Should Michael Jackson Own His Own Record Company?

JesusLover05

Proud Member
Hey Guys,

I know that Michael Jackson is a brilliant man in the music world. I have one question though. Since Michael Jackson isn't signed to a major record label nowadays, has he ever considered of starting his own record company to put out his own albums and songs? If I was him, I would start my own record company to put out my own music. This way, he will have tthe freedom to write, compose, produce, and make as many songs that he wants too. If Hanson could do it, he can do it. What do you guys think? Should he have his own record company? Even if he did have his own record company, all he would have to find is a marketer, distributor, promoter, and new artists to be on his record company. He would really have to hire a lot of people especially if he wants it to be major. If it is an independent record company, that is a different situation. Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Kelly Hadjiconstantinou

Re: Michael Jackson To Own His Own Record Company!!!

i cudda swore he already had 1

more and more big acts are releasing music independently now with the added freedom that you mentioned, especially creative control.

i think these days, in the midst of the financial crisis, people look for a deeper level of artistic expression, free from the superficiality of marketed music. so in terms of the art that comes out unhindered by big labels, this would be perfect for an artist like MJ.

i think major labels are also hit even harder because of the current economy, and since they already can't make as much money on record sales they are signing acts into deals involved mainly with touring, merchandise and publishing. that's the main way these labels can survive today.

take Radiohead, for example, who've self-released their latest album as a digital-download only practically for free and they had a lot of success with it.

i cudda swore he already had 1
MJJ Music was an imprint label under Sony, which has long been defunct.

damn it people! sorry but you really need to learn how to make the thread titles clear!

You would think that he should and I dont understand why he doesnt either. He certainly would have the support of many artists wanted to be a part of his label so why not do it?

Maybe it would quicken the process of the whole "You aint seen nothing yet". Thats right Michael...we haven't seen anything from this highly talked about album lol.

I would guess it would be way too much work, mike also has a trust who oversees sony atv and running a label, paired with raising kids, and writing/recording an album would be way too much for any one person to handle

Would be nice.

Freedom to do what he wants. Creative control and promotionel control.

Would be nice.

dont really need an label of your own. as other artist have done you create yourself and just get a promo/distrubutioon deal. theres no way u can do it on your own

I was going to come in here and talk about Hanson's success but apparently you are already aware. It seems like many people do this now because, although more difficult, they reap the rewards with more money in their pocket and they have complete control over their music.

I don't know if it would be a smart move for Michael though. He has proven himself already and makes plenty of money. But the issues he would face is potential loss of money because he only releases an album every 5-10 years depending on circumstances. Plus he has decided not to tour as often which results in a lot of revenue to continue the record label. I don't see the point of making a record label if he only made 2-3 more albums in his life time.

What would be good is to actually delve deeper into his dreams of making films and actually pursue the other forms of media he has wanted to for quite some time. This way instead of making just a record company he could create another production company that not only creates and releases his albums, but also gets his films and other projects made. In the end he is a smart business man, so I sure he will make a good decision whatever that may be…

By the way are you a Hanson fan?

dont really need an label of your own. as other artist have done you create yourself and just get a promo/distrubutioon deal. theres no way u can do it on your own
That is basically the essence of matter, to put it short. Michael has much move freedom and effectiveness not having a bloat of staff which would only work for his (or even other acts') music, that would be horrible from financial point of view.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to be a fan of Hanson. MJ owning a record company might be a lot of work for him, now that I think about it.

don't know if anyone remembers Jon B, but he self-released a new album yesterday and this is what he had to say:

Independent is the game right now. Independent is the business. Especially for someone like myself that's self-contained that writes and produces their own material and sings - why not go independent? It's all about putting together the right team and finding distribution. It might take a little more time and require a little more work but it's the best way to learn the business. I've been in the game 15 years and this is a beautiful thing and a beautiful time for me.

http://blogs.sohh.com/soul/2008/10/soul_rebel_interviews_helpless.html

I don't think it's a good idea for Michael to own his own record company. The music industry is changing. The artists are getting control back over their music with internet downloads that they can self release themselves. The record companies aren't happy, but it's really their fault; they oversaturated the charts with untalented artists who just had a pretty face, and now that music buyers aren't happy with the products they're selling anymore, it's come back to bite them in the a**. Record companies aren't really marketing new music anymore, it's the artist and independent releases.

I personally think it's a really exciting time for music. We get to hear things that normally would take years to release (Nine Inch Nails in the past have put out a new studio album every 5 years, and we just got three brand new studio albums in less than two years. Pretty good for independent music ;) ), and the musicians have complete control over how they want their music to sound. We need another Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince...not another untalented pretty face.

Last edited:
Why used to be? Hanson is better than ever…

is hanson still going...? * with a confused look on my face*

Back