Scientists Closer To Invisibility Cloak

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people and objects invisible.Researchers have demonstrated for the first time they were able to cloak three-dimensional objects using artificially engineered materials that redirect light around the objects. Previously, they only have been able to cloak very thin two-dimensional objects.

The findings, by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, led by Xiang Zhang, are to be released later this week in the journals Nature and Science.

The new work moves scientists a step closer to hiding people and objects from visible light, which could have broad applications, including military ones.

People can see objects because they scatter the light that strikes them, reflecting some of it back to the eye.

Cloaking uses materials, known as metamaterials, to deflect radar, light or other waves around an object, like water flowing around a smooth rock in a stream.
Metamaterials are mixtures of metal and circuit board materials such as ceramic, Teflon or fiber composite. They are designed to bend visible light in a way that ordinary materials don't. Scientists are trying to use them to bend light around objects so they don't create reflections or shadows.

It differs from stealth technology, which does not make an aircraft invisible but reduces the cross-section available to radar, making it hard to track.
The research was funded in part by the U.S. Army Research Office and the National Science Foundation's Nano-Scale Science and Engineering Center.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

This is interesting. I don't understand how they would ever be able to make a human invisible but if they do, I bet we'll never be able to see it work. It will all be top-secret. :(

U could get away with anythin if you get to be invisible. I think this project should just be left well alone.

They should give Michael one to so he could go out in public and then save a lot of money on buying bodyguards.

Was anyone else thinking of Harry Potter while reading this? LOL :p

It's really amazing if they manage to do this.

OMG NO!! This should be illegal....criminals and the government can use it to invade people's privacy's....you'll be home without knowing if there is anyone else there...

It better not happen in the 21st century...when i can see it cause i don't wanna see that day!!

:unsure: Erm...

It's very cool in Harry Potter's world. But there you can also use magic to prevent the wrong use of it.

In the real world, I think it would be extremely dangerous!!
I don't think it's a good idea, anyway. Unless they call Dumbledore, then he would be able to solve everything. :D

this gives a whole new meaning to 'to boldy go where no one has gone before'...:-/.

I heard about this the other day. And what a surprise. The first people to show interest are the military. Like every cool invention, the first thing the military thinks is "how can we use this to better kill people?"

haha amazing..Harry Potter style lol :p Yeah I agree, MJ should use one of these :)

I agree the Military would probably be among the first to use such technology. I don't even wanna imagine what the consequences would be....

Either way, IF they manage to pull this off, I doubt such a cloak would be available for anyone to buy ;) And I'm not only referring to a scandalous price, but also to the fact that it would cause a lot of chaos in the world (as if there weren't enough of it :rolleyes: ) I'm pretty sure it would stay in the military/science field.

It's a bit early to worry though, they may be close, but close could also mean 30 years or more in the future ;) By then, MANY things will have changed.

Oh, and I thought of Harry Potter as well :lol:

Science should just stick it's nose outta some things!

The world is already f%!ked up..we don't need more murders, lies and mysteries!

Last edited:
Back