SAT's: Do they really matter?

Courtney

Proud Member
I'll be a senior in the fall and I just got my second round of SAT's results. I did worse than the first time. :( I'm totally bummed right now. My first scores in reading and writing were great but my math score was so low that I can't even reach 1000 with reading and math together. I'm just not a math person at all. I can do the basic stuff and some Algebra, but anything beyond that, forget it. The second time I did worse in both sections. I feel like a third time would be useless.

I don't understand why I can't do well on this test. I'm a straight A student in honors and AP classes (I'm not bragging :( ). But I can't take this stupid aptitude test! What is wrong here? It's so frustrating. I feel like I wasted my money completely because this test proves nothing. What do I work so hard for in school if this test is the only thing that matters? I took ACT's as well, so I'm hoping they went a little better. Thankfully the schools I'm apply to will accept either or.

Curious for those who have gone or are in college right now, how important were your SAT (or ACT) scores during the admissions process? Were they a deciding factor if you had a great transcript (grades, volunteer, activities)? Were they a key component as to what kind of classes you would be placed in your freshman year of college (this, I'm hoping not)?

Also, any personal opinions on the SAT's? Thumbs up or thumbs down? I'm going with thumbs down. I think it's all about knowing HOW to take the test. Not about having knowledge.

That's quite simple. School doesn't measure your intelligence, just your ability to regurgitate information to your teacher's satisfaction[thus, one can be a straight-A student, even an AP student, while having an average I.Q., and one can be at genius level I.Q. and perform poorly in school]. In K-12, homework and attendance compose the greatest part of a given student's grade, so it is technically possible to pass with good to average marks by diligently doing homework and attending class, even if performance on test/quizzes wasn't impressive. Thus, it is possible [and often times probable] that students can pass a class with good marks without necessarily understanding/really learning the material in question. Standardized exams, on the other hand, do more accurately measure one's understanding of the material presented because they do not exhibit a familiar pattern [you can usually tell which tests your teacher did/did not write], and test for a variety of things within a given subject [so the likelihood of you being able to go back to previous questions in the test and finding an answer/hint to a future question is small]. Moreover, you can't prepare for standardized tests as well as you can for teacher-distributed ones, whose authors will most often tell you what is/isn't going to be on the test, so that you can cram like Hell the night before and remember material in your short-term memory.

I have to laugh at all those people who enroll their kids in SAT prep courses/buy SAT prep books, or hire SAT tutors, in hopes of somehow cheating the system or preparing their child when it is entirely too late. With the SAT, you either know the material, or you don't. Watching the parents of said children cringe in horror at the atrocious SAT scores they bring home, after spending unknown quantities of money not only on the exams, but on the prep books/courses/tutors, is also pretty amusing. You can't buy your way into performing well--and the SAT questions aren't exactly difficult--they're material your child should ideally already be proficient in.

That's why I never studied for the SAT. In fact, I didn't even know when I was going to take the damn thing. I didn't want to take it, as I wasn't planning on going to college, but my mother had [without my knowledge, the damnable wretch!] signed me up to take the test at some strange high school one Saturday morning. I didn't even have time to eat. Well, like you, I suck at mathematics. The first time I took the SAT, my math score was 450, my reading was 700, and my writing was 680. The second time, when I was even more unwilling to go and pay attention to what I was doing [still no preparation or any of that silly stuff], my math was 500, reading was 680, and writing was 730. As you can see, there really was no great difference between the first and second time, resulting in my second SAT sitting being a complete and total waste of money.

With that said, you can combine your SAT scores from both sittings to get the best-possible score in some colleges. This would not be cheating the system, as they are your scores, and therefore they reflect your abilities. So, if you did better at math the first time and better at reading the second time, send both SAT exam scores [via collegeboard.com] to your college of choice, and most will take the best scores from each section [known as "superscoring"] for you anyway.

