Sept 10, 2008

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Michael Jackosn Mentionings:

http://www.manchesterconfidential.c...wB6IA&realname=Stevie_Wonder_at_the_MEN_Arena

Another of Wonder’s past duetting partners, Michael Jackson, once provided backing vocals on the delectable 'All I Do (is think about you)' which Wonder delivered a knock-out version of. One of the backing singers given responsibility for covering Jackson’s parts was his daughter Aisha Morris – the subject matter of the baby celebratory 'Isn’t She Lovely?'. Morris later sang a solo accompanied by her father. We all agreed that she was indeed bloody lovely.

http://www.timesleader.com/entertainment/Idols_but_not_originals_review_09-10-2008.html

Cook then got the only solo encore of the night as he did a slower and harder version of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” before he was joined by the rest of the cast for the closing number.

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?title=Will%20Mumbai%20Police%20arrest%20this%20Hindu%20terrorist?&articleID=140957

Raj used the Sena influence and organised many concerts to generate funds. Many famous and legendary stars like Michael Jackson and others performed in Mumbai. All the proceeds were pocketed by him. Known for his strongarm tactics, he allegedly bullied builders and extracted millions of dollars from them forcibly. Otherwise, how can a person who was brought up by a relative, amass so much wealth that he was able to bid for a property worth more than $ 100 million and eventually bought that too. His criminal and anti-national activities were ignored because mainstream political parties thought to use him against his uncle and ignored his criminal activities. The plan failed and this ordinary person gradually became a terror for peace loving people of Mumbai.

http://www.chicagodefender.com/article-1849-award-winning-ballad.html

The multi-talented Academy Award-nominated singer, songwriter, performer, producer, arranger and composer inspired and touched millions of listeners worldwide while working with such legendary artists as Quincey Jones and Michael McDonald. Ingram’s talents as a songwriter were recognized by some of the most celebrated artists, including Michael Jackson who called on Ingram for Jackson’s hit tune P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing), on the Thriller album which sold more than 50 million.

Michael Jackson HIStory:
2001 - Michael Jackson performed a second special concert to celebrate his 30 years as a solo artist. He played a first show on September 7th.

Last edited:
Jackson should be recognized for revolutionizing pop musicJackson should be recognized for revolutionizing pop music

Katherine Heriges - Art and Entertainment Editor
Monday, September 08, 2008 issue
Click here to print

He’s much maligned. He gets no respect. He is admittedly a little crazy. And this past week, he turned 50. Michael Jackson deserves far more respect than people give him.

When I mention interest in (well, borderline obsession with) the Jackson family in conversation, college students usually respond the only way they know how — with a Michael joke. For those born in the late ’80s and early ’90s, Michael’s popularity was dying off as they were children and leading into years dominated by controversy and problems. His relevance is questioned by many who look back on his pop career and wonder why he never demonstrated the prowess with instruments that his contemporary, Prince, did, or why he made his odd habits publicly known (befriending rats, etc.).
Perhaps there are points to be made there. However, his title as the King of Pop should never be disputed, nor should his place in music history. Michael Jackson is not just a personality or a celebrity; he produced some of the most lasting music in pop history and should be remembered as such. No one has had a life like his, from childhood traumas to global success to shameful criminal investigations.

Michael’s first gig was in his family group, the Jackson 5, with brothers Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon. Family groups were really en vogue in the early 70s, with groups like the Osmonds and the Partridge Family playing very well to teens on television. The Jackson 5 were among these groups. However, Jackson songs like “ABC” and “I’ll Be There” are still played on iPods all over America, while “Yo-Yo” is forgotten to all who didn’t live to throw their underwear at Donny Osmond. The thing that set the Jacksons apart from the rest was that they had Michael. He was incredibly talented and could even outsing Motown superstar, Diana Ross.

When he set out on his solo career, he adapted to the times. “Off the Wall,” his first solo record with Epic, had a disco feel that was appropriate for the time, but set a musical precedent that he would follow for the rest of the ’80s. He released the best-selling album of all time, “Thriller,” in 1982, which performed so well because of the incredible string of successful singles on the record and because of his now-legendary performance on the Motown 25 television special where he premiered the moonwalk dance. During his Epic years, he worked with Quincy Jones, a producer even Pharrell Williams is jealous of. He’s had thirteen number one singles and has been inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice.

So why is he so hated now? The controversy is understandable. However, those who hate him because of the bandwagon opinion are not thinking clearly. He changed pop music. No pop artist will ever have a life-spanning career that is so varied and fascinating. As his career progressed, he successfully changed with the times to fit the music at the time and his own personal style. No one can say his odd physical transformation changed his musical ability — the “Bad” and “Dangerous” records were both tremendously popular and pleasing to the ears, despite the fact that they featured strikingly pale images of the singer on their covers.

Today, he should be able to be celebrated and let his career rest in peace, but instead his numerous detractors do not allow him to live the quiet life. He’s followed by litigation and bad press. He’s made fun of regularly, though thousands of those who make jokes about him own “Thriller” or at least have “Billie Jean” on their iPods. He’s an oddball, for sure, but he’s a living music legend and should be respected as such.

