Sean Penn, Jim Carrey and Benicio Del Toro are The Three Stooges

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Casting is finally being announced for the Farrelly BrothersThe Three Stooges, and the only real surprise is that Jim Carrey is in talks to play Curly. Carrey is planning to gain 40 pounds for the role so that he can more closely match the physical look of Jerome “Curly” Howard. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Benicio Del Toro is currently in talks to play Moe, but both of those names have been reported on the site previously. Even Jim Carrey had been rumored to be involved at some previous point of time. The movie is not a biopic, but a comedy that follows the antics of the trio. I’ve heard the script is split into four chapters and is kinda episodic, with the trio breaking up and going their own separate ways.​
I use to be such a huge fan of the Farrelly Brothers. I mean, these are the same guys who directed Dumb and Dumber, There’s Something About Mary and Kingpin. But they haven’t helmed a really good film in at least 8 years (Osmosis Jones, Shallow Hal, Stuck on You, Fever Pitch, The Heartbreak Kid). The fact that the film didn’t get off the ground at Warner Bros doesn’t exactly instill faith in the project. And honestly, a Three Stooges movie just sounds like a horrible idea, even with the level of talent attached.​
Discuss: What do you think of the casting choices for The Three Stooges?

oh great, let them mess this up. jim carrey? del torro? can he even be funny? sean penn is too serious for his own good aka d-bag alert. omg im so upset w/ the cast...chichi hold me!!!!

Aren't they too tall? The Stooges were all 5'3". And who's gonna be Shemp? This seems like a dumb idea, like The Flintstones movie, lol.

I thought the first Flintstones with John Goodman was great. Some things however, are better left in the past. Jim Carey is gaining tons of weight for the role. They probably should have just used Michael Chiklis as he already played a good Curly.

stoogestitlecard2010.jpg

i wouldn't count those actors out. they're very versatile. are they presenting this movie in black and white? i've seen stooges episodes on a cable channel. stuff is classic.

and i've seen 'the heartbreak kid'. i liked that movie.

Last edited:
I thought the first Flintstones with John Goodman was great. Some things however, are better left in the past. Jim Carey is gaining tons of weight for the role. They probably should have just used Michael Chiklis as he already played a good Curly.

Tons of weight? Curly wasn't that big, lol. Why doesn't he just wear a suit like Eddie Murphy? I still don't know what the point of this is. Anyway Mel Gibson already did the Stooges in Lethal Weapon. I don't know about the Jetsons. Speed Racer looked good at a theater on a large screen, but I not sure it works on a televison. Jim Carrey was going to do Gilligan's Island in the 90s. I'm glad that got cancelled. A lot of these things only work with the original actors. And Sean looks like he did in Carlito's Way, lol.

I reckon jim carrey would do great in this film

Tons of weight? Curly wasn't that big, lol. Why doesn't he just wear a suit like Eddie Murphy? I still don't know what the point of this is.

No, Curly wasn't that big, but his body shape looked quite a bit more hefty than Carey's slim figure. He's going to have to gain thirty pounds or more to really look convincing as Curly. I think I saw on Access Hollywood where they were talking about his dieting to gain the weight.

I guess the reason is it's going to be an actual comedy whereas Gibson did a biopic. Still a bad idea though, I agree.

There is very little untouched nowadays. I mean, they did a remake of The Honeymooners for crying out loud. I read they were doing an urban remake of Welcome Back Kotter with Ice Cube as a Mr. Kotter-like teacher (though that seems to have been scrapped, but never say never).

Some things are better left as memories.

Back