Setting of You Rock My World

J5master

Proud Member
Random question - but what would you guys say the setting of this video is? Time? Place?

I can't put my finger on it!

Also further discussion and appreciation of this video is welcome cuz I don't wanna waste a thread on my goofy question LOL!

I would say It was set in the present day. (then 2001) with a gangster/mob/ mafia theme. It's storyline has always sort of reminded me of the 1954 film *On the Waterfront,*
on-the-waterfront-1954-1696l.jpg
On-the-Waterfront-1954-USA-Movie-Poster-Starring-Marlon-Brando2.jpg

Anyone else?

CUBA!

thats where it was set. Just stumbled on an interview of MJ talking about it and for some odd reason I couldn't place WHERE it was.

Hot summer night in Cuba, present day.

I gotta say, I really love the YRMW video and think it is very underrated by a lot of fans. Granted, MJ didn't exactly look his best during this time, but there are so many cool little nuances in this video, like the hunched back Fred Astaire move, the glide behind the curtain, Chis Tuckers cool little references to old MJ songs, the choreography at the end....

MJ still had it, despite what the haters said.

I love this video :) My favorite part is him struting down the stairs, soo sexy!

^^ I wouldn't be surprised if he did at least a little lol

Yeah I love the video. Its a very smart 'tip of the hat' to all of MJ's other videos, it was quite obviously done on purpose. And it was very entertaining. I always laugh at the beginning dialogue. "I'm not paying for it, you wanted to come here, not me. You wanted to come here." LOL And Chris and Mike's collective "ooooooooo"s at the girl lol They're so funny.

^^ I wouldn't be surprised if he did at least a little lol

Yeah I love the video. Its a very smart 'tip of the hat' to all of MJ's other videos, it was quite obviously done on purpose. And it was very entertaining. I always laugh at the beginning dialogue. "I'm not paying for it, you wanted to come here, not me. You wanted to come here." LOL And Chris and Mike's collective "ooooooooo"s at the girl lol They're so funny.

LOL. I love that part too.

CUBA!

thats where it was set. Just stumbled on an interview of MJ talking about it and for some odd reason I couldn't place WHERE it was.

Hot summer night in Cuba, present day.
Definitely hot summer night in Cuba, but did Michael say present day? I just always assumed it was the 40's-maybe because of the fedoras!

He didn't say present day but the clothing was very current (check out the extras). Even the suits were a little bit more modern than 1940's.

Yeah I would say it was inspired by the old school movies, Marlon Brando style as wendijane said. I think it was partly inspired by the Rush Hour series too haha.

You know, I watched YRMW just recently and I only just noticed that Michael slaps the woman's butt in the beginning of the video. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I sort of found that a bit degrading. Michael was always about respecting women and treating them right, I wonder why he chose to include that little move.

Aw it wasn't degrading in this context. Technically in that case the whole concept of the video, including TWYMMF (which is pretty much what YRMW was) was degrading since you got a guy running around stalking this girl and making sexual passes at her and they never even met! LOL But its just a music video, and in both instances - the girls are clearly playing around just as much as MJ.

I gotta say, I really love the YRMW video and think it is very underrated by a lot of fans. Granted, MJ didn't exactly look his best during this time, but there are so many cool little nuances in this video, like the hunched back Fred Astaire move, the glide behind the curtain, Chis Tuckers cool little references to old MJ songs, the choreography at the end....

MJ still had it, despite what the haters said.

That's one of my favourite MJ moves (I prefer his version of the move). I also love the very brief part during the which he starts walking on the counter. The way he places his feet to start dancing.

It was cool to see him kick ass. Especially that "get the car Chris" knee lol. For a looooong time, I had no idea Miko Brando was in this video lol. Has any actor/dancer involved talked about what it was like to work with MJ for this video ? Except for Chris of course.

Honestly YRMW is my least favorite of all his big production short films... I felt it was too similar to both SC and TWYMMF... And the dancing wasn't what I had hoped for..it was too repetitive and it almost felt like he was impersonating himself, to say the least..

And that's all I'll say about that...

Honestly YRMW is my least favorite of all his big production short films... I felt it was too similar to both SC and TWYMMF... And the dancing wasn't what I had hoped for..it was too repetitive and it almost felt like he was impersonating himself, to say the least..

I think that was exactly the point of the video. I think tucker's dialogue sets it up really well to be almost a parody of all of MJ's previous other videos. :yes:

I once read in a magazine that MJ was forced to do a short film within 24 hours. Based on that info I think he pretty much nailed it.

That said, I also felt that he was impersonating himself. Read that he preferred making a very long short film for Unbreakable with celebrity Mel Gibson. Sony didn't allow it to shoot it.

Sony was not pro Michael Jackson at that time. Such a shame.

Back