Happy 50th, Michael. Stay strong.http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/showarticle.php?articleid=53660

Thanks for the article post 5! Good one! But whats wrong with "befriending rats" ? I know they are marvelous pets and very clever! I totally love them...

Yeah and And King of Pop enters @ #1 in Austria :wild: (thanks to MJDangerous @ Ukmix board), while Thriller and Dangerous never made it to #1 there :eek:
BTW, in Australia, it turned out that KOP was released on Friday, while they only count sales from Saturday, so all the sales on Friday was discounted. Yet it still entered Australian chart @ #5. If all sales were counted, who know we could have got another #1 for KOP. :D
Really Michael never ceases to amaze me, this is, what, like a trillionth GH from him :lol: :lol:

Thanks to lostprophet @ Ukmix:
Michael Jackson's new "King of Pop" retrospective (Epic/Sony BMG) takes a second-week climb of 15-6, fuelled by debuts of No. 1 in Austria and No. 4 in Holland. It's also up 5-3 in the United Kingdom (where sales of 22,000 give it a running total of 48,000), 11-4 in the Belgian region of Flanders and 19-6 in Germany.

It's doing so well :D

Thanks for the news and it is good news about the sales of the KOP album :).

Re: Sept 10, 2008 - Sept 11, 2008

'Twist' is most popular song of Billboard era

CNN.com - 9/11/08

NEW YORK (AP) -- How's this for a twist: Of all the No. 1 songs in the 50 years of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, Chubby Checker's "The Twist" ranks as the most popular single.

Elvis and the Beatles didn't even make the top five.
Checker's ranking may come as a surprise to some, but not to the classic rocker.
"I'm glad they've finally recognized it," said Checker of his early 1960s hit.
He compared "The Twist" -- named by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum as one of the 500 songs that shaped rock 'n' roll -- to the creation of the telephone as a groundbreaking moment because he said it was the first time people were dancing "apart to the beat."

"Anyplace on the planet, when someone has a song that has a beat, they're on the floor dancing apart to the beat, and before Chubby Checker, it wasn't here, and I think that has a lot to do with me being on the charts," he said.
Santana's "Smooth," featuring Rob Thomas, is the No. 2 most popular, followed by Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife," Leann Rimes' "How Do I Live" and "The Macarena" by Los Del Rio.

The Beatles did make the top 10, coming it at No. 8 with "Hey Jude." But Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" and Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life" are ahead of that hit. Rounding out the top 10: Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" at No. 9 and Toni Braxton's "Un-break My Heart" at No. 10.

Geoff Mayfield, director of charts at Billboard magazine, acknowledged that the list might not jibe with some fans' personal thoughts of the most popular songs of the past 50 years.

"This is simply a chronicle of how each of these songs performed in their era on the Hot 100. We're not saying these are the most memorable songs of your life. That would be something that's almost impossible to determine," said Mayfield. "Everyone has a subjective frame of reference."

The Beatles do top Billboard's all-time Hot 100 artists, followed by Madonna, Elton John, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and the Rolling Stones.

Billboard.com is breaking out some of the other chart achievements (the list of most No. 1 singles by an act is topped by the Beatles) on its Web site.
The Billboard Hot 100 chart measures airplay and sales information (and more recently digital downloads) in determining the nation's most popular songs. To determine the most popular song of the Hot 100 era, Billboard used a formula to determine the top song -- not always relying on weeks at No. 1 since the data was reported differently in its early days.

Initially, Billboard relied on stations to report the most popular songs, and got sales surveys from record stores. But Mayfield said stations often stopped reporting on a song's popularity if it was no longer a priority for record labels. And in 1991, Billboard began relying on sales data from Nielsen SoundScan and airplay data from Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems. So Billboard weighted certain songs from different eras to make sure all songs were on an even playing field.

"We went through each era, and we looked through the rate of turnover. The rate of turnover was very high in the late '50s and early '60s, and we had to put a weight on that to make the chart runs of that era equal to the chart runs that can be accomplished since 1991," he said.

Checker's "The Twist" spent a total of only three weeks at the top of the charts, but did so twice in two separate runs more than a year apart.
"It's the only song that was ever No. 1 in two different chart runs," he said.
Checker said he was gratified that Billboard noted the popularity of "The Twist," and lamented that both the song and his career have been at times overlooked.
"My music is less played that any performer that has been a No. 1 chart man on the planet," said Checker, who also had hits with "Pony Time," "The Fly" and "Let's Twist Again," which earned him a Grammy. "I don't get the respect that Rod Stewart gets, or the Rolling Stones, or Frankie Valli. ... But I have to deal with it."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/11/billboard.top.song.twist.ap/index.html

Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs

1. "The Twist," Chubby Checker
2. "Smooth," Santana featuring Rob Thomas
3. "Mack the Knife," Bobby Darin
4. "How Do I Live," Leann Rimes
5. "Macarena," Los Del Rio
6. "Physical," Olivia Newton-John
7. "You Light Up My Life," Debby Boone
8. "Hey Jude," The Beatles
9. "We Belong Together," Mariah Carey
10. "Un-break My Heart," Toni Braxton

Source: Billboard.com