It is also inevitable to ask--do you suffer from test anxiety? Sometimes [not often, but sometimes] poor test scores are to blame on test anxiety, which some people legitimately do suffer from. If so, perhaps you can ask for accommodations, or find some coping strategies for your test anxiety. This condition is most often found in people who do not realize that standardized tests, much like school tests, are utter b.s. with no other purpose in mind than to make someone a lot of money.

In other words, to answer your title question, do SATs really matter? No. Do they really matter to colleges? [a better way to phrase the question] It depends on your college of choice more than on the tests themselves. Some colleges will really emphasize SAT/ACT scores, while others will look for strong GPAs, or strong athletic/community involvement, depending on what that school's best interest/manner of raising money is. No matter what the emphasis is on, however, they will look for signs of docility/susceptibility to indoctrination/conformity [3-4.+GPA= follows authority figures, goes to class, doesn't question orders, etc. SAT/ACT scores= is willing to spend money on dumb things because the state (by this, meaning the national pressure to take either) says so, doesn't question orders, community/athletic involvement=hive/pack mentality, easily malleable, weak sense of self, doesn't question orders, etc.] No matter which one they emphasize, they all mean pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for your reply. :) But I still don't understand the significance of it. I'm just not a test taker. I wouldn't say I have test anxiety because I'm find with other tests. But the SAT I felt a lot of pressure because of my school and the hype about how "important" they are. Knowing each section is timed also puts a lot of pressure on me and I freak out. I feel rushed and then I lose focus. I'm also wondering if they are an indication of your success in college. Will I only be a C (average) student in college just because my SAT and ACT scores were in the average range? Even though I'm extremely motivated and a very hard worker? That aspect doesn't make sense to me when I hear that these stupid tests are a good indicator of how I will perform in college. While you say that school doesn't measure one's intelligence, neither does the SAT/ACT. How is it that some people who take it can do really well the first time but worse the second? What exactly does that prove? That you got dumber the second time you took it?

At my school, our homework 99% of the time is to study. We don't get much written homework and in most classes we don't get any written homework at all. Our grade in each class depends on 2 or 3 big exams each quarter. I don't get by getting straight A's by doing homework and attending class. I have to study and know the material, just as I would in a college class.

I was one of those idiots enrolled in an SAT class and I do have to agree that it was not effective one bit. Both the test and the class were a huge waste of money for me.

SAT/ACT scores= is willing to spend money on dumb things because the state says so

haha, this made me laugh but is so true.

Wow, thank you for your reply. :) But I still don't understand the significance of it. I'm just not a test taker. I wouldn't say I have test anxiety because I'm find with other tests. But the SAT I felt a lot of pressure because of my school and the hype about how "important" they are. Knowing each section is timed also puts a lot of pressure on me and I freak out. I feel rushed and then I lose focus. I'm also wondering if they are an indication of your success in college. Will I only be a C (average) student in college just because my SAT and ACT scores were in the average range? Even though I'm extremely motivated and a very hard worker? That aspect doesn't make sense to me when I hear that these stupid tests are a good indicator of how I will perform in college. While you say that school doesn't measure one's intelligence, neither does the SAT/ACT. How is it that some people who take it can do really well the first time but worse the second? What exactly does that prove? That you got dumber the second time you took it?

At my school, our homework 99% of the time is to study. We don't get much written homework and in most classes we don't get any written homework at all. Our grade in each class depends on 2 or 3 big exams each quarter. I don't get by getting straight A's by doing homework and attending class. I have to study and know the material, just as I would in a college class.

I was one of those idiots enrolled in an SAT class and I do have to agree that it was not effective one bit. Both the test and the class were a huge waste of money for me.

haha, this made me laugh but is so true.

In regards to homework/attendance composing a major part of someone's grade, I was talking in general, especially pertaining to the public school system (which I had to put up with for 12 years). I am assuming you go to a private school, since there is no way the state would approve of such a format for a class--in pretty much all public school classes, there has to be a more or less varied distribution of points for a grade to be made up [i.e. 70% homework, 5%attendance, 35% tests and/or quizzes]. Variance in format does, of course, exist--but not to a degree where your grade would be determined by two or three assignments/tests. This is mainly the reason why most people do extremely well in public school, only to find they completely fall flat during college, even though it's all the same mindless regurgitation. The reason public schools do not follow "higher education" formats is because, if the passing/failing of classes consisted on only two or three assignments, most kids [especially in lower grades] would fail miserably, and the state schools would lose funding. If, under the current circumstances, the public school system is suffering from under-performance, imagine how bad it would be if we were to switch to the "college" way of doing things!

