SCAM Alert. Are you getting phone calls by people claiming to be window tech support?

qbee

Proud Member
Heads up .. Scam alert

I have received 2 call this week from someone claiming to be Window tech support (they both had India accents). They claimed they have received alerts from my PC that there is a problem. I know windows or MSN does not contact people in this manner so I played along for a min to see what they wanted. They were guiding me to give them access by opening open up my port so they could gain access and fix the prob. Once they requested that I called them out. They will argue with you and insist they are legit Please don't fall for this scam or do what they request.

I went on line after to see what was going on and found this
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_10...-calls-by-people-claiming-to-be-tech-support/

They would probably ask you for your IP and other ID stuff in order to "fix" the problems. Don't let anyone know your IP. People can do all kinds of things. Starting from gaining information about your exact address till stealing your other information, files and ending up to send a virus trojan to your PC. A program called ProRat can easily do that by the way. All you need to know is IP and port number and if you know something about hacking you can do pretty much (I'm not advertising such actions and the specific program, just for sake to show an example for people to be aware).

Back