Scared Of The Moon

FedoraHatGirl2058

Proud Member
I always thought what the meaning of that song was, i have my thoughts, but what do some of you think he was talking about, it was writen by Michael Jackson

Scared Of The Moon (1985) (Michael Jackson)
Michael Jackson
Outtake of the album BAD (1987)
Note: The info provided by the TUC booklet is wrong!

• (4:42) "The Ultimate Collection"
    (Compilation, CD, 2004)
Here are the lyrics

Scared of the Moon
Alone she lays waiting
Surrounded by gloom
Invaded by shadows
Painting the room
The light from the window
Cuts through the air
And pins the child lying there
Scared of the moon

She pulls up the covers
And shivers in fright
She hides from the colour
That rides on the night
The light through the window
That lights up the sky
And causes her mournful cry
Scared of the moon

There’s nothing wrong
Don’t be bothered they said
It’s just childish fantasies turning your head
No need to worry
It’s really too soon
But there she lies shivering
Scared of the moon

Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon

The years go by swiftly
And soon childhood ends
But life is still fearful
When evening descends
The fear of the child
Still intrude the night
Returning on beams of light
Scared of the moon

The feeling of terror
She felt as a youth
Has turned from a fantasy
Into a truth
The moon is the enemy
Twisting her soul
And taking its fearful toll
Scared of the moon

But now there are others who sit in their room
And wait for the sunlight to brighten their gloom
Together they gather
Their lunacy shared
Not knowing just why they’re scared
Scared of the moon

Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon
Scared of the moon

For those of you who havent heard the song, here is a link to fan made video on youtube for it, is really beautiful to watch btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNR8p23vLc

to me is something related to a childhood fear

Last edited:
I heard this song recently. I just think about childhood fears following you into adult hood much like the moon seems to follow you when you're outside. I can understand that from MJ POV b/c he had been working since he was a child. He might not have gotten over those parts of his childhood.

I heard this song recently. I just think about childhood fears following you into adult hood much like the moon seems to follow you when you're outside. I can understand that from MJ POV b/c he had been working since he was a child. He might not have gotten over those parts of his childhood.
Yes the fear is defenetly present all over the song as well as sadness and anguish

Call me Captain Obvious but I thought it was about being scared of the dark. You know, a lot of kids are scared of the dark, and hence "wait for the sunlight to brighten their gloom"... Could be another childhood fear though.

Call me Captain Obvious but I thought it was about being scared of the dark. You know, a lot of kids are scared of the dark, and hence "wait for the sunlight to brighten their gloom"... Could be another childhood fear though.
Is good what you said, i wouldnt call you captain obvious, is your thought, im trying to know how people feel when they hear those lyrics along that peaceful music

Personaly I dont think that the song has a secret poetic meaning, I think its simply about a child being scared of the moon. That song is so original, only Michael could make a song like that. One of his best unreleased songs.

I agree in one sense. But MJ was a rather bold type and he may have been afraid or uncertain of everyday situations, but not of things requiring a real daring type of courage. My point of view is he was explaining to himself someone else's anguish and fear and took a spiritual look into her childhood since that is where most fears begin, and since he has had such a sensitivity to childhood pain, in order to explain to himself why she seemed so afraid in adulthood.

Goodness, such an incredibly beautiful song :wub:

Back