nn5

Proud Member
Hey,

Do you think MJ should have choose to perform Smooth Criminal over The Way You Make Me Feel or/and Man in the mirror at the 1988 Grammy awards.

By that time, MJ had already rehearsed the song's performance for the second leg of the Bad tour. Performing it at the Grammy Awards could have been another great night in MJ's career, akin to Motown 25. Imagine the audience witnessing that iconic outfit and a potentially extended choreography featuring numerous dancers.

The music video hadn't been broadcast at that time, however MJ choose the attendances of his Bad tour concerts to -only - see the performance.

F3VDKInXIAAQcMr.jpg

Keep in mind that the Grammy Awards Ceremonies are celebratory events with a positive mood/vibe.

So, performing 'Smooth Criminal' (which is a dark song with a negative theme that revolves around bloodstained carpets, unconscious bodies and cardiopulmonary resuscitations) would certainly not have fitted the positive mood/vibe of the Grammy Awards Ceremony.

Keep in mind that the Grammy Awards Ceremonies are celebratory events with a positive mood/vibe.

So, performing 'Smooth Criminal' (which is a dark song with a negative theme that revolves around bloodstained carpets, unconscious bodies and cardiopulmonary resuscitations) would certainly not have fitted the positive mood/vibe of the Grammy Awards Ceremony.
My source is I made it the frick up

Yeah, if anything Another Part of Me would've ended up the current single. As much as I love that song that would've never been as iconic.

Short answer: no
Who decides the singles releases' date, the production company or the producer(s) ?
The song would not be released as a single till November 1988,
Because it was broadcasted as a part of Moonwalker, no ?

In music industry, it's unusual to perform a song in ceremony awards that doesn't have a single until 9-10 months after ?

MJ performed Dangerous at the AMA 1993 in January, and it doesn't even had a single release a that time or short time after.

image.png

Who decides the singles releases' date, the production company or the producer(s) ?

Because it was broadcasted as a part of Moonwalker, no ?

In music industry, it's unusual to perform a song in ceremony awards that doesn't have a single until 9-10 months after ?

MJ performed Dangerous at the AMA 1993 in January, and it doesn't even had a single release a that time or short time after.

image.png
It's wild that the only broadcasted remember the time performance happened a whole year later after it was released.

I absolutely LOVE the performance as it is. The Way You Make Me Feel, especially the jazzy beginning, was a superb choice.
If I imagine how SC could have been based on the Bad tour performance , I see it better than what he provided that night.. the only lack that there would have been be no Lean if he performed SC.

The songs that are going to be released as singles, the order of the singles, and the singles releases' date are a case by case scenario, meaning it depends on the individual circumstances of each album.

And this is also generally a team decision (artist, record company, and producers).

For example, they decided to release the 'Thriller' song as a single when they realized that the 'P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)' single failed in keeping the 'Thriller' album at the top of the Billboard 200 chart.

Just imagine Smooth Criminal performance, like what Madonna had done with Vogue in the MTV awards 1990.. btw the Vogue performance at the MTV was just after the Blond Ambition Tour.. MJ could have also performed Smooth Criminal in a 1989 ceremony awards, no ?

The video is so perfect I just don't believe any show could capture it. I'd rather just give the full video the "Thriller" rollout campaign.

The video is so perfect I just don't believe any show could capture it
well, if he performed it before the music video.. how people would have got to know its perfection !

Or even after, I'm sure Vincent Paterson would have done a great style for a ceremony performance.

Back