Scholar thinks Michael Jackson is the musician besides Elvis that changed America

billyworld99

Proud Member
Scholars and Critics Offer Candidates. Hint: One Claimed Not To Be Billie Jean's Lover.

Historian David Halberstam once identified the three most important events of the 1950s as the Brown v. Board of Education decision, the building of Levittown, and the rise of Elvis Presley. That a musician should rank among the top three important phenomena of a 10-year span is unusual, and no musician since has achieved such significance. Still, music matters a lot. It influences our perceptions, our social lives, and, sometimes, even our politics. And musicians do keep influencing us. Therefore, in advance of the Zócalo/Occidental College event “Can Popular Music Still Change Culture?”, we asked several writers and critics to address the following question: What musician, aside from Elvis Presley, changed American society the most?

Mark Anthony Neal
Mark-Anthony-Neal-e1369718738302.jpg

Michael Jackson
When Michael Jackson reached the commercial apex of his career in the mid-1980s, he did so not only on the strength of his formidable talent and creative vision, but also as the most visible embodiment of the broad traditions of African-American musicality.

For many, Jackson’s ascendance to the pinnacle of popular music could only be read through the prism of figures who defined the stakes in popular music, namely Elvis Presley and the Beatles. But both Presley and the Beatles owed much of what they did to the oft-diminished earlier generation of black blues and rhythm-and-blues artists (something that Presley never denied).

Jackson’s inspirational archive was wide-ranging, but he drew especially heavily on the Chitlin Circuit—the network of clubs, speakeasies, theaters (the Apollo being the most well known), restaurants, and even barns that incubated much of the Black music tradition during the early 20th century. Fully understanding that heritage gave Jackson his signature performance quality: making such thorough and inventive use of all those primary influences that people couldn’t even tell he was doing it. This move by Jackson was as much about his artistic ego—his interest in literally being the “Greatest Show on Earth” (he loved P.T. Barnum)—as it was about his respect for cultural and artistic roots. Michael Jackson’s singular brilliance was his capacity to archive a comprehensive history of Black musical performance and then both reproduce it, yet also create something that was truly original.

Jackson’s championing of Black musical traditions became particularly important when Jackson became a global phenomenon, in effect making those Black musical traditions part of an emerging global language—an effect seen in the huge global popularity of hip-hop culture and rap music. In this regard few could claim to have had the kind of impact that Jackson did.

Mark Anthony Neal is Professor of Black Popular Culture in the Department of African & African American Studies at Duke University and the author of several books including the just released Looking for Leroy: Illegible Black Masculinities (NYU Press).

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2...ideas/up-for-discussion/#.UaUJeivL7ZM.twitter

The thing is that Michael Jackson literally has changed America (The USA) and the world, not only in music and showbiz, but all students of law can simply study all MJ cases at any level, the betrayal, the conspiracy and all the players in the game at any level, the money machine/Estate thing, the sexual abuse at any level, the impact of media and tabloid, the jury thing, the prejudice (of guilt/colour p.), the presumption of innocence, the justice system, the public opinion, the health care and Vitiligo, the posthumous info/pics about a deceased man and the ethical aspect of printing such things including the most detailed trials uncovering anything private and personal and becoming public, the fanship, the cultural impact, the global range of status of being the ICON.....

Last edited:
^^^ You know what, you are absolutley right about that. Its so fustrating because the Media knows this that's why they go to such extreme lengths to defame his name and legacy to turn people off. There is certainly an agenda by the media to rewrite Michael's History years to come how they see fit. there have been supporters of Michael who researched the accruate truth regarding the allegations, Joe Vogel stepped up to write books about his music the only question is how do we get these things that proote his legacy out to the public?

I always picked four musicians for changing American pop culture:
Elvis
The Beatles
Aretha Franklin
MJ

And a label of acts:
Motown

I always picked four musicians for changing American pop culture:
Elvis
The Beatles
Aretha Franklin
MJ

And a label of acts:
Motown

Aretha franklin really? dont get me wrontg i do like her but i always felt it was mj, elvis & the beatles who really changed american pop culture

Micheal is singularly the most important and influential artist in music history.
Micheal was really the first artist to reach across all spectrum's of society. For the most part Elvis and the beatles were really only big amongst white people during their peaks before reaching a broader audience later. Granted part of that is the the way the word changed technologically but at the end of the day Elvis and the beatles were still very strongly reliant upon the US and UK markets for sales whereas MJ was huge EVERYWHERE.

He is the one who brought all races and nationalities together. His dancing became a language in itself. He has basically defined the urban music market for the last thirty years.

MJ was also far more talented musically. Elvis could sing and move (although there is a difference between moving and dancing. It's the reason James Brown is overrated as a dancer) but he was not really a composer or producer. The Beatles were very good, and even sometimes great composers but none of them had anywhere close to Micheal's overall talent.

The record sale thing is also an illusion. MJ had five straight albums sell 20m or more copies and three straight sell 30m or more which is something no other artist and history can come close to.

huh? I doubt anyone outside America knows or even heard of Aretha franklin.

huh? I doubt anyone outside America knows or even heard of Aretha franklin.

:doh:

LOL, yes people know who Aretha Franklin is outside of the US too.

I personally don't put her on the same level as MJ, Beatles, Elvis in terms of being a cultural icon, but she's well known and respected everywhere. I would say in terms of being a cultural icon I would put Madonna in that group rather than Franklin. Even though, obviously, Franklin is a lot, lot better singer and I'd personally rather listen to her than Madonna. I'm not a Madonna fan at all and I don't think in terms of talent she's up there with MJ or the Beatles or Aretha Franklin for that matter, but she is undeniably a very influential cultural icon.

Last edited:
Back