Shanghai to build a theme park modelled on Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch

ClassX

Proud Member
BEIJING — China is reportedly planning to build its own version of Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch on an island near Shanghai.

The Shanghai Morning Post says the first phase of the project on Chongming Island will be completed within a year and will cover 667,000 square metres.

Named after the home of Peter Pan, Neverland Ranch was Jackson's whimsical retreat - replete with carnival rides, a coterie of animals, two trains and a Disney-like station.

The total cost of China's version is expected to be around 100 million yuan (US$14.6 million).

Citing Qiu Xuefan, vice director of the Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce, The Shanghai Morning Post said the tribute to Jackson, who died June 25, will include a man-made lake, cinema and a zoo.

Jackson memorabilia - bought by auction and other "private channels" - will be on display.

Neverland was valued at $33 million in 2006, according to an accounting firm's report from 2007.

Chongming Island is in the Yangtze river to the north of Shanghai

And this is just the beginning, yall. We are gonna see numerous tributes to this man for years and years to come. He will never be forgotten.

but I didn't want these tributes, I wanted Michael...
icon9.gif

Not sure about this.
Knowing the Chinese, having lived there, these kind of plans come and go.

Not sure about this.
If Shanghai does stick with this idea, we'll see it soon. Chinese workers do their stuff super fast.
Wonderful way to tribute MJ - him getting his own public theme park. Wouldn't he have loved that? :)

This gives me another reason to want to go to Shanghai. :)

This is cool. If we lose Neverland here in the US, at least we'll have a replica over in China to visit.

And this is just the beginning, yall. We are gonna see numerous tributes to this man for years and years to come. He will never be forgotten.

Not sure about this.

Lets hope this ones to stay

That sums up what I wanted to say + I'm really excited to see if Germany will pull together something, Michael loved Germany... and Germany loved Michael.

Here in Sweden I don't expect nothing, this country lack or culture and appreciation.
As soon as we wanna pull something out of appreciation, love or happiness everybody just starts to questioning it.

They are about to pull up a ferris wheel close to the harbour in the city where I live and it's just non stop negativity.

Wow, if it's made well (non tacky), I would be really interesting to see. It's not the same though as Michaels' home.

BEIJING — China is reportedly planning to build its own version of Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch on an island near Shanghai.

The Shanghai Morning Post says the first phase of the project on Chongming Island will be completed within a year and will cover 667,000 square metres.

Named after the home of Peter Pan, Neverland Ranch was Jackson's whimsical retreat - replete with carnival rides, a coterie of animals, two trains and a Disney-like station.

The total cost of China's version is expected to be around 100 million yuan (US$14.6 million).

Citing Qiu Xuefan, vice director of the Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce, The Shanghai Morning Post said the tribute to Jackson, who died June 25, will include a man-made lake, cinema and a zoo.

Jackson memorabilia - bought by auction and other "private channels" - will be on display.

Neverland was valued at $33 million in 2006, according to an accounting firm's report from 2007.

Chongming Island is in the Yangtze river to the north of Shanghai

I can think of no better tribute to him than that China with its long cultural history would consider such a project. It's particularly significant because when Michael started out the government of China under Chairman Mao would have described his music as "decadent".

California better wake up or it will discover that the King who once called the state home will be celebrated in other places instead. The state can take Neverland for a state park. Cost would not be a problem in spite of the state's budget problem, because the state could finance the purchase by issuing bonds that I'm sure would purchased quickly. Such bonds might easily become an ultimate form of Michael Jackson memorabilia.

Last edited:
I'm posting the following on my blogs and thought it should be posted here to.

China has taken jobs and even the Hummer from the United States. Tom Qian of Shanghai Daily reports that Qiu Xuefan, vice director of Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce, has announced plans to construct a smaller version of Neverland at Xianghua Town of Chongming County, which is about an hour drive from downtown Shanghai. The project which will cover 667,000 square meters is expected to cost 100 million yuan (US$14.6 million) and be completed in a year.
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=406784&type=Metro

Meanwhile Gerald Posner of the Daily Beast reports that a senior executive of Colony Capital which controls the original Neverland states that it will not be used as a Michael Jackson museum.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-07-04/-the-next-graceland-no-chance-/

No wonder China is growing economically while the U.S. is declining. Chinese business leaders recognize opportunities that Americans do not.

Michael Jackson may or may not have been the "greatest entertainer of all time" as his supporters claim, but he continues to be very popular. His fans are at least as dedicated to him as Elvis Presley's fans are to him. Elvis Presley's home Graceland continues to attract his fans 32 years after his death. Paul Simon even wrote a popular song about Graceland.

Opening a museum to Michael Jackson isn't about Jackson, it's about his fans. They deserve a place they can go to feel close to him and remember him.

Those who aren't sentimental or dislike Jackson should consider the economics. A Michael Jackson memorial would create jobs. People would work at the site. Others would provide services to those going to and from the site. Visitors from other states and countries would want lodgings and meals.

The Chinese recognize the potential value of a Neverland. Why should Michael's fans have to travel to China to visit his memorial when we have the original?

If Colony Capital cannot recognize the value of Neverland, perhaps the citizens of California could pass a referendum to preserve the site and even make it a state park. The referendum could authorize issuing bonds to finance purchase of the site by the state of California. The bonds would be repaid through admission fees, memorabilia sales, etc. The bonds might be so popular they would become a collector's item themselves.

California legislators who want Michael's fans to vote for them might want to go ahead and authorize the project without waiting for a referendum. Any excess fees from "Michael Jackson State Park" could be used to fund other state park activities. Then there are the tax revenues that tourism would generate. Perhaps Congress could provide funds to upgrade roads to the site.

American music companies have often accused China of pirating American CD's etc. Will American apathy allow China to pirate Neverland too? I see no harm in China providing a duplicate for Michael's Asian fans who cannot afford to come to the United States. Americans shouldn't have to travel to China to visit Neverland.

China's Neverland won't be ready for a year. The original already exists and could be opened at any time.

well...i'm in shanghai now. so it will be great even though i want the real neverland and yes i prefer not to have this kind of tribute because Michael is no longer in this world...why dont they make it when he is alive?
sad....

i miss Michael...

^ I agree a 10000%. still, its a good sign that he was loved all over the world, now he's dead or not. ''You don't know what you've got until you lose it'' ..

Someone posted that Chinese business leaders recognise good business ventures, when American ones don't.
We ought to remember that it was western capital that has made China so rich!
Lol.

Back