With that said, no, the SAT does not measure one's intelligence. Before the SAT was changed from 1600 to 2400 format, it was an accurate indicator of intelligence and was taken as the equivalent of an I.Q. test. Nowadays, however, it no longer retains any such value. In its modern format, the SAT is a watered-down version of itself, measuring adequate performance rather than outright proficiency. In other words, it measures more-or-less what you should ideally be halfway decent at doing before you consider college. However, it is not unheard of that people who do well in the SATs do poorly in college, and vice versa. There are people who have better GPAs than I do, who did piss poorly on the SATs, and this is due to the fact that they're more docile than I.

I take responsibility and acknowledge my actions--if I don't like a class, I'm known to be a rare presence. Most professors do not mind this if done smartly, however, some of them will greatly emphasize attendance, such as my old geography professor, who greatly deducted points from people's grades due to attendance even if their work was, education system wise, up to par/ beyond that which the other people write (A and B work). Other professors value consistency more than attendance, which means your grade will be largely held up by a million pointless assignments which consist of pointing out the obvious facts in readings and answering a pre-determined set of questions without putting any original input/doing anything other than regurgitating the text from the readings/notes from the lectures. I did not do all of them. Some profs. take great offence to that, while others are just as fed up with the system as you, and are therefore more sympathetic to your mini-rebellions.

There is a rare breed of prof. however. The kind of people who compose this breed actually do give a shit about quality of work rather than completion of work/general attendance to class. They're the kind who give you 2 or 3 assignments, essays usually, as these permit more freedom of thought. These essays are generally very flexible in regards to theme. Sometimes, you're even permitted to select the topic. These are the classes I got straight A's in.

What does this tell you? The SAT is not the lone set-in-stone indicator of your performance in college. There are far more important variants which most students overlook, such as getting to know an individual professor, and, more importantly, getting to know their tactics/preferences/approach to things. Examine the things they emphasize importance in [i.e. essays, homework, attendance, tests] and exploit these ruthlessly. Talk to them often, so as to maximize your influence in their sphere of existence. In the best case scenario, you'll not only have a professor, but a valuable friend with great knowledge. In the worst case, you'll have someone who is willing to help you out in his class. Either way, it doesn't hurt to approach them. Make friends with the most awful ones, too. The popular ones will be used to being approached and therefore desensitized to the effect your presence will have. The unpopular ones, on the other hand, are probably questioning their life choices and craving reassurance of their competence from someone, and would be willing to share their much overlooked and valuable knowledge, not only in regards to their class, but to the college system as a whole, in exchange for such validation. Establish strong connections, especially if you want to go to grad school. These professors are also bound to give you the most stellar recommendations. Engrave yourself in the memory of someone important--that person [or people] will be far more useful in the long run, especially in regards to internship opportunities/recommendations to employers [if you're lucky enough to find a job offering within your major only] or grad schools than some idiot frat boy who's probably going to end up on welfare anyway.

Don't be afraid to ask for extensions/accommodations either, especially if you suffer from test anxiety, as it appears you do from what you've told me regarding your SAT experience. These don't make you any less of a person. If anything, they're bound to grant you more prominence in the eye of the professor/academic support staff, as you're taking care of the issue before it arises, unlike the hordes of students who come begging for help/a second chance/extension when it is entirely too late. Most profs. understand shit happens, and the academic staff will most likely be willing to grant you the necessary accommodations, especially pertaining to such common problems as test anxiety.

The whole trick to succeeding in college is learning to manipulate and exploit the system for all it's worth. In fact, I daresay that's the whole point of life.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I never took the SAT and still got an engineering degree from an accredited university.